• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Chris Cook

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again never said he isn't going to play special teams. Baalke said they signed him to be a press CB. So Im guessing Baalke expects to see him on the field. I am just judging this move on him as a player and what he has done so far in the NFL. Its not a good resume he has in the NFL. Then throw in the troubles off the field.

My Grade is on Him as a Player. Not the contract. What he has done in the NFL.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

ESPN gave it a C. So please stop acting like giving him a D is so far fetch or even an F in my opinion. Maybe F is wrong because he is athletic and maybe he can make something out of his career with a new D scheme. So maybe I should of went fully with the D. Still its not that far off from what ESPN went with. Again its an opinion.

I been saying this from the start. We agree to disagree. What grade would you give?

That's not what you said.

Post #6: hate this move

Post #19: enough of this avg to below avg pick ups at the CB position.

Post #41: I guess we just have to wait and see if they sign thurmond. If so then I'm fine with this.

Post #61: just asking, what makes you think its a good signing.

Post #78: As a CB is was a bad signing.

Everything you've said above refers to the move, not the player. You cannot divorce the move from the contract. If you give the player an F, that's fine. I don't necessarily disagree. It's frankly dumb to give the move an F. ESPN gets it right with the C. It's neither a particularly good move nor a particularly bad move. It's average, because of the contract. He's basically competing for a roster spot.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is possible, iMac, that this is a bad signing. Option 4 is 49ers chose to sign Chris Cook and therefore didn't strongly pursue another corner like Cromartie or Thurmond or Brown.

That said, I agree with your assessment, 85%.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is possible, iMac, that this is a bad signing. Option 4 is 49ers chose to sign Chris Cook and therefore didn't strongly pursue another corner like Cromartie or Thurmond or Brown.

The contract they signed him to shouldn't have prevented them from pursuing another CB, though. They still went after Thurmond after this signing.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Given the difference in contracts signed between Cook vs the others, I don't think it was an either/or situation.

The timing could have been an issue, in that we were entertaining Cook when we could have been focused on Brown, or more focused on Thurman (with no reports of Cromartie interest, I don't think Cook affected pursuit there).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe people are mad about this. This is an absolutely low risk/high reward situation. The guy is making next to nothing and isn't' even guaranteed a spot, the great part is that he's a huge CB with excellent talent. People have absolutely no clue as to whether or not his struggles were scheme related or not, they just assume that this is Madden and a player will be just as good no matter what scheme he is in. If he flops then no harm done but if our coaching staff and get the most out of this guy like they did Rogers (before he slowed down) and Brown then we really have something here.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL u grade him an I. That is worse then an F. Argument over. THis was too easy. Thanks for playing. Why would i give A. Smith an F or D. He is a top talent who starts. Again not making sense. Yes his off the field issues would matter because 1 more incident and he is suspended. So yes it would matter.

I'm done giving facts about cook. This was an easy win. Time to move. Tired of wasting my time on this. U keep false info or making stuff up. Thats what you do. u never once gave a link or a fact in this whole argument.

The one thing that we both might look silly on is if some how he becomes a starter. I would be wrong about his grade and u would be wrong about calling the move irrelevant. Lets hope we are both wrong and he helps this team out.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most outrageous thing is giving an F to a move when you haven't even seen the guy play. I think there's close to a zero percent chance that purgy saw more than one Vikings game this year (tops), and a zero percent chance he keyed in on the CB play. There's just no way.

Then again it shouldn't be that outrageous to me, people get butthurt every draft when the team gets a guy they have never seen play (see: Smith, Aldon)

I have seen him play. I also watched a lot of video on him when we signed him. so please keep your statements to yourself when you have no clue what u are talking about. maybe u are talking about yourself.

I liked the A. Smith pick when we drafted him. Did I know he would be a stud no but I thought he would be a good talent to have.

I also loved the Reid pick . I had him as the #2 safety. Some had him at #4 or #5.

One pick I will admit that I was wrong about was Mays.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone name the last player the 49ers went after in the free agency. Its just not our style. We hang back and take cut players and low risk high reward. If you want big free agents you better become an eagles fan. We draft well and keep our own players that is it.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone name the last player the 49ers went after in the free agency. Its just not our style. We hang back and take cut players and low risk high reward. If you want big free agents you better become an eagles fan. We draft well and keep our own players that is it.

The last big name I remember them going after was one Justin Smith. Worked out pretty well I think.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract they signed him to shouldn't have prevented them from pursuing another CB, though. They still went after Thurmond after this signing.

Every move a team makes has a reason. U have no clue what the front office is thinking. We have no idea that this ended the 49ers chances of singing another CB. If they did sign another CB chances are we don't draft one in the 1st 2 rds so yes I think by adding Cooks 49ers decided that they were done with the FA market at CB because they want to draft a CB with one of their early picks. We have Wright, Cooks, Cully, Brock at the CB position. This leaves open 1 high pick or FA pick up at that position. Again this is opinion because I don't work in the front office. IF they did sign another FA CB I just don't see them using a pick on a CB in the 1st 2 rds. We lost Rogers and Brown and we picked up Cooks and common sense would say they have 1 more in mind. That looks like a high draft pick now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe people are mad about this. This is an absolutely low risk/high reward situation. The guy is making next to nothing and isn't' even guaranteed a spot, the great part is that he's a huge CB with excellent talent. People have absolutely no clue as to whether or not his struggles were scheme related or not, they just assume that this is Madden and a player will be just as good no matter what scheme he is in. If he flops then no harm done but if our coaching staff and get the most out of this guy like they did Rogers (before he slowed down) and Brown then we really have something here.

The reason why I don't like it because better options were out there at a position we are weak at. I do agree with you that maybe his struggles were because of scheme but again we have no clue. We can just go by what he has done. The harm is we wasted time on picking up a player when better options were out there. I also agree with you that this staff will get the best out of him. We just don't know what his best is. We just have to wait and see.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok guys its been great talking to some of you on this issue.

just want the draft to come now. He is on our team and I will support him and cheer for him. Again I hope I am wrong about him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not entirely sure who you're talking to here, but let's take a look at some things here:

LOL u grade him an I. That is worse then an F. Argument over. THis was too easy. Thanks for playing. Why would i give A. Smith an F or D. He is a top talent who starts. Again not making sense. Yes his off the field issues would matter because 1 more incident and he is suspended. So yes it would matter.

No idea what you're even talking about here. Who rated him as an "I"? What does that even mean? As far as suspension, what would he be suspended for? He's never been suspended by the league to date, and I'm not aware of any PED or banned substance issues.

I'm done giving facts about cook. This was an easy win. Time to move. Tired of wasting my time on this. U keep false info or making stuff up. Thats what you do. u never once gave a link or a fact in this whole argument.

Again, no idea who you're talking to here - Imac or Whysies presumably - but last time you accused someone of making things up it didn't go very well for you. Remind me again how the Niners fixed their TO/delay problems in the playoffs.

The one thing that we both might look silly on is if some how he becomes a starter. I would be wrong about his grade and u would be wrong about calling the move irrelevant. Lets hope we are both wrong and he helps this team out.

And I fail to see how Cook becoming the starter makes anyone other than you look silly. Pretty much everyone with some sense has agreed that this move has no real downside, and could have decent upside if, for instance, Cook ends up as a starter or significant contributor.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reason why I don't like it because better options were out there at a position we are weak at. I do agree with you that maybe his struggles were because of scheme but again we have no clue. We can just go by what he has done. The harm is we wasted time on picking up a player when better options were out there. I also agree with you that this staff will get the best out of him. We just don't know what his best is. We just have to wait and see.

And adding him should not have prevented us from signing anyone else.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I is not worse than F. There is no grade worse than F.

It's clear you have no grasp on the working of the NFL. You look silly regardless of what happens. You either gave an F to a PLAYER (remember earlier when you said you weren't talking about the move, only the player) who is either not on the team, or is contributing in some way.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Every move a team makes has a reason. U have no clue what the front office is thinking. We have no idea that this ended the 49ers chances of singing another CB. If they did sign another CB chances are we don't draft one in the 1st 2 rds so yes I think by adding Cooks 49ers decided that they were done with the FA market at CB because they want to draft a CB with one of their early picks. We have Wright, Cooks, Cully, Brock at the CB position. This leaves open 1 high pick or FA pick up at that position. Again this is opinion because I don't work in the front office. IF they did sign another FA CB I just don't see them using a pick on a CB in the 1st 2 rds. We lost Rogers and Brown and we picked up Cooks and common sense would say they have 1 more in mind. That looks like a high draft pick now.

Wait. Signing Cook caused us to stop looking into CBs, despite making an offer to T Brown and visiting with Thurmond?

Please, demonstrate a slight knowledge of how the league works. So we lost two starters, and by signing Cooks it means we have 1 more in mind? But you have already said Cooks isn't a starter, so how is he being signed to replace Brown or Rogers? Maybe he's being signed to replace Parrish Cox? Since it's the off-season, and we're looking at camp bodies, maybe he's getting Marcus Cooper's roster spot? Maybe he's getting Nnamdi Asomugha roster spot from last summer?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L:doh:

Not since the ESPN boards have I seen someone make absolutely no sense, lose an argument and still claim victory. This is Cazic all over again.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last big name I remember them going after was one Justin Smith. Worked out pretty well I think.

My thoughts as well. The last 5 big name free agents were :

2013-Glenn Dorsey
2011-Braylon Edwards
2011-Donte Whitner
2008-Justin Smith
2007-Nate Clements

The rest of our moves have been under the radar moves that were low risk/ hig reward, or they have been players that other teams cut and do not count against the comp pick formula.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not since the ESPN boards have I seen someone make absolutely no sense, lose an argument and still claim victory. This is Cazic all over again.

It's really starting to look that way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This made me laugh. We all have been on the losing side of arguments. We all have had times of not following an argument. But this seems to be to going on to some extreme on both accounts. It's a perfect storm of occurrences because I don't think any of our posters are like this all of the time.