• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Chris Cook

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should mention that I think this is a good sign if he can keep his shit together.

just asking, what makes you think its a good signing. He let up the most TDs last year and hasn't recorded an INT yet in his career. Yes everything points to him being athletic but that doesn't make you a good player. I don't see anything on the field that makes this a good signing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
just asking, what makes you think its a good signing. He let up the most TDs last year and hasn't recorded an INT yet in his career. Yes everything points to him being athletic but that doesn't make you a good player. I don't see anything on the field that makes this a good signing.

League minimum; big guy with experience at both CB & safety. He's not even likely to play a single snap at CB this season (even if he does make the team). But he seems like he could be a good special teamer.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League minimum; big guy with experience at both CB & safety. He's not even likely to play a single snap at CB this season (even if he does make the team). But he seems like he could be a good special teamer.

I do agree he might not make the team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I do agree he might not make the team.

You've gotta look at the guy exclusively as a special teamer. I don't know if you have any data pertaining to or experience watching him play on special teams, but you certainly can't judge a guy's ability to play special teams based on his ability to play on offense or defense (see Kassim Osgood, Dante Hall, CJ Spillman, Raymond Ventrone, Colin Jones and so forth).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L :doh:

This thread is so freaking ridiculous. People seem to believe that every player needs to be a starter, a team can't take a waiver on a guy who has tons of talent and will at the very least be a low-priced depth player or special teamer. People didn't even consider the fact that maybe his biggest struggles could be due to him not fitting the Vikings scheme or that he might be a good fit for our defensive scheme and maybe our coaching staff can get the best out of him. Quit playing Madden people, players don't fit in every scheme, you can't just take a guy who excels in man coverage and put him in a zone scheme (or vice versa).

This thread shows the problems with FA. Fans on these boards just go crazy, hoping that their team will go on some crazy spending spree and risk the team's future. The 49ers have built an amazing franchise mostly through draft picks, they have supplemented a few spots through FA but we haven't really gone out on a big spending spree in FA, it just isn't how we roll. Some people are so desperate to get a new face and/or "named" player on the team that they will fool themselves into thinking that guys like Thurmond could take us places.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta look at the guy exclusively as a special teamer. I don't know if you have any data pertaining to or experience watching him play on special teams, but you certainly can't judge a guy's ability to play special teams based on his ability to play on offense or defense (see Kassim Osgood, Dante Hall, CJ Spillman, Raymond Ventrone, Colin Jones and so forth).

has he played special teams?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L :doh:

This thread is so freaking ridiculous. People seem to believe that every player needs to be a starter, a team can't take a waiver on a guy who has tons of talent and will at the very least be a low-priced depth player or special teamer. People didn't even consider the fact that maybe his biggest struggles could be due to him not fitting the Vikings scheme or that he might be a good fit for our defensive scheme and maybe our coaching staff can get the best out of him. Quit playing Madden people, players don't fit in every scheme, you can't just take a guy who excels in man coverage and put him in a zone scheme (or vice versa).

This thread shows the problems with FA. Fans on these boards just go crazy, hoping that their team will go on some crazy spending spree and risk the team's future. The 49ers have built an amazing franchise mostly through draft picks, they have supplemented a few spots through FA but we haven't really gone out on a big spending spree in FA, it just isn't how we roll. Some people are so desperate to get a new face and/or "named" player on the team that they will fool themselves into thinking that guys like Thurmond could take us places.

Well he could have he is at worst a solid nickle CB and we have had issues covering slot WRs the past 2 years so he would have bolstered that. At best he is a solid #2 CB and with very little experience we have at CB he would have been a good pickup for us.

Now I agree with your overarching point that the casual fan wants to spend big on FAs and such but for the deal he got in NY I don't see why we couldn't have signed him for less. I am fine with drafting a CB for the future but we don't know how well a rookie will play hell we don't really know how well Cully is going to play coming of an ACL injury. So Thurmond at least for me was a somewhat proven commodity and would have stabilized our secondary IMO

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
has he played special teams?

I have no idea. But I would imagine that's where he's most likely to get playing time if he makes the team, so I'm not worried about his inability to shut down WRs.

If he wants a long career in the NFL I think he needs to get really good at kickoff / punt coverage or switch to safety ASAP.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have never watched the guy play and the signing still disturbs you this much?

Whysies: Doesn't disturb me that much. U aren't that bright I guess. Im asking a question. I never saw him play special teams. I saw him play CB and also saw some video on him. So again has anyone seen him play on special teams and not just from his rookie year?

U need to chill and read the post before you jump on people. I was just asking a question.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. But I would imagine that's where he's most likely to get playing time if he makes the team, so I'm not worried about his inability to shut down WRs.

If he wants a long career in the NFL I think he needs to get really good at kickoff / punt coverage or switch to safety ASAP.

Like I said this is like the Dahl signing. The kid is either going to make it as a special teamer, get cut or play if injuries hit. Let hope he either gets cut or becomes a good special teamer.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whysies: Doesn't disturb me that much. U aren't that bright I guess. Im asking a question. I never saw him play special teams. I saw him play CB and also saw some video on him. So again has anyone seen him play on special teams and not just from his rookie year?

U need to chill and read the post before you jump on people. I was just asking a question.

Don't try to attack someone else's intelligence by saying "U aren't that bright." It makes U look stoopid.

You weren't just asking a question. And you are complaining about a guy with a ton of potential who was signed to a minimum contract to compete for the 5th CB spot. U need to have a brewdog and chillax, it will be ok.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't try to attack someone else's intelligence by saying "U aren't that bright." It makes U look stoopid.

You weren't just asking a question. And you are complaining about a guy with a ton of potential who was signed to a minimum contract to compete for the 5th CB spot. U need to have a brewdog and chillax, it will be ok.

I was asking a question. This makes you look stupid because you still cant see that I was asking question. I don't like him at CB. There is enough info to tell me he isn't good. I don't like the signing. Its my opinion. I also understand that its not a big deal because he can be cut before the season if it doesn't work out. He isn't a main piece to our puzzle.

If he has played Special teams and was ok at it maybe he can find his niche there.

Im sorry but im not going to love every move we make. Im not a Homer. I try and look at things objectively.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry for saying your are not bright. But come on man. This is what I said.

"has he played special teams? "

That is a question. I don't know how you cant see that. I don't see any bashing there. I see a question.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not a Homer. I try and look at things objectively.

There are times when I question whether or not purgy is a comedic genius and smarter than all of combined. This is one of those times.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again doesn't make sense but Ok whatever makes you feel better.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry for saying your are not bright. But come on man. This is what I said.

"has he played special teams? "

That is a question. I don't know how you cant see that. I don't see any bashing there. I see a question.

You've spent a lot of time making disparaging remarks about a guy who signed a contract for the league minimum to later admit you have no idea if he can play ST. If he can contribute to two of the ST units (say both coverage units), how is it a bad signing when it's for league minimum money?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've spent a lot of time making disparaging remarks about a guy who signed a contract for the league minimum to later admit you have no idea if he can play ST. If he can contribute to two of the ST units (say both coverage units), how is it a bad signing when it's for league minimum money?

As a CB is was a bad signing. Never said anything about special teams. Im asking can he play special teams? We have another one that doesn't understand what a question is. No I never saw him play special teams. That is why Im asking. If he is a good special teamer then its ok. We need to retool our special teams.

When we sign him there were no reports about this being a special teams move. IF there were then I didn't see it. So please post link. thank you

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As a CB is was a bad signing. Never said anything about special teams. Im asking can he play special teams? We have another one that doesn't understand what a question is. No I never saw him play special teams. That is why Im asking. If he is a good special teamer then its ok. We need to retool our special teams.

When we sign him there were no reports about this being a special teams move. IF there were then I didn't see it. So please post link. thank you

You're trying really hard to save face right now. You said it was a bad signing. He was signed to play football for us, that doesn't necessarily mean CB. He was signed with the hopes that he can contribute to the team. Devin Hester is a shitty WR. That doesn't make it a bad signing if/when he signs. Especially if he signs for the league minimum.

From what I've seen over the last week, you were being called out for loving all the moves we make, and were getting put off by it. We signed Cook, a CB who has struggled mightily, and you saw an opportunity to shed the homer tag by criticizing a Baalke move. So you criticized, and now are trying to backtrack because it's a signing for the league minimum, with no guarantees, to a player who may be able to contribute on ST.

If you think it's a bad signing as a CB, as you suggest above, then I'm going to ask you to provide a link to either Baalke or Harbaugh saying he was brought in exclusively to play CB. Otherwise you've made the assumption that a guy who signed a league minimum, one year contract was signed with the expectation that he would not play ST.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're trying really hard to save face right now. You said it was a bad signing. He was signed to play football for us, that doesn't necessarily mean CB. He was signed with the hopes that he can contribute to the team. Devin Hester is a shitty WR. That doesn't make it a bad signing if/when he signs. Especially if he signs for the league minimum.

From what I've seen over the last week, you were being called out for loving all the moves we make, and were getting put off by it. We signed Cook, a CB who has struggled mightily, and you saw an opportunity to shed the homer tag by criticizing a Baalke move. So you criticized, and now are trying to backtrack because it's a signing for the league minimum, with no guarantees, to a player who may be able to contribute on ST.

If you think it's a bad signing as a CB, as you suggest above, then I'm going to ask you to provide a link to either Baalke or Harbaugh saying he was brought in exclusively to play CB. Otherwise you've made the assumption that a guy who signed a league minimum, one year contract was signed with the expectation that he would not play ST.

Nope I already won. You are looking foolish. U are now staying we brought in a CB not to play CB. :laugh3:. This is funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh I needed that. No I didn't expect a 4 year player who started the last 2-3 years to now just go play special teams and forget about playing CB. Again you are funny. I hope this is a joke Imac because its looking bad on your part.

Here is a link. mentions playing CB no special teams.
San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog » 49ers to sign CB Cook to one-year deal

Here is another one. Talks about how Baalke likes him at CB. No Special teams talk
49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers to sign cornerback Chris Cook

Discussion Over. This is why I asked has anyone have any info on him playing Special teams (not his rookie year because most play special teams.) I have not seen him play special teams. That is why Im asking the question. If this was a special team move then great hope it helps but again all reports I have read has him fighting to play CB. I don't like this move of him playing CB. I don't like what I have seen from him on the field as a CB. Also throw in his off the field troubles.