• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Chris Cook

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nope because Costanzo was known for a being a special teams player. When we signed him we knew he was going to play special teams. I also think with Osgood we knew he was going to be a special teams player. These players were known for special teams. These weren't starters.

So you are wrong again. I love how you are comparing a CB that started the last 3 years to guys that never started. GREAT Comparison. :laugh3:

Please find me an article that says Chris Cook was signed to start at CB for the Niners.

Because we all know starting CBs sign 1 year, league minimum contracts.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please find me an article that says Chris Cook was signed to start at CB for the Niners.

Because we all know starting CBs sign 1 year, league minimum contracts.

I already posted 2 links. Pay attention. Also I never said he was going to be a starter. I said he was signed from what Marrico and Baalke said to compete at the CB position. Baalke likes his size to be a press CB for us.

This is funny stuff. "Because we all know starting CBs sign 1 year, league minimum contract" :laugh3:

Some do. Here are some examples from this year. Signed CB Antonio Cromartie for 1 year, Re-signed CB Charles Tillman for 1 year, $3.5 million, Signed CB Darrelle Revis for 1 year, $12 million , Signed CB Walter Thurmond for 1 year, $3.5 million, Signed CB Mike Jenkins for 1 year, T Brown signed 1 year deal with Oakland.

So yes starting CB's do sign 1 year deals, maybe not for league minimum but they do sign 1 year deals. These are all starters except Thurmond who will start for the giants to cover the slot WR.

Please stop you are embarrassing yourself. Please tell me you were drunk when you posted this.

Again no one mention him as a starter.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I already posted 2 links. Pay attention. Also I never said he was going to be a starter. I said he was signed from what Marrico and Baalke said to compete at the CB position. Baalke likes his size to be a press CB for us.

This is funny stuff. "Because we all know starting CBs sign 1 year, league minimum contract" :laugh3:

Some do. Here are some examples from this year. Signed CB Antonio Cromartie for 1 year, Re-signed CB Charles Tillman for 1 year, $3.5 million, Signed CB Darrelle Revis for 1 year, $12 million , Signed CB Walter Thurmond for 1 year, $3.5 million, Signed CB Mike Jenkins for 1 year, T Brown signed 1 year deal with Oakland.

So yes starting CB's do sign 1 year deals, maybe not for league minimum but they do sign 1 year deals. These are all starters except Thurmond who will start for the giants to cover the slot WR.

Please stop you are embarrassing yourself. Please tell me you were drunk when you posted this.

And that was the entire point of his statement. Though obviously the $12 million that Revis signed for is directly comparable to Cook's ~$500K cap hit.

I've got to think you're being deliberately daft at this point. Accusing someone else of embarrassing themselves in this thread is just too rich.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So do they, or do they not sign one year, league minimum deals? There's a lot of contradiction in your post.

And, Mr. In-the-know, how common is it for CBs that are not starting to also not play Special Teams? Is Chris Cook the rare player who was brought in to be a 4th CB and not play ST?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our secondary is cookin up some bad shit this year. we needed to sign a real starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again who said anything about him starting. There is where u went wrong. Yes CBs sign 1 year offers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do they, or do they not sign one year, league minimum deals? There's a lot of contradiction in your post.

And, Mr. In-the-know, how common is it for CBs that are not starting to also not play Special Teams? Is Chris Cook the rare player who was brought in to be a 4th CB and not play ST?

Again I never said he wasn't going to play special teams. All I said was no one mention special teams in their reports and Baalke never mention it. That is why I was asking if he did play special teams.

try and stay with the conversation. When people start making up stuff they know they lost the conversation or they know that they were wrong. Just admit it and move on. Its no big deal.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again who said anything about him starting. There is where u went wrong. Yes CBs sign 1 year offers.

He didn't say they don't sign one-year contracts. He said starting CBs don't sign one-year minimum contracts. It's really not that hard to understand.

Again, there's really nothing to dislike about this signing. Unless you just want to be stubborn and try to make a dumb point.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say they don't sign one-year contracts. He said starting CBs don't sign one-year minimum contracts. It's really not that hard to understand.

Again, there's really nothing to dislike about this signing. Unless you just want to be stubborn and try to make a dumb point.

And its not that hard to understand I never said starter. U just made my point thank you. Yes I know what he said but Im saying CB's do sign 1 year contracts for all different amounts.

This whole conversation started on him making up a lie.

I NEVER SAID HE WAS GOING TO BE A STARTER. He is the one that mention starter. Please understand whats going before you give your 2 cents. I also asked a Question: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE PLAYS SPECIAL TEAMS? Its a simple question. There was no bashing. I thank the one poster who answered the question. It was a simple question. Also I pointed out that a guy that was a starter for 2-3 years is not just going to sign to play special teams. His mind set is to be a CB.

Now back to him being a CB, I'm not a fan of the signing from the CB position. That is my opinion just like u have yours. If he gives us great special teams then that is a added bonus. I would then change my grade from a F to a D. I also understand that we aren't invested in him so if it doesn't work out we can cut him.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again I never said he wasn't going to play special teams. All I said was no one mention special teams in their reports and Baalke never mention it. That is why I was asking if he did play special teams.

try and stay with the conversation. When people start making up stuff they know they lost the conversation or they know that they were wrong. Just admit it and move on. Its no big deal.

What does it mean when they start picking apart sentences? Multiple times now in this thread you have ignored the "league minimum" part of CBs signing one year deals.

Is it a literacy problem you have, or just a super short attention span? Let's try re-structuring the sentence:

How often do starting CBs sign contracts for the league minimum that are for one year?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And its not that hard to understand I never said starter. U just made my point thank you. Yes I know what he said but Im saying CB's do sign 1 year contracts for all different amounts.

This whole conversation started on him making up a lie.

I NEVER SAID HE WAS GOING TO BE A STARTER. He is the one that mention starter. Please understand whats going before you give your 2 cents. I also asked a Question: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE PLAYS SPECIAL TEAMS? Its a simple question. There was no bashing. I thank the one poster who answered the question. It was a simple question. Also I pointed out that a guy that was a starter for 2-3 years is not just going to sign to play special teams. His mind set is to be a CB.

Now back to him being a CB, I'm not a fan of the signing from the CB position. That is my opinion just like u have yours. If he gives us great special teams then that is a added bonus. I would then change my grade from a F to a D. I also understand that we aren't invested in him so if it doesn't work out we can cut him.

So your issue is that you thought we signed a backup CB that wasn't going to play ST for a league min, one year contract?

You keep talking about him as a CB. What role do you see him playing?

And you're going to give a "D" grade to us for signing a special teams player to a one year, league minimum contract?

Everything you have said in this thread just reeks of you trying to show you don't love every signing as you were accused of in the Bethea thread.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your issue is that you thought we signed a backup CB that wasn't going to play ST for a league min, one year contract?

And you're going to give a "D" grade to us for signing a special teams player to a one year, league minimum contract?

Everything you have said in this thread just reeks of you trying to show you don't love every signing as you were accused of in the Bethea thread.

Again never said he isn't going to play special teams. Baalke said they signed him to be a press CB. So Im guessing Baalke expects to see him on the field. I am just judging this move on him as a player and what he has done so far in the NFL. Its not a good resume he has in the NFL. Then throw in the troubles off the field.

My Grade is on Him as a Player. Not the contract. What he has done in the NFL.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

ESPN gave it a C. So please stop acting like giving him a D is so far fetch or even an F in my opinion. Maybe F is wrong because he is athletic and maybe he can make something out of his career with a new D scheme. So maybe I should of went fully with the D. Still its not that far off from what ESPN went with. Again its an opinion.

I been saying this from the start. We agree to disagree. What grade would you give?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope why would that matter. I didn't like moves from last year. This year I do like all the moves so far except for the Cook signing. I didn't like the Dahl pick up last year. Didn't like picking up Synder. I loved the Boldin pick up and liked the Dorsey pick up.

Here are my Grades for this year:
Bethea= B
Gabbet= C- (has upside but don't really know how he will do with a better team.) Will he be the same?
Cook= F (but now looking at it I would give it a D)
Martin= C+ (I think he has some upside)
Boldin= B+

Happy to see Rogers gone and I like Whitner but wasn't worth that money.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again never said he isn't going to play special teams. Baalke said they signed him to be a press CB. So Im guessing Baalke expects to see him on the field. I am just judging this move on him as a player and what he has done so far in the NFL. Its not a good resume he has in the NFL. Then throw in the troubles off the field.

My Grade is on Him as a Player. Not the contract. What he has done in the NFL.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

ESPN gave it a C. So please stop acting like giving him a D is so far fetch or even an F in my opinion. Maybe F is wrong because he is athletic and maybe he can make something out of his career with a new D scheme. So maybe I should of went fully with the D. Still its not that far off from what ESPN went with. Again its an opinion.

I been saying this from the start. We agree to disagree. What grade would you give?

If you expect him to play ST, why treat him strictly as a CB? And I thought we were talking about the signing, not the player, in grading him. No wonder you praised the Bethea signing so much. I suppose you give Aldon Smith a low grade as well, since the contract is irrelevant and you factor in off-field issues.

ESPN gave it a C. You've given it an F with the contingency it could be a D if he plays ST. Don't act like you're grade and ESPN's are super close together.

As for what I give it, I give it an I for irrelevant. He's a veteran player who signed a league minimum contract with no guaranteed money. He has as good of a chance as being unemployed week 1 as he does of getting snaps with the defense. If he is on the roster, there's a good chance he isn't in uniform on game days. He comes in as, at best, the 3rd CB to a team that hasn't drafted yet and everyone expects to draft a CB early. His best case scenario is going into next season competing with Darryl Morris for the 4th CB spot. How many snaps did we have 4 CBs on the field for last year?

Furthermore, the only chance he makes the roster is if he's a better ST player than Morris, who was a pretty good ST player for us last year.

The other *remotely* possible scenario is that he earns a starting spot and doesn't actually end up on any ST units. That's the situation you're giving an F to. That's a failing grade for a starting CB on a league minimum contract.

You're going to have to explain how signing a player to a league minimum with no guarantees is a failure. Had he signed in June or July you wouldn't have batted an eye at it and accepted him as camp fodder.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nope why would that matter. I didn't like moves from last year. This year I do like all the moves so far except for the Cook signing. I didn't like the Dahl pick up last year. Didn't like picking up Synder. I loved the Boldin pick up and liked the Dorsey pick up.

Here are my Grades for this year:
Bethea= B
Gabbet= C- (has upside but don't really know how he will do with a better team.) Will he be the same?
Cook= F (but now looking at it I would give it a D)
Martin= C+ (I think he has some upside)
Boldin= B+

Happy to see Rogers gone and I like Whitner but wasn't worth that money.

This basically tells me that you don't care about the compensation in the deal, but instead only care about what the player has done thus far in the NFL.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO!!!!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are three possible outcomes from the Chris Cook signing:

1. He doesn't make the team, we don't make him a penny, he counts nothing against the salary cap.

2. He makes the team as a depth CB and ST contributor (if he can't play ST and isn't a starting CB, see above). We pay him the league minimum.

3. He earns a starting position by being one of the best 2 CBs in camp. We have a starting CB making the league minimum.

Which of these is a bad situation?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i took a peak at our depth chart

corner scares me...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You're right, you didn't say he was signed to be a starter. And he never said CBs don't sign one-year contracts. So I guess you and Imac are even in the misrepresentation column.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most outrageous thing is giving an F to a move when you haven't even seen the guy play. I think there's close to a zero percent chance that purgy saw more than one Vikings game this year (tops), and a zero percent chance he keyed in on the CB play. There's just no way.

Then again it shouldn't be that outrageous to me, people get butthurt every draft when the team gets a guy they have never seen play (see: Smith, Aldon)