• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Chris Cook

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we just have to wait and see if they sign thurmond. If so then I'm fine with this. Let him fight for a spot. Let the best man win.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if his play improves, if he gets on the field with a much better front seven. The Vikings defense was atrocious last season. It helps when you have Aldon Smith, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, McDonald, JSmith on your side.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone care about this low risk signing. Cap hit = $0. Salary of 730K and cap hit of 570K, 570k salary drops Wilhoite 570k out of the top 51.

If you do not like his play in camp he will be cut before he ever affects the salary cap

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6'2", 212, 4.45 forty, 38" vertical, 11' broad, solid quickness times. The kid's got talent, and CB play in the NFL can be very scheme specific. Not saying he'll be the next Rogers, but for what is likely a pretty reasonable contract, why not?

But not a single INT in his career and he gave up the most TDs in the league. We already have guys like that.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Let's see if his play improves, if he gets on the field with a much better front seven. The Vikings defense was atrocious last season. It helps when you have Aldon Smith, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, McDonald, JSmith on your side.

While this is true, it was the secondary that killed them for the most part.
By the second quarter it seemed most teams had figured out they could pick on Cook, or Robinson..

But Cook has been bad his whole career, not just last season.
Even half assed CB's will get a pick now and again..
But, like I stated in an early post, this maybe could have been fixed with a good coach. He definitely has all the tools to be good.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners needed another CB to fill out the roster (even if / when they draft a couple of 'em). First move of the offseason I actually like.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
League-minimum with no guarantee. No-risk move with a potential that the light turns on and he becomes a serviceable 6'2" CB. I don't hate the move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League-minimum with no guarantee. No-risk move with a potential that the light turns on and he becomes a serviceable 6'2" CB. I don't hate the move.

[MEDIA=twitter]445604413449588736[/MEDIA]

I was pretty blah about this move, but I can definitely understand it. They see the physical tools and hope their coaching can turn him into something approaching the zip code of Sherman. If he can get away with all the holding then why not! :rollseyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nothing not to like about it. Not that people should be super excited about it. But it's a tryout for a physically talented player who was playing on a bad team. There's no downside whatsoever. If he sucks, we cut him and move on. The only possible negative is if he's just good enough to keep around at the expense of a better player at another position, and then he never really pans out as anything. But we need numbers at CB anyway, and someone is going to be the fifth guy.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing not to like about it. Not that people should be super excited about it. But it's a tryout for a physically talented player who was playing on a bad team. There's no downside whatsoever. If he sucks, we cut him and move on. The only possible negative is if he's just good enough to keep around at the expense of a better player at another position, and then he never really pans out as anything. But we need numbers at CB anyway, and someone is going to be the fifth guy.

There's another likely negative due to his personal history. We could be forced to make a tough decision if he gets arrested again. If he's tearing it up but gets a suspension that could be a tough decision on whether or not to keep him around. Or even if he barely makes the team and then does something stupid, we basically traded him and another young development player for a CB off the street.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's another likely negative due to his personal history. We could be forced to make a tough decision if he gets arrested again. If he's tearing it up but gets a suspension that could be a tough decision on whether or not to keep him around. Or even if he barely makes the team and then does something stupid, we basically traded him and another young development player for a CB off the street.

Sure, but that's kind of encapsulated in not panning out. If he earns a spot on the roster, I don't see a major drawback. Obviously the FO will have to keep close tabs on him to make sure he's not getting into trouble.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but that's kind of encapsulated in not panning out. If he earns a spot on the roster, I don't see a major drawback. Obviously the FO will have to keep close tabs on him to make sure he's not getting into trouble.
I would agree that he is not a major risk to sign but I wonder how the FO will be help to keep this kid in line. Aldon was a star for this team and ingnored until it was too late. Maybe they learned from that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is kind of like the Dahl pick up last year i guess. we are still going to draft a CB.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should mention that I think this is a good sign if he can keep his shit together.