• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From that Group I protect Cousins. Not a big loss if any of those others are picked.

I like Cousins, but I'm not sure where he fits in anymore and he's still a RFA, which makes him far less likely to be picked by Vegas. Also, can he do what Weise just did in the last 14 games? I'm not so sure. Maybe he's a guy that replaces VV on the 4th line however and can move up when necessary.

I feel like we're actually sort of leaving some guys unsigned only so that Vegas doesn't take them.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the other question before that happens is who do we protect at the forward position aside from Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier and Filppula? There is one more slot open. Does it go to PEB, Read, Raffl or Weise? Technically Cousins or Laughton are exposed too, but I doubt Vegas would pick either of them, being young, unsigned RFA's. I believe Vegas has to draft a minimum of 20 players signed for at least next season, so they won't be picking many free agents.

Then, which goalie are we protecting? That's also an interesting decision, considering Neuvy is the only one currently signed.

Hextall seemed pretty sure they were going to sign and protect Stolarz, even said something close to that, when Neuvy was signed. So I expect that will be the plan there.

Up front, PEB, Read, Raffl, and Cousins are all replaceable IMO. Energy guys that can kill penalties, but probably not going to do much up front. Hell theyre basically interchangeable parts. Leier, Laughton, Bardreau all fit essentially the same MO. I'd be weighing Laughton vs. Weise. Whichever one you think has a higher ceiling.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hextall seemed pretty sure they were going to sign and protect Stolarz, even said something close to that, when Neuvy was signed. So I expect that will be the plan there.

Up front, PEB, Read, Raffl, and Cousins are all replaceable IMO. Energy guys that can kill penalties, but probably not going to do much up front. Hell theyre basically interchangeable parts. Leier, Laughton, Bardreau all fit essentially the same MO. I'd be weighing Laughton vs. Weise. Whichever one you think has a higher ceiling.
I think Vecchione can fill that role also.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give G a shot at redemption here. I think it would be a major fail to trade him away this offseason, plus you'd have to be sending him to a competitive team that also wants to make a big change. This means we'd be taking a lot of salary back too.

Unless we're getting Stamkos, Barkov or O'Reilly back in return, (or a can't miss 1C prospect) I don't really see the point in it.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm fine with that. I would expect Hexy to protect Stolarz and Weise anyway, considering they both showed flashes of really strong play for the Flyers, despite often being either a healthy scratch, on the bench or in the minors.

As far as I'm concerned, keep Schenn, Couturier and Weise together into next season and go to work on the top two lines until we get all three lines scoring. The 4th line shouldn't have to score and may include guys like PEB, Cousins, Laughton or Read. Not sure about a rookie making the team just to play 4th line minutes.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give G a shot at redemption here. I think it would be a major fail to trade him away this offseason, plus you'd have to be sending him to a competitive team that also wants to make a big change. This means we'd be taking a lot of salary back too.

Unless we're getting Stamkos, Barkov or O'Reilly back in return, (or a can't miss 1C prospect) I don't really see the point in it.
Mav this is way down my list of things to do to make this team better.He deserves a shot at redemption he has earned that right. Although if any of those players were in the mix i would do that but i dont see it happening.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that. I would expect Hexy to protect Stolarz and Weise anyway, considering they both showed flashes of really strong play for the Flyers, despite often being either a healthy scratch, on the bench or in the minors.

As far as I'm concerned, keep Schenn, Couturier and Weise together into next season and go to work on the top two lines until we get all three lines scoring. The 4th line shouldn't have to score and may include guys like PEB, Cousins, Laughton or Read. Not sure about a rookie making the team just to play 4th line minutes.
I agree with this on the first three lines and if they all play like we know they can it will be a nice scoring trio but my theory on the 4th line is if we arent expecting them to score and they really dont do that anyway why not get a big fast bruising line to lay down some punishment and get the crowd roaring.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this on the first three lines and if they all play like we know they can it will be a nice scoring trio but my theory on the 4th line is if we arent expecting them to score and they really dont do that anyway why not get a big fast bruising line to lay down some punishment and get the crowd roaring.

I'm good with that until they all get suspended based on our reputation alone in Philly...Lol

We have too many forwards though if either Vegas takes a defender, we sign a couple more forwards or rookies make the squad.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that get's me is why are there a lot of teams that actually do have productive energy lines, it's not inconceivable I think it's just a matter of chemistry like all other lines. But I'm all for bruisers too.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that get's me is why are there a lot of teams that actually do have productive energy lines, it's not inconceivable I think it's just a matter of chemistry like all other lines. But I'm all for bruisers too.
My theory is if they dont score which our 4th line doesn't do why not make the other team tired of getting hit and create some energy in the building.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My theory is if they dont score which our 4th line doesn't do why not make the other team tired of getting hit and create some energy in the building.

Oh hell yea, I def agree, if you can get a big physical line out against a teams 1st line and pound them all game it's a great asset.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the other question before that happens is who do we protect at the forward position aside from Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier and Filppula? There is one more slot open. Does it go to PEB, Read, Raffl or Weise? Technically Cousins or Laughton are exposed too, but I doubt Vegas would pick either of them, being young, unsigned RFA's. I believe Vegas has to draft a minimum of 20 players signed for at least next season, so they won't be picking many free agents.

Then, which goalie are we protecting? That's also an interesting decision, considering Neuvy is the only one currently signed.

I thought Weal needed to be protected or exposed, too?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: Assistant Coach Change, Injuries, and More

Letting Mullen go. Seems like they're letting the wrong assistant go. Lappy was a solider of a player, but so far all he's proven as a coach is that he's good at putting out a garbage PK unit. Mullen consistently had one of the best PPs over the last 5-7 years.

Also sounded like Hexy is looking for a short term veteran goalie to be the starter.