• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd CFP Rankings

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the best thing for them honestly. I think they could beat ND, but right now Alabama and Clemson would have no problem moving the ball with ease against them the way their defense has played outside of last week.
Yeah. OSU is clearly a top-5 talented team though, so I keep waiting for them to start playing like it. If they keep playing how they have been then Michigan will easily beat them but being a rivalry game and knowing OSU's talent, I still feel like they have a good shot at beating Michigan. Even if they do that and beat NW though I'm still not sure they'd make the playoff.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Notre Dame isn't nearly as good as their ranking shows? I'm not saying they don't deserve the ranking. I think they do, based off of actual resume. I just don't think they're actually THAT good.I think Alabama or Clemson would destroy them and honestly I think Michigan would beat them if they played again.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont include Bama on that list. Saban is the only SEC coach that votes for 9 conference games every year....not his fault.
Nothing is stopping Saban from scheduling a decent team, right? So as long as he and his AD continue to choose to play FCS they should be included.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. OSU is clearly a top-5 talented team though, so I keep waiting for them to start playing like it. If they keep playing how they have been then Michigan will easily beat them but being a rivalry game and knowing OSU's talent, I still feel like they have a good shot at beating Michigan. Even if they do that and beat NW though I'm still not sure they'd make the playoff.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Notre Dame isn't nearly as good as their ranking shows? I'm not saying they don't deserve the ranking. I think they do, based off of actual resume. I just don't think they're actually THAT good.I think Alabama or Clemson would destroy them and honestly I think Michigan would beat them if they played again.
It's tough to say. They definitely have the talent to compete, but they haven't put it all together. It's similar to 2015 when they skated by all year barely beating several mediocre/bad teams and then lost at home to Michigan State. After that, they went on to destroy then top-10 michigan and ND. If that's the change that happens over the next 2-3 games, it may get them in. However, I really don't see it happening.

ND, it's hard to say. While michigan is still a good win, their other "big wins" at the time - VT and Stanford - look pretty bland now. I think this weekend is big for them in the court of public opinion. If they go out and just get by Syracuse, they may even drop. However, if they go out and shell them, it will at least help to restore faith in them. I think right now, it's clearly Alabama and Clemson and everyone else.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU only has one conference loss. Iowa State and Texas has two. At the moment, I would give WV the lead. WV beats Okie State, and Iowa State loses one more than time (they play Texas on the road), then we will see Okie-WV playing back-to-back.

Easily odds favor WV. Only way that flips is if they lose to OSU.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU only has one conference loss. Iowa State and Texas has two. At the moment, I would give WV the lead. WV beats Okie State, and Iowa State loses one more than time (they play Texas on the road), then we will see Okie-WV playing back-to-back.
Yeah I know how it could happen . It's just not the most likely outcome as it only happens in one scenario

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have a clear champion that is decided on the field. College football isn’t every other sport, what works for the NFL makes no sense when 130 teams spanning the entire spectrum of talent level are concerned. You assume that the human judgment element is inherently bad while arguing a system that would allow 8-4 teams from shitty conferences into a playoff is “deciding it on the field.” Never mind the added perk of completely destroying any relevance out of conference games and scheduling still have. I know... “but what if there’s exactly 8 undefeated teams one year?”

No more than 5 P5 teams can be undefeated ... Conference Championship Games. If we have 2 G5 teams and Notre Dame undefeated ... nice playoffs.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more than 5 P5 teams can be undefeated ... Conference Championship Games. If we have 2 G5 teams and Notre Dame undefeated ... nice playoffs.
:ipw:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know how it could happen . It's just not the most likely outcome as it only happens in one scenario

?????
WV is in:
1. They win 2
2. Lose to OU and Favored Texas beats ISU
3. Lose to OU and ISU beats Texas and chokes vs KSU
4. Loses to OSU and beats OU

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck is Florduh #13? Wow, talk about overrating a team

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?????
WV is in:
1. They win 2
2. Lose to OU and Favored Texas beats ISU
3. Lose to OU and ISU beats Texas and chokes vs KSU
4. Loses to OSU and beats OU
Sure but my response was about WVU and OU playing twice not just about WVU making the title game

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't fathom how people still want to argue for an 8 to 16 team playoff.

Here we are with a month left to play in the regular season and #1 and #2 have clearly separated themselves from everybody else. Hell, the gap between #1 and #2 is significant.

#5 got beat by 20-plus by a pretty average LSU team, and #6 fans laugh about how shitty of a defense they have.

7 through whatever simply doesn't matter this year and would get absolutely rolled in the playoffs.

Go with an 8 team playoff right now, and Bama would play Wazzu in the 1st round. Vegas would have that line at 20+ on a neutral field, and I don't see that game staying within 30.

This years bama seems to have more a separation than most years. And that aside, I'm still a fan of the 8 team format. If just to get a high speed non P5 team like UCF into the playoff's.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible (however unlikely) that Alabama, Clemson, ohio state, Washington State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Central Florida could have gone undefeated this year (I know ohio state lost to Purdue, Washington State lost to USC and Oklahoma lost to Texas). Had they all won their games, who would be chosen? We should have a clear champion that is decided on the field ... every other sport does.
Problem isn't what you desire, it's the proposed solutions.

You can't justify creating a worse system to "fix" the current one.

Find a way that doesn't throw out OCC results and doesn't see a win against Rutgers as the same as against Ohio State. You can't do what you want on imbalanced schedules. It can't work.

NFL has very balanced schedule so theirs works.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem isn't what you desire, it's the proposed solutions.

You can't justify creating a worse system to "fix" the current one.

Find a way that doesn't throw out OCC results and doesn't see a win against Rutgers as the same as against Ohio State. You can't do what you want on imbalanced schedules. It can't work.

NFL has very balanced schedule so theirs works.
It's such a tough thing when you go diving into scenario village. All pro sports have balanced schedules, but all pro sports have more than 4 playoff teams. There have been plenty of 8 seeds winning over 1 seeds/7 seeds winning over 2 seeds in the NBA/NHL. MLB has seen 12 Wild Card teams make the WS in the last 20 years, and 6 of them have won it. The NFL had 4 Wild Card teams win the SB just in the 2000's. It really is an argument were it's hard to say anyone is right and anyone is wrong.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's such a tough thing when you go diving into scenario village. All pro sports have balanced schedules, but all pro sports have more than 4 playoff teams. There have been plenty of 8 seeds winning over 1 seeds/7 seeds winning over 2 seeds in the NBA/NHL. MLB has seen 12 Wild Card teams make the WS in the last 20 years, and 6 of them have won it. The NFL had 4 Wild Card teams win the SB just in the 2000's. It really is an argument were it's hard to say anyone is right and anyone is wrong.
For sure upsets can and would happen and I wouldn't have any problem with that. Most sports crown a champion, but it's really a post season tournament winner.

College football attempted to crown the best regular season team and had issues with it. This compromise isn't terrible.

The fact that an 8 or even 16 seed could win it doesn't change that it isn't necessary.

But if we had to go to it, I just can't see using auto bids from a very flawed conference champion process to seed it. Just use this committee and expand the teams if we must.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Therein lies the problem, saying something is right/wrong ... there are preferences and I understand that but giving absolutes is silly.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully we have 4 more weeks to play because this list will be shit by that time.

4 is perfect. We are here because people don't want rematches. Remember?
I think the way that "rematch" was created was more of a problem than the rematch itself. Had LSU and Bama beaten semifinal opponents to get to a rematch, I don't see how anyone would have a legitimate argument against such a rematch.

In fact, I don't think they have a good argument with a selection at all if teams win a semifinal game. People didn't think Bama belonged last year. They beat a semifinal opponent to get to the final as opposed to just being placed in the final. Big difference.

What people didn't like was a rematch WITHOUT both teams having to go through other teams to get there.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This years bama seems to have more a separation than most years. And that aside, I'm still a fan of the 8 team format. If just to get a high speed non P5 team like UCF into the playoff's.
Many don't want to allow teams that are deemed "undeserving" into a playoff because they believe it will "devalue" the regular season and put the better team at risk of being upset by the less deserving team.

I don't see a downside to it. If they are truly "undeserving" they'll get their ass kicked and eliminated from going any further. If they "upset" the perceived better team, maybe that team wasn't really "better"...at least that day.

I seem to view it similar to Benjamin Franklin's axiom. "That it is better 100 guilty persons should escape than that one innocent person should suffer." Better to include an undeserving team than exclude one deserving team from the opportunity to participate in a playoff game.

But, I ain't in charge.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure upsets can and would happen and I wouldn't have any problem with that. Most sports crown a champion, but it's really a post season tournament winner.

College football attempted to crown the best regular season team and had issues with it. This compromise isn't terrible.

The fact that an 8 or even 16 seed could win it doesn't change that it isn't necessary.

But if we had to go to it, I just can't see using auto bids from a very flawed conference champion process to seed it. Just use this committee and expand the teams if we must.
The only real problem I have with a larger playoff is travel for the two fan bases that would make the final. I'm really not in favor of one that doesn't have the first round games at the four highest seeded team's home fields.

But, I also don't give one flying fuck about bowl games either so just classify me as a curmudgeon.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 is enough for now. Hell, we're 4 years into the system, and we've seen a total of two competitive semi final games.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therein lies the problem, saying something is right/wrong ... there are preferences and I understand that but giving absolutes is silly.
Its not that hard to fix the current system. Rely less human influence and debate. And more on the games on the field

6 team playoff with 5 autobids CC and 1 WC but there are some rules.

1.Every P5 team plays 10 P5 games and 2 patsy G5/FCS games. The committee can only use P5 games to evaluate a team.

2. If you have more than 2 losses and win your conference you lose your autobid. That spot becomes an extra WC spot.This is a far stronger version to determine the championship. Cuts out all the question marks and 800 page debates on who people "think" are the best teams

Clemson 12-1 CC, 12-1 UGA CC,12–1 Oklahoma CC,, 11-2 Ohio State CC , 11-2 USC,
Are in on Auto bid and12-1 Alabama most likely gets the At Large spot

12- 1 Clemson CC, 12-1 Oklahoma CC,11-2 Penn State CC,11-1 Washington CC, 13-0 Alabama CC,
Are all in on Auto bid 11-1 Ohio State moct likely gets the At Large Bid

13-0 Clemson CC,,12-1 Oklahoma CC,12-1 Michigan State CC,11-2 Stanford CC,12-1 Alabama CC

Are allí in on Auto Bids 11-1 Ohio State or !!-1 Iowa most likely get the At Large Bid

13-0 FSU CC, 12-1 Ohio State CC, 12-1 Oregon CC,12-1 Alabama CC
Are all in on Auto Bod 11 - 1 TCU and !1 - 1 Baylor are most likely in as the At Large Bids

This would be a much more clear cut system. That still allows the opportunity for the "opinion" teams. That run a watered down path and schedule. Due to lack f conference uniformity.Flawed poll systems, a flawed SOS system and using a committee with no criteria .....

You could expand to 8 and include G5's. UCF did beat Auburn and had a legitimate claim to the best team in he country last year. Based on results and common opponents as well . Under the current system I cant say they have had a true champion or the best teams. With all the human influence and debate