• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 8/9/2017: Sale fans 13, Rangers sell reliever to Mariners for $1

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the easiest, stress free complete games against the Yankees last week, that ive seen in a long time

Once that guy has you at 2 strikes, his slider is impossible to deal with

The commentator was talking about that a couple of starts ago. I don't remember the numbers, but he said that with two strikes, Kluber turns the most Ks and it wasn't particularly close.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smaaat move
7-3
Yeah they moved Fister to pitch Monday in the make up game. So Sale will start Sunday night, and then either Friday or Saturday the following series.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pooholes

2 for his last 29

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock

Rented a cabin up in DeerMountain, Saturday to Friday

Woke up like 5am to go for a hike, gigantic black bear dragging my garbage up the mountain

Later in the day see the bear and her 2 Cubs hovering above the cabin

$600 a night, went to management and told them we are outta here

5 young kids, daughters and their cousins can't be outside playing with bears

Vacation ruined

Dirt

Interesting you say that. Rented a condo in Estes Park Colorado. Told not to leave food in cars because of bears. Daughter freaks out and is scared to use hot tub. However she is more than willing to do night time tour of stanley hotel (from the Shining). Rains all days but one, no bears for excitement, vaca semi ruined.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commentator was talking about that a couple of starts ago. I don't remember the numbers, but he said that with two strikes, Kluber turns the most Ks and it wasn't particularly close.

Thinking about it more, it must have been Kluber's slider specifically, as I'm pretty sure that every K in baseball starts with two strikes.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a tight race. I'd probably have given it to Felix, but what are you going to do? I said as much in the Mariners forum and said that I understood why Mariners fans might be butthurt. Dios Mio. You'd have thought I walked into those guys' homes, fucked their wives, smacked their children and then shit on their kitchen tables. Sensitive bunch over there.
Seattle fans are naïve and a bit touchy. The football fans are far worse than the baseball fans. I was at a Mariner game in the old Kingdome during one of my vacations from Alaska. RJ took a no hitter into the 7th. Family sitting in front of me was completely oblivious to what was going on. They were beating a steady path to the concessions and souvenirs. Probably dropped $300. When the no-no got broken up in the 7th, some of the home crowd stood and applauded RJ's effort. The family asked what was going on. They had no idea.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is at 60%, Sale is 2nd at 57.8%

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirt

Interesting you say that. Rented a condo in Estes Park Colorado. Told not to leave food in cars because of bears. Daughter freaks out and is scared to use hot tub. However she is more than willing to do night time tour of stanley hotel (from the Shining). Rains all days but one, no bears for excitement, vaca semi ruined.

They offered us other accommodations, but much smaller spaces, with far less amenities....the wife specifically researched this one house, which was awesome for us and the kids, they were somewhat cordial in understanding the situation, but when one of the woman said "oh they are harmless, they are more scared of you", the wife flipped out.......a bunch of 10 year olds playing all over the grounds with a Momma bear within 50 yards, why is this even a debate, gimme my money back.....No fencing or warning signs......And of course the proverbial, "we've never seen them come down to the cottages".........They were bordering on accusing us of making it up

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bawstun better keep an eye on Kluber. He's already stolen a CY from King Felix. He could it from Chris Sale too.

I just took another look at that 2014 CY Race. Damn it was close.

I still think I'd give it to Hernandez, but I definitely don't think he was screwed. I could have lived with either of them winning it.

Bill James & Rob Neyer came up with a formula for a CY Predictor, based on pitchers' current year stats. I always find it interesting to check out.

The formula is:

Cy Young Points (CYP) = ((5*IP/9)-ER) + (SO/12) + (SV*2.5) + Shutouts + ((W*6)-(L*2)) + VB (see below).

VB: Victory Bonus is a 12-point bonus awarded for leading your team to the division championship

It actually had Scherzer finishing 2nd ahead of Felix, but the voting didn't bear that out.

ESPN keeps the formula current and has archives here. Obviously, it's not guaranteed, but it's picked 80% of the last 20 CY winners correctly.

Felix broke it in '10, though. It predicted him 7th. That 13-12 record threw the formula off big time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is at 60%, Sale is 2nd at 57.8%

I don't know if you saw my previous post - I think the guy was talking about Kluber's slider specifically. I don't know if that changes anything, but I suspect it does.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about it more, it must have been Kluber's slider specifically, as I'm pretty sure that every K in baseball starts with two strikes.
What I looked was the Ks/plate appearances that a batter reached 2 strikes

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I looked was the Ks/plate appearances that a batter reached 2 strikes

Makes sense. That addresses what I initially thought the guy said, but not the slider.

I have no idea how to look up specific pitch results at specific counts.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. That addresses what I initially thought the guy said, but not the slider.

I have no idea how to look up specific pitch results at specific counts.
Yeah I'm not sure if that information is available. Kluber has gotten 2 strikes on 305 of the 509 batters he's faced, and struck out 183 of them.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, it's available, maybe just not to us.
Yeah I just meant that I can't use the fangraphs "splits leaderboard" and break it down to the pitch thrown.

I can break it down by the inning, how many times a pitcher has seen the lineup, whether the batter is circumcised or not, and the month, etc etc

And I only made one of those up

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just meant that I can't use the fangraphs "splits leaderboard" and break it down to the pitch thrown.

I can break it down by the inning, how many times a pitcher has seen the lineup, whether the batter is circumcised or not, and the month, etc etc

And I only made one of those up

I'm circumcised, but I still have enough foreskin that I can tuck four or five skittles in there when I'm soft.