• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Chris Cook

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope I already won. You are looking foolish. U are now staying we brought in a CB not to play CB. :laugh3:. This is funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh I needed that. No I didn't expect a 4 year player who started the last 2-3 years to now just go play special teams and forget about playing CB. Again you are funny. I hope this is a joke Imac because its looking bad on your part.

Here is a link. mentions playing CB no special teams.
San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog » 49ers to sign CB Cook to one-year deal

Here is another one. Talks about how Baalke likes him at CB. No Special teams talk
49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers to sign cornerback Chris Cook

Discussion Over. This is why I asked has anyone have any info on him playing Special teams (not his rookie year because most play special teams.) I have not seen him play special teams. That is why Im asking the question. If this was a special team move then great hope it helps but again all reports I have read has him fighting to play CB. I don't like this move of him playing CB. I don't like what I have seen from him on the field as a CB. Also throw in his off the field troubles.

He played a little bit on STs his first three seasons and then this year, his fourth season, he played in his most action on STs since being drafted. This season he earned positive grades (PFF) on punt coverage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nope I already won. You are looking foolish. U are now staying we brought in a CB not to play CB. :laugh3:. This is funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh I needed that. No I didn't expect a 4 year player who started the last 2-3 years to now just go play special teams and forget about playing CB. Again you are funny. I hope this is a joke Imac because its looking bad on your part.

San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog » 49ers to sign CB Cook to one-year deal

Here is another one. Talks about how Baalke likes him at CB. No Special teams talk

Discussion Over. This is why I asked has anyone have any info on him playing Special teams (not his rookie year because most play special teams.) I have not seen him play special teams. That is why Im asking the question. If this was a special team move then great hope it helps but again all reports I have read has him fighting to play CB. I don't like this move of him playing CB. I don't like what I have seen from him on the field as a CB. Also throw in his off the field troubles.

This is silly. All STs players except the kickers and basically the longsnapper (though Jennings at least was technically a backup TE) also play some position. Hell, Kassim Osgood had a couple receptions last year. That doesn't mean that guys aren't or can't be brought in primarily as STs players.

I don't see how this is a bad signing regardless of the expectations for Cook's contribution, though. Why is this a bad signing at the CB position?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cook from what I understand is making league minimum so I hardly consider this a bad signing.

He's got the measurements so maybe Donatell gets a hold of him and makes him into something and if not you're not really out much.

To me these are the kind of moves you need to make when you're a team trying to maintain success because of the cap you need to roll the dice on guys that haven't lived up to their potential and hope you can make something out of them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is silly. All STs players except the kickers and basically the longsnapper (though Jennings at least was technically a backup TE) also play some position. Hell, Kassim Osgood had a couple receptions last year. That doesn't mean that guys aren't or can't be brought in primarily as STs players.

I don't see how this is a bad signing regardless of the expectations for Cook's contribution, though. Why is this a bad signing at the CB position?

ok and now we are back to my question. Has he played special teams? that is my question. I don't get whats so hard about this. I have seen him play CB and he looked bad doing that. If he can help on special teams then great.

In my opinion I don't like him as a CB. I guess some of you guys do like him. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will be a good CB. As a Niner fan I hope I am wrong and a new system will help him and becomes a solid player for us.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok and now we are back to my question. Has he played special teams? that is my question. I don't get whats so hard about this. I have seen him play CB and he looked bad doing that. If he can help on special teams then great.

In my opinion I don't like him as a CB. I guess some of you guys do like him. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will be a good CB. As a Niner fan I hope I am wrong and a new system will help him and becomes a solid player for us.

Chris already answered your question re: STs. As far as CB, what difference does it make? He is just a body. There is no downside to this signing. Either he's bad and we cut him with no penalty, or he can contribute and we pay him peanuts to do so.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook from what I understand is making league minimum so I hardly consider this a bad signing.

He's got the measurements so maybe Donatell gets a hold of him and makes him into something and if not you're not really out much.

To me these are the kind of moves you need to make when you're a team trying to maintain success because of the cap you need to roll the dice on guys that haven't lived up to their potential and hope you can make something out of them.

I have no problem rolling the dice. U are right its league min so its not a big deal. Overall I say bad signing because I don't think he helps this team at CB(that's what he was signed for). IF you cant help I consider you a waste or a bad signing. If he can help on special teams great. That adds to his resume.

Right now his resume is that he was a starter for 2-3 years with no Ints and he gave up the most TDs. On his resume I don't see stud special teamer. So im judging this move on him playing CB. If someone has more info on him playing special team please share. I would be interested in reading it and learning about it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: He will sink or swim with the 9ers but the risk is low. It is all on Cook on how he can perform to make the roster.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played a little bit on STs his first three seasons and then this year, his fourth season, he played in his most action on STs since being drafted. This season he earned positive grades (PFF) on punt coverage.

Thank you Pozz. See that is info. No link but Im ok with that. I trust your findings. Still any info on the 49ers saying they picked him up for special teams or planning on using him on special teams. Both links I gave mention him fighting for playing time at CB. Baalke likes his size. Both links don't mention anything about Special teams.

Thank you again Pozz.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

League minimum of 730K but would only count as 570K against the cap if he makes the team.

---------------------

This'll be the first time I say anything in regards to what I feel about the signing. I don't want anybody to think that I'm beating my point into the ground. I haven't given my two cents yet (not that anybody cares).

Cook is wildly maddening as a player and has been since college and obviously his decision making in life has been just flat out stupid. I don't expect that he'll finally "get it" with the 49ers and put it all together but I can live with the signing only because he physically fits the type of player I wanted and still want to see added to this team.

On the flip side of that, I hope nobody in the organization feels like they should shy away from adding more players like him from a physical aspect. I want an infusion of size with functional movement skills on defense, especially on the back end, and one of my main targets for this offseason, especially now since I am of the belief that they've bungled the last two offseasons on both sides of the ball, is Keith McGill. He's a risk himself but far, far less than Chris Cook. One of the scenarios I've been hoping for is for them to get into position somehow to obtain him AND Bradley Roby.

I just wish Cook didn't have a 2-cent head attached to him because ultimately I think that's what'll contribute to his eventual release or departing from the team. Among other things.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have no problem rolling the dice. U are right its league min so its not a big deal. Overall I say bad signing because I don't think he helps this team at CB(that's what he was signed for). IF you cant help I consider you a waste or a bad signing. If he can help on special teams great. That adds to his resume.

Right now his resume is that he was a starter for 2-3 years with no Ints and he gave up the most TDs. On his resume I don't see stud special teamer. So im judging this move on him playing CB. If someone has more info on him playing special team please share. I would be interested in reading it and learning about it.

This may be an issue of semantics again, but how is it a "bad" signing if there is no negative side? We have six CBs under contract right now, and that includes Dax Swanson (I loved him in the Star Wars movies). Outside of Cook, the other five players combined for seven starts last year. So we added a physically gifted player with starting experience to compete at our thinnest position with no penalty if we cut him. Objectively, there is simply nothing "bad" about it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[O]ne of my main targets for this offseason... is Keith McGill.

Yes! I want him on the team for non-football reasons (former Utah Utes player) and now, a football reason (someone who knows what he's talking about endorses it). Bingo, Calamity, or Ray Dogg liked McGill, too. (They know their stuff, too.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be an issue of semantics again, but how is it a "bad" signing if there is no negative side? We have six CBs under contract right now, and that includes Dax Swanson (I loved him in the Star Wars movies). Outside of Cook, the other five players combined for seven starts last year. So we added a physically gifted player with starting experience to compete at our thinnest position with no penalty if we cut him. Objectively, there is simply nothing "bad" about it.

Crimson, just let him hold onto this one as a sign he doesn't like every move the FO makes. What more says you aren't a homer than to stubbornly criticize a logical move with no downside? I mean, criticizing an actual bad move wouldn't prove anything homer-wise, but this? Yes. He's negotiating, why don't we take a plea bargain by dropping the homer allegations for a confession that this was not a bad move? ;)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather have signed Mike Jenkins then Cook. That move would of made more sense. A X probowler. The money wasn't that big of a difference. Not saying Im a Jenkins fan but that move would made more sense in my opinion.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see your point. U still have to grade the move and for me its a F maybe a D if I find info about him being a special teams player. I just mention in my last post I rather have went after Mike Jenkins.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crimson, just let him hold onto this one as a sign he doesn't like every move the FO makes. What more says you aren't a homer than to stubbornly criticize a logical move with no downside? I mean, criticizing an actual bad move wouldn't prove anything homer-wise, but this? Yes. He's negotiating, why don't we take a plea bargain by dropping the homer allegations for a confession that this was not a bad move? ;)

Don't be mad because you had no clue what was going on. I don't care if you think im a Homer or not a homer. That is your issue, not mine.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be mad because you had no clue what was going on. I don't care if you think im a Homer or not a homer. That is your issue, not mine.

It was a joke. It's not my issue. I don't care if someone is a homer or not. Just a joke off someone else's accusations of you re: homerism (not my accusation).

As far as knowing what is going on: you criticized the pick from the start. You then asked about the board about him playing special teams. A genuine question because you didn't know. Someone wondered why you criticized Cook if you didn't know that he played special teams (as in, you don't know the player but disliked the signing still). You acted like that guy thought that asking about special teams was the criticism itself, not a genuine question. I then joked that you didn't really dislike the signing but had to insist on it as proof of non-homerism.

One has to be able to say it wasn't a bad signing when it costs us nothing if he flops - no guaranteed, no roster spot, no cap hit, and doesn't stop us from signing someone else. Add on that if he works out he's paid the minimum and counts less against the cap than the minimum? There's NO downside. At least the Gabbert carried a sixth rounder even if cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see your point. U still have to grade the move and for me its a F maybe a D if I find info about him being a special teams player. I just mention in my last post I rather have went after Mike Jenkins.

I just don't understand how the move could possibly be an F. Worst case scenario, we cut him and it's as if he was never here. Free agency is not just about names. It's about contracts, too. And Cooks' basically doesn't even count.

If both make their respective rosters, Jenkins' contract would count almost $1 million more against the cap. That's before any of the $500K in roster bonuses kick in. I can't find out how much of that is guaranteed, but it's not a comparable contract.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Last year we brought in WR Kassim Osgood. A few years ago we brought in safety CJ Spillman and LB Blake Costanzo.

I guess those were all bad signings as well.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we brought in WR Kassim Osgood. A few years ago we brought in safety CJ Spillman and LB Blake Costanzo.

I guess those were all bad signings as well.

Nope because Costanzo was known for a being a special teams player. When we signed him we knew he was going to play special teams. I also think with Osgood we knew he was going to be a special teams player. These players were known for special teams. These weren't starters.

So you are wrong again. I love how you are comparing a CB that started the last 3 years to guys that never started. GREAT Comparison. :laugh3: