• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 5) Indiana Pacers vs. 4) Cleveland Cavaliers

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the 76ers have a better defense than the Pacers?

With Embiid in the lineup, yes. When Embiid's in the lineup, it's nearly impossible to get a clean look at the basket without him getting a block. If he wasn't playing in game 4. Miami completely blows out Philly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL- you used to be able to destroy the QB. Now you can barely touch them.

I swear I've seen guys get called for roughing the passer because they looked at the QB too long. lol

Standards change. The people that cry about "the NBA is so soft nowadays- that was a regular foul 2 decades" just sound like old sad bastards that cant get with the times.

Yes and no. The 90's were a lot of fun with all of the physical play, but it went too far, imo. Some games looked more like hockey than basketball.

I like how open today's game is and the ball movement at times is incredible. But I also think they have taken too much of the physicality out of the game.

Imo, the 80's had a great mix of physical play and open offense (for lack of a better term). I'd like to see things get closer to that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize how much better the game since the 90s right?

Better is a matter of perspective. Just because something changes, doesn't mean it's better. It also doesn't mean it's worse. Sometimes, it's just different.

The overly physical play in the 90's wasn't better than the style that was played in the 80's, but it was still fun. I'd wager though, that fans of some the teams that took advantage of that style like the Pistons, Knicks, Heat (to an extent) and even the Bulls, likely think the 90's was great. For some of those teams, that represents some of their best years.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better. Look at the numbers
Philly finished 3rd in DEF Rating. Indy finished 12th
Philly had the best OPP FG% in the league. Indy finished 18th.
Philly finished 2nd in OPP 3 pt %. Indy finished 5th.
Simply, Philly is a great defensive team. Indy is damn good as well but like everything between those 2 teams, Philly is just better

Philly probably has about 3 of top 10 defenders in the NBA. (Simmons, RoCo, Embiid) Joel has shot at being defensive player of the year. Amir is solid D backup.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly probably has about 3 of top 10 defenders in the NBA. (Simmons, RoCo, Embiid) Joel has shot at being defensive player of the year. Amir is solid D backup.

I'd be mildly shocked if Embiid doesn't win DPOY. Only reason he wouldn't is his minutes restriction might screw him over in voting....maybe. But watching Embiid in game 4 on defense was nauseating as a Heat fan.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7. If the Cavs not only are to survive the Pacer series, their defense must keep improving to advance deeper in the playoffs. During the regular season, the Cavs ranked 28th in defensive efficiency. In the playoffs, they are No. 3 -- behind Indiana and Golden State.

Cleveland Cavaliers Scribbles: Have they found winning formula? -- Terry Pluto

As per usual, the panic about the Cavs defense hath been overstated for about the 18th straight year (or at least the 3rd)

Not really. Indiana is not a great offensive team by any stretch of the imagination.

The last 3 years, Cleveland has generally coasted through the playoffs. Here they are in a dog fight with the Pacers in the 1st round. If you think the general concerns regarding the Cavs is the same as the previous 3 years, I don't know what to tell you.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize how much better the game since the 90s right?
disagree wholeheartedly. this one on one look at me AAU style has ruined basketball. Thankfully, it looks like it is going back toward team play and away from the AAU garbage, but the 90s were better.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better is a matter of perspective. Just because something changes, doesn't mean it's better. It also doesn't mean it's worse. Sometimes, it's just different.

The overly physical play in the 90's wasn't better than the style that was played in the 80's, but it was still fun. I'd wager though, that fans of some the teams that took advantage of that style like the Pistons, Knicks, Heat (to an extent) and even the Bulls, likely think the 90's was great. For some of those teams, that represents some of their best years.

all I'll say is "sad old bastard" is better than young, dinky dicked wimp...
:D
but more to your point I'm kinda the same way when thinking how the game was back in the day. Let's face it, compared to today the game IS softer. but I agree, one isn't better or worse. Is what it is...

Last edited:

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors are better than Pacers. Wizards or the Raptors will provide a better challenge than the Pacers have. Will they blow away two winable games like the Pacers or dig themselves in a double digit hole at home so easy?

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be mildly shocked if Embiid doesn't win DPOY. Only reason he wouldn't is his minutes restriction might screw him over in voting....maybe. But watching Embiid in game 4 on defense was nauseating as a Heat fan.

But if Embiid doesn't win it -- it will probably be Gobert. (who has played fewer games than Embiid)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe if Izzo thinks the NCAA is going to hammer a ton of programs from the FBI probe they can get him to come to Cleveland.

I just hope LeBron stays---- if he does- and they can replace Lue, so much the better.

Budenholzer from the Hawks would be awesome but it looks like he is going to the Suns. I am really getting down on Lues future after the last few months.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors are better than Pacers. Wizards or the Raptors will provide a better challenge than the Pacers have. Will they blow away two winable games like the Pacers or dig themselves in a double digit hole at home so easy?
Raptors are better than the Pacers---- but when you look at this Pacers team there is something there. This team really likes eachother, it plays extremely hard, they listen to their coach and they dont make mistakes and they play as a team.

The Raptors have historically always seemed to make mistakes at the worst time, they get to ISO reliant, they cant guard the 3.

The Pacers are, in a lot of ways, kind of a tough matchup for the Cavs. One of the reasons why the Cavs went 1-3 against them in the regular season.

The Pacers are just a tough, well coached team that does not make mistakes. Playing against a Cavs team that has had very very little time to build chemistry gave them a fighting chance- as the Pacers chemistry is very very good.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as many wins as Oladipo has added to the Pacers this year, yesterday he took one away, IMO. Thought he played very poorly and had horrific shot selection in the last 6 minutes or so. If he plays just halfway decent, the Pacers are looking at a 3-1 lead. As such, think the Cavs have a big momentum swing here.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gsi4o6f6tnds2ttsrdxc.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Indiana is not a great offensive team by any stretch of the imagination.

The last 3 years, Cleveland has generally coasted through the playoffs. Here they are in a dog fight with the Pacers in the 1st round. If you think the general concerns regarding the Cavs is the same as the previous 3 years, I don't know what to tell you.
I think they are in a dog fight because of their lack of chemistry, continuity, roster turnover and injuries more so than their defense is what my point was.

IF the Cavs had 2 more months to straighten out some of the issues they had- do you think this would be looking at a 6 or 7 game series with the Pacers and the Cavs only getting the 4 seed? I rather doubt it myself.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as many wins as Oladipo has added to the Pacers this year, yesterday he took one away, IMO. Thought he played very poorly and had horrific shot selection in the last 6 minutes or so. If he plays just halfway decent, the Pacers are looking at a 3-1 lead. As such, think the Cavs have a big momentum swing here.
dude gotta give some much needed credit to JR. He played some very very good defense.

Honestly- sadly enough- i think hes been the 2nd best Cav in this series thus far and I dont think its particularly close. His defense has literally changed the series.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give credit to Lue, he's been able to keep his job for 2 years on a LeBron team.

I think only Spoelstra has been able to keep his job longer on a LeBron team and that was because Spoelstra is like Pat Riley's protégé and Riley would never get rid of Spoelstra.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give credit to Lue, he's been able to keep his job for 2 years on a LeBron team.

I think only Spoelstra has been able to keep his job longer on a LeBron team and that was because Spoelstra is like Pat Riley's protégé and Riley would never get rid of Spoelstra.

well, Spo's not exactly a puppet...

just sayin'...