• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

76ers move Ben Simmons to SF?

Should the 76ers sign a Point Guard free agent and move Ben Simmons to the SF position?

• Yes, get a cheap solid Point Guard.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Simmons is the answer at that position.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With solid point guards in this year's free agent pool, should the 76ers sign one, and move Ben Simmons to the 3 postion (Small Forward)?

Possible free agents to sign:

Ricky Rubio
Derrick Rose
Elfrid Payton
Kemba Walker
Patrick Beverley
Jeremy Lin

5acbb168a57d6.image.jpg

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With solid point guards in this year's free agent pool, should the 76ers sign one, and move Ben Simmons to the 3 postion (Small Forward)?

Ricky Rubio
Derrick Rose
Elfrid Payton
Kemba Walker
Patrick Beverley
Jeremy Lin

View attachment 208985

not trying to nitpick, but I think they shoulda did that with him from the jump...

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how interchangeable the positions in the NBA are now in this day and age... and how versatile a guy like Simmons is... I don't really think it matters much what position you technically slot him in at.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how interchangeable the positions in the NBA are now in this day and age... and how versatile a guy like Simmons is... I don't really think it matters much what position you technically slot him in at.

Agree.

I'd also add that Simmons issue (he can't/won't shoot perimeter shots) will still be the same if he moved to SF.

In fact, I'd even say that it would make it more pronounced because perimeter shooting is more or less expected from SF's and taking the ball out of his hands limits his opportunities to impact the game. He wouldn't be running the offense and setting up his teammates, both of which he is very good at.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An SF that can't shoot.... interesting but lolable.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No . They'd be better off moving him to C and Embiid to SF. Your SF needs to be able to shoot. The only 2 spots on the court you don't NEED shooting from are PG and C. Simmons is best fit at PG

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An SF that can't shoot.... interesting but lolable.

You mean the same position that Giannis played for a few years, where he couldn't shoot either. You're like the definition of a face palm.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like @Gman said there's no real positional change that's necessary, it's mostly just putting different players out on the court with him at the same time. Basically one scenario has you putting an additional guard on the court, where as with Simmons as a "PG" you have another front court player in the lineup.

It just really depends on WHO they can surround him. Shifting his position is meaningless because ultimately he's going to do much of the same things he's going to do anyways. It's just the plan of attack changes based on who else is on the court with him. There are positives and negatives to both, imo.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the same position that Giannis played for a few years, where he couldn't shoot either. You're like the definition of a face palm.
Giannis played SF only for 3 months during 2013 and the Bucks ended the season with 17~65 (!!!) record.

He was moved to PG for the next season and the Bucks made the playoffs...

After his 2nd season and thereafter, he moved to "PF with a multiple role" ,so that he can do some of the ballhandling (PG) and also some "pick and roll" that CFs do...

I guess talking basketball with you is like talking with a monkey about poetry...

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giannis played SF only for 3 months during 2013 and the Bucks ended the season with 17~65 (!!!) record.

After his first season, he moved to "PF with a multiple role" ,so that he can do some of the ballhandling (PG) and also some "pick and roll" that CFs do...

I guess talking basketball with you is like talking with a monkey about poetry...

So basically Simmons and Giannis do the same exact thing but you want to argue over the semantics of the position, in a game which positions have virtually been eliminated. Doesn't surprise me that you don't understand anything about basketball.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. What they really need are perimeter shooters that can switch defensively (and to replace the depth they traded away)....and to get Embiid on an offseason training regimen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After his 2nd season and thereafter, he moved to "PF with a multiple role" ,so that he can do some of the ballhandling (PG) and also some "pick and roll" that CFs do...

You're acting like Giannis in 2013 was as good as he was in the years since. Simply not true. A forward can be the player initiating the offense (Lebron comes to mind), but if you're going to spend a lot of time at the arc, you need to be able to hit perimeter shots to keep the defense honest. Lebron improved his jumper, now it's on Giannis and especially Simmons to do the same.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF's need to be able to shoot a 3....
It's what a 3 does... shooting and scoring! ...eversince basketball ever existed, that's what 3s do!

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're acting like Giannis in 2013 was as good as he was in the years since. Simply not true. A forward can be the player initiating the offense (Lebron comes to mind), but if you're going to spend a lot of time at the arc, you need to be able to hit perimeter shots to keep the defense honest. Lebron improved his jumper, now it's on Giannis and especially Simmons to do the same.
1. I never acted like Giannis was the player he now is back in his rookie season... you surely confuse me for somebody else I was replying on (some stupid kid).
2. I fully agree... Therefore unless Simmons proves he can shoot, it's suicidal for a coach to move him at 3... He can't defend on the perimeter either!

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what a 3 does... shooting and scoring! ...eversince basketball ever existed, that's what 3s do!

280.jpg

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ricky Rubio
Derrick Rose
Elfrid Payton
Kemba Walker
Patrick Beverley
Jeremy Lin

View attachment 208985

Walker and Beverly are the only 2 in that list that really make sense to me.

The rest are mostly PGs that can’t shoot. They need someone who can space the floor a bit. Beverly isn’t a great shooter but his defense is elite and his shooting isn’t terrible.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like @Gman said there's no real positional change that's necessary, it's mostly just putting different players out on the court with him at the same time. Basically one scenario has you putting an additional guard on the court, where as with Simmons as a "PG" you have another front court player in the lineup.

It just really depends on WHO they can surround him. Shifting his position is meaningless because ultimately he's going to do much of the same things he's going to do anyways. It's just the plan of attack changes based on who else is on the court with him. There are positives and negatives to both, imo.

Honestly,

I have always thought Brett Brown’s schemes are a really poor fit for Simmons.

Get him attacking downhill off a pick and roll and he is really hard to guard. Instead, he gives the ball up early and basically becomes a post player while Embiid handles the ball and Reddick runs off screens.

Brown needs to use Simmons strengths more effectively. While the presence of Harris and Butler was surely part of that last year, I believe Simmons can be a greater offensive weapon than what he has shown thus far.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Simmons gets a jump shot, I’d keep him at the one. Get some three and D players for wings, keep embiid and Harris, and I think they take the East next year barring some unforeseen fa moves.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, I don't agree with Jeremy Lin being called a solid point guard.