• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Hall of Fame Finalist

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it just doesn't make sense to have an issue with a player who's career was cut short due to injury but not have an issue with a player that walked away from the game healthy.
I don't have issue with it, but it's not a Hall worthy decision. The guys that give up their bodies for the game, remember them with the Hall. Willis's kids can remember him playing with them in the yard. That's cool too, but it doesn't have anything to do with football.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have issue with it, but it's not a Hall worthy decision. The guys that give up their bodies for the game, remember them with the Hall. Willis's kids can remember him playing with them in the yard. That's cool too, but it doesn't have anything to do with football.

This is your comment correct?

Willis didn't care enough about football to keep playing. How is that deserving of the hall?

Boselli's career ended because of injury.

Willis had a longer career than Boselli and his career was cut short due to injury.

So you have an issue with Willis but you don't have an issue with Boselli yet both players careers were cut short due to injury.

That makes no sense.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally Woodson getting some Love! :dance:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is your comment correct?

Willis had a longer career than Boselli and his career was cut short due to injury.

So you have an issue with Willis but you don't have an issue with Boselli yet both players careers were cut short due to injury.

That makes no sense.
Willis walked away from the game. Boselli was hurt. I'm not big on Boselli's short career being hall worthy, but he was the most important player for a new franchise so there is a larger NFL impact from him. If you need a reason to separate the two.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer it if they put the best players in the HoF rather than the very good players that played for a long time. I would have put Boselli in years ago, along with Sterling Sharpe.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer it if they put the best players in the HoF rather than the very good players that played for a long time. I would have put Boselli in years ago, along with Sterling Sharpe.
It's not a season hall of fame, it's a career hall of fame. Some of these guys impact the league for 15-20 years. That's impressive. It's a hard sport on the body. Some guys can't make it very long and those guys don't get watched very long and have less of an impact. Their lives are less about playing football and more about something else.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willis walked away from the game. Boselli was hurt. I'm not big on Boselli's short career being hall worthy, but he was the most important player for a new franchise so there is a larger NFL impact from him. If you need a reason to separate the two.

So you're saying Willis walked away from the game 100% healthy?

@Niner Outlaw

Wasn't his career cut short due to injury? Pretty sure we already went over this but just wanna make sure an injury had something to do with PW retiring and not him just walking away from the game healthy.

Calvin Johnson, who only played one more year than Willis, but doesn't have as many pro bowl or all pro selections walked away from the game. Seems you're being hypocritical.

Do you not like Willis or the 49ers or something?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Willis walked away from the game 100% healthy?

@Niner Outlaw

Wasn't his career cut short due to injury? Pretty sure we already went over this but just wanna make sure an injury had something to do with PW retiring and not him just walking away from the game healthy.

Calvin Johnson, who only played one more year than Willis, but doesn't have as many pro bowl or all pro selections walked away from the game. Seems you're being hypocritical.

Do you not like Willis or the 49ers or something?
Willis didn't leave 100% healthy--he had nagging foot injuries his last couple of years that kept getting worse. However, the injuries didn't "force" him to retire. He retired early to protect his future health and avoid having his mounting injuries effect his level of play or his daily life too much.

Playing until you are crippled or physically unable to play anymore isn't a HOF consideration, nor should it be. Suppose 2 players with the same stats retire within a year of each other--Player A does it b/c repeated concussions forced him to and Player B did it b/c he didn't want to end up with too many concussions like Player A. They have the same stats, the same accolades and played the same number of years, so it makes no sense to say that one is more HOF-worthy than the other. The only difference is that one quit b/c he was too damaged to continue and the other quit b/c he wanted to avoid becoming too damaged.

Just off the top of my head, there are at least 3 HOF players that walked away early.
Sanders walked away early b/c he was tired of losing.
Megatron retired b/c he was tired of the grind of football.
Hell, Jim Brown retired early b/c of a financial dispute.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willis didn't leave 100% healthy--he had nagging foot injuries his last couple of years that kept getting worse. However, the injuries didn't "force" him to retire. He retired early to protect his future health and avoid having his mounting injuries effect his level of play or his daily life too much.

Playing until you are crippled or physically unable to play anymore isn't a HOF consideration, nor should it be. Suppose 2 players with the same stats retire within a year of each other--Player A does it b/c repeated concussions forced him to and Player B did it b/c he didn't want to end up with too many concussions like Player A. They have the same stats, the same accolades and played the same number of years, so it makes no sense to say that one is more HOF-worthy than the other. The only difference is that one quit b/c he was too damaged to continue and the other quit b/c he wanted to avoid becoming too damaged.

Just off the top of my head, there are at least 3 HOF players that walked away early.
Sanders walked away early b/c he was tired of losing.
Megatron retired b/c he was tired of the grind of football.
Hell, Jim Brown retired early b/c of a financial dispute.

Thanks for the breakdown.

@eaglesnut

I wasn't aware of all the details on PW's retirement. My bad for questioning things.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a season hall of fame, it's a career hall of fame. Some of these guys impact the league for 15-20 years. That's impressive. It's a hard sport on the body. Some guys can't make it very long and those guys don't get watched very long and have less of an impact. Their lives are less about playing football and more about something else.
It's not a season hall of fame and it's not a career hall of fame. It's a hall of FAME, as in famous. If being top 10 for 12 years makes you famous then fair enough. Personally i'd rather see someone who was top 3 for 5 years get in. If someone can create a lasting personal legacy with 1 season then good luck to them. As players become bigger, heavier, and more explosive the length of the careers will decrease. That's natural evolution. You can't apply the criteria for the 1970s and 80s to the current game.