• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That they do up to a point I suppose- 3 rings is still 3 rings. They aren't full Marlins or Phillies in the scouting/saber spectrum, but they seem to do fine regardless.
Marlins brought in some sabermetrics guys this offseason.. but to be honest.. their ability to get value out of their farm has been pretty good over the years without it too.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins brought in some sabermetrics guys this offseason.. but to be honest.. their ability to get value out of their farm has been pretty good over the years without it too.
Yeah, but you have to admit the infrastructure for said saber guys is probably behind by quite a bit.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but you have to admit the infrastructure for said saber guys is probably behind by quite a bit.
oh totally... The Tigers are way behind on sabermetrics too. There is a place for it for sure in front offices.. but there has to be common sense balance.

Teams that focus on it to much end up like the A's teams of recent that do well in the regular season then poop the bed when playoff time comes. Sometimes you need someone with an eye for talent to tell sabermetrics people when to give up on a guy and when to give a guy more time.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh totally... The Tigers are way behind on sabermetrics too. There is a place for it for sure in front offices.. but there has to be common sense balance.

Teams that focus on it to much end up like the A's teams of recent that do well in the regular season then poop the bed when playoff time comes. Sometimes you need someone with an eye for talent to tell sabermetrics people when to give up on a guy and when to give a guy more time.
I have argued this for a while that relievers, especially tier 1 guys, become much more valuable in the condensed postseason format. It's kind of interesting for instance to see the Red Sox and Yankees hoarding relievers all over. Not confident you can simply force that to happen, but it's interesting nonetheless. Another frontier is how to accurately quantify defense and I am willing to bet that's probably where a couple teams like the Pirates and Royals are ahead of most the league right now.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have argued this for a while that relievers, especially tier 1 guys, become much more valuable in the condensed postseason format. It's kind of interesting for instance to see the Red Sox and Yankees hoarding relievers all over. Not confident you can simply force that to happen, but it's interesting nonetheless. Another frontier is how to accurately quantify defense and I am willing to bet that's probably where a couple teams like the Pirates and Royals are ahead of most the league right now.

Relievers are a hard thing to figure out.. their lifespan is not long and you have to catch lighting in a bottle with them. A guy may be lights out in the minors in relief then suck in the MLB... a guy may suck as a starter then be a stud reliever... Their numbers can fluctuate so much from one season to the next.. that is why Wade Davis run is so impressive.. there isn't a very long list of relievers than put up numbers like he has this long when you compare to the amount of starters that have long careers.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Investing big money into relievers is probably the worst investment you can make.. and a big reason you don't see them getting more than 3 or 4 years in a contract.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Johnny Cueto’s extra workload from the Royals’ postseason run will slightly impact how the Giants treat him in camp, pitching coach Dave Righetti tellsHenry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. “He’s been through some playoff situations, but when you go to the World Series you go the extra mile,” Righetti said. “We know it takes stuff out of guys regardless of how young and strong they are….So, absolutely, you would monitor him anyway. Being that he pitched an extra month, you’re darn right.”
huh... @SlinkyRedfoot odd they would do this if it didn't matter.

Holy shit! Cueto's only pitched 200 innings or more in three of his eight major league seasons, and a new team intends to monitor his health? What in the world is going on here?

The article I posted mentioned this type of thing. Pitchers get injured, Vice.

Odd that this same pitching coach didn't seem overly concerned about his ace in 2015, after his inning count increased by 34% from 2013 to 2014.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Investing big money into relievers is probably the worst investment you can make.. and a big reason you don't see them getting more than 3 or 4 years in a contract.
And that's probably the riddle here. When do you demote a guy to AAAA-Dom and when do you put a guy in the pen? How do you go about building such a project? Brute force emphasis on pitching? Is that really a strategy that is sustainable? Lot's of tough questions for the guys upstairs to carefully answer.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! Cueto's only pitched 200 innings or more in three of his eight major league seasons, and a new team intends to monitor his health? What in the world is going on here?

The article I posted mentioned this type of thing. Pitchers get injured, Vice.

Odd that this same pitching coach didn't seem overly concerned about his ace in 2015, after his inning count increased by 34% from 2013 to 2014.
keep arguing to argue

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's probably the riddle here. When do you demote a guy to AAAA-Dom and when do you put a guy in the pen? How do you go about building such a project? Brute force emphasis on pitching? Is that really a strategy that is sustainable? Lot's of tough questions for the guys upstairs to carefully answer.
Tigers are probably the worst team I have seen with understanding when to take a starter in the minors and give up on that and move him to the pen... Verhagen is the first guy they did it to in a while and it worked.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who were his ID's on CBS? Who was in the "ring of trolls" ?

shit, mostly Vice's "other" ID's, anyone could make more ID's, it was crazy how much time he had on his hands, he had made 100's of Id names, most revolved around Tigers info, Miami info or Michigan info. It was funny, CBS went to a feature where you could have a list of the people you followed. I would just add each one that "talked" like Vice, it wasn't hard, he would just trash someone with similar talk. I would "follow" it, flag him and then it actually listed them as "banned". I had so many names "banned" on my list it grew comical.

The "Ring of Trolls" were mostly all Vice's ID's and a few who thought it was fun to be a part of it.

Vice tried to start doing it on the hoop, but hammer put a stop to it pretty quick.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers are probably the worst team I have seen with understanding when to take a starter in the minors and give up on that and move him to the pen... Verhagen is the first guy they did it to in a while and it worked.

it worked? the guy hasn't pitched over 35 innings yet