• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Darcel McBath

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers sign Darcel McBath - ESPN

The San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Darcel McBath to a one-year contract.

McBath was a second-round draft pick by Denver in 2009. He played 20 games for the Broncos and started once. He had 28 tackles, two interceptions, and four passes defensed.

McBath was released by the Broncos last September and played one game in December for Jacksonville before being cut earlier in the offseason.

McBath is a former college teammate at Texas Tech of 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree. Also, his position coach his first two seasons with the Broncos was current 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell.

The 49ers also announced linebacker Darius Fleming has been placed on the active/physically unable to perform list. Guard Joe Looney and running back Jewel Hampton have been placed on the active/non-football injury list.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
tumblr_m5rndh33uK1qk9ai6.gif

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it's a huge signing, but I just didn't see that one coming.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even remember him from the '09 draft. If he was a 2nd round draft pick i am assuming someone thought he had potential. I don't see him making the roster over Cox or Brock, though unless someone gets injured.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Niners have listed him at CB, apparently, but he played FS in college and in Denver. Assuming that's where he'll get his shot for the Niners.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even remember him from the '09 draft. If he was a 2nd round draft pick i am assuming someone thought he had potential. I don't see him making the roster over Cox or Brock, though unless someone gets injured.

There has to be something (probably a lot of things) we don't know. I wonder if someone is nicked up?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners have listed him at CB, apparently, but he played FS in college and in Denver. Assuming that's where he'll get his shot for the Niners.

My first thought was that he was a contingency plan for Goldson

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for that update. That makes more sense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with so many passing nowadays, your safeties have to defend more and more pass. they have to have some of that CB coverage techniques. so its good to have a few of these "combo" guys if possible.

whether CB or Safety, this guy looks like decent depth already having NFL experience? in any case, they always have to add and try players with potential.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't know how much CB McBath has played.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darcel McBath Salts.

I just pictured his INT celebration as him knocking down a teammate and chewing on his face. Although with helmets and stuff, it'd just look like two guys trying to make out on a football field.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the McBath pickup, I think he could be a solid backup to Goldson IF they play him at FS.

My second my thought is that the team is looking for backups that play multiple positions since the team has a log jam of roster-worthy players at multiple positions.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pictured his INT celebration as him knocking down a teammate and chewing on his face. Although with helmets and stuff, it'd just look like two guys trying to make out on a football field.

Haha! It is a good thing the Dolphins didn't sign him.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the McBath pickup, I think he could be a solid backup to Goldson IF they play him at FS.

My second my thought is that the team is looking for backups that play multiple positions since the team has a log jam of roster-worthy players at multiple positions.

At first blush, it's a bit of a "meh" move. He was cut by two teams last season, but the price probably isn't high for a contingency plan. I assume Donatell's familiarity with him helped it happen. Hopefully, he can provide some production for us; until given a reason to do otherwise, in Harbaalke I trust.