• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd CFP Rankings

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee got it about right.

Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame should be in the top 4 somewhere. Michigan and Georgia should be somewhere in the top 5.

Oklahoma has been sloppy on defense and winning too many close call games, but they play a solid schedule, and will probably play WV twice. Their 6th place spot is well deserved.

Michigan vs. Georgia debate will work itself out. Michigan wins the Big-10, they are in. Georgia wins the SEC, they are in as well.

Washington State is a bit overrated by the committee. Their schedule has been quite soft and lost to 5-5 USC.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it speaks as much about Penn State as it does everybody else.

Who is better that is ranked below them? Washington is probably the only team below them that would be an equal or maybe favored on an neutral field.
this is in my opinion before anyone freaks out
arguably texas
washington
miss state beats them
if healthy-utah and BC take them

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't fathom how people still want to argue for an 8 to 16 team playoff.

Here we are with a month left to play in the regular season and #1 and #2 have clearly separated themselves from everybody else. Hell, the gap between #1 and #2 is significant.

#5 got beat by 20-plus by a pretty average LSU team, and #6 fans laugh about how shitty of a defense they have.

7 through whatever simply doesn't matter this year and would get absolutely rolled in the playoffs.

Go with an 8 team playoff right now, and Bama would play Wazzu in the 1st round. Vegas would have that line at 20+ on a neutral field, and I don't see that game staying within 30.

Because I like football, especially games that are meaningful. Added benefit is I don’t have to hear “didn’t want to be there”

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is in my opinion before anyone freaks out
arguably texas
washington
miss state beats them
if healthy-utah and BC take them

Texas can barely field 11 defenders right now. I’ll be ecstatic if they beat Iowa State this weekend. Healthy they may win, but right now I don’t think they are top 25.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas can barely field 11 defenders right now. I’ll be ecstatic if they beat Iowa State this weekend. Healthy they may win, but right now I don’t think they are top 25.
well true, if healthy............but it doesnt appear they took injuries into consideration

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well true, if healthy............but it doesnt appear they took injuries into consideration

Just have to win now. That is the strange part of college football. How you are playing at the end of the regular season is irrelevant, because you get a month to get healthy. I can think of 2 national champions that probably don’t win if the playoffs started a week or 2 after the season

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia beat a ranked Auburn team while Michigan beat a bottom of the barrel Rutgers team. I've thought Georgia should've been ranked ahead of Michigan. Georgia has better wins than Michigan as well, but they have a "worse" loss.
Eh I'm not sure UGA has better wins really . UGA has beat 2 ranked teams ( Florida and UK), Michigan has beat 2 ( PSU and NW), both have wins over fringe too 25 teams ( Auburn and MSU ). Pretty similar really.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it speaks as much about Penn State as it does everybody else.

Who is better that is ranked below them? Washington is probably the only team below them that would be an equal or maybe favored on an neutral field.
Iowa St is 10th in the Vegas top 25.... No... Seriously .... Lol

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 teams would be perfect ... P5 Conference Champs ... and 3 at large teams ... if the season ended today and Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma and Washington State were the Champs ... Notre Dame, Georgia and Central Florida would round out the Eight. Seems pretty fair.
Sorry, this year is the death nail for this argument.

Auto bids are just dumb and don't achieve what otherwise well intentioned folks think they will.

How fair is it to settle playoff spots on imbalanced schedules? When only the B12 plays every team in their own league none of the others are fair in any way. You can't count beating Vandy as being equal to beating Georgia. They are not the same thing. You can't count beating Rutgers as the same as Ohio State. And yet that's exactly what an auto bid does. When some team from the other division plays one and not the other while others they are compared to do, that is the result. And that's a fact. You make OOC games irrelevant (exhibition games only from now on) and base playoffs off schedules that can be grossly different.

If anyone beats WSU over the next 3 games the winner from the Pac will have AT LEAST 3 losses, and possibly 4. That's grotesque.

Autobids simply do not create a fair and balanced approach to finding a champion. It really doesn't.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee got it about right.

Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame should be in the top 4 somewhere. Michigan and Georgia should be somewhere in the top 5.

Oklahoma has been sloppy on defense and winning too many close call games, but they play a solid schedule, and will probably play WV twice. Their 6th place spot is well deserved.

Michigan vs. Georgia debate will work itself out. Michigan wins the Big-10, they are in. Georgia wins the SEC, they are in as well.

Washington State is a bit overrated by the committee. Their schedule has been quite soft and lost to 5-5 USC.
It's pretty unlikely ou plays wvu twice . About a 33% chance. Not crazy low but not the most likely outcome

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this year is the death nail for this argument.

Auto bids are just dumb and don't achieve what otherwise well intentioned folks think they will.

How fair is it to settle playoff spots on imbalanced schedules? When only the B12 plays every team in their own league none of the others are fair in any way. You can't count beating Vandy as being equal to beating Georgia. They are not the same thing. You can't count beating Rutgers as the same as Ohio State. And yet that's exactly what an auto bid does. When some team from the other division plays one and not the other while others they are compared to do, that is the result. And that's a fact. You make OOC games irrelevant (exhibition games only from now on) and base playoffs off schedules that can be grossly different.

If anyone beats WSU over the next 3 games the winner from the Pac will have AT LEAST 3 losses, and possibly 4. That's grotesque.

Autobids simply do not create a fair and balanced approach to finding a champion. It really doesn't.

It is possible (however unlikely) that Alabama, Clemson, ohio state, Washington State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Central Florida could have gone undefeated this year (I know ohio state lost to Purdue, Washington State lost to USC and Oklahoma lost to Texas). Had they all won their games, who would be chosen? We should have a clear champion that is decided on the field ... every other sport does.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you on this one.

Other sports do give out autobids, but they are for all conferences/divisions. If we did it the way some on the board wants, only the so-called power 5 conferences would get one.

The problem -- the elephant in the room -- is that not all seasons are like 2013-2017, where all the power conference teams are ranked both by the computers and the human polling somewhere in the top 10 or even the top 12.

We had Wisconsin at 8-5 in 2012. We had 8-4 Connecticut in 2010. Also in 2010, we had Boise State (co-WAC champion) beating ACC champion VT. By their logic, VT would get the nod over Boise State. According to Anderson & Hester's SOS numbers, Boise actually played a BETTER schedule than VT did.

A BETTER idea would be take the top 5 highest ranked/rated CCs, and give them an autobid. This way, you take out conference bias/tags and give the conferences the opportunity compete against each other.

In other words, ignoring SOS and the amount of Ws, and rewarding based on conference tags, is a mistake.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty unlikely ou plays wvu twice . About a 33% chance. Not crazy low but not the most likely outcome

WVU only has one conference loss. Iowa State and Texas has two. At the moment, I would give WV the lead. WV beats Okie State, and Iowa State loses one more than time (they play Texas on the road), then we will see Okie-WV playing back-to-back.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally no difference between playing them now or at the beginning of the season. It happens every year, so cry moar.
And most Big Ten teams schedule chumps all year long, instead of just the end of the year. This week is still my favorite, where they LOST to Troy, Kansas (by 41 points), Temple, BYU, South Florida, Akron and Missouri. And the one win that actually looked good, OSU over TCU is now proven to be another chump game.
upload_2018-11-14_7-15-23.png

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible (however unlikely) that Alabama, Clemson, ohio state, Washington State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Central Florida could have gone undefeated this year (I know ohio state lost to Purdue, Washington State lost to USC and Oklahoma lost to Texas). Had they all won their games, who would be chosen? We should have a clear champion that is decided on the field ... every other sport does.

We do have a clear champion that is decided on the field. College football isn’t every other sport, what works for the NFL makes no sense when 130 teams spanning the entire spectrum of talent level are concerned. You assume that the human judgment element is inherently bad while arguing a system that would allow 8-4 teams from shitty conferences into a playoff is “deciding it on the field.” Never mind the added perk of completely destroying any relevance out of conference games and scheduling still have. I know... “but what if there’s exactly 8 undefeated teams one year?”

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most Big Ten teams schedule chumps all year long, instead of just the end of the year. This week is still my favorite, where they LOST to Troy, Kansas (by 41 points), Temple, BYU, South Florida, Akron and Missouri. And the one win that actually looked good, OSU over TCU is now proven to be another chump game.
View attachment 190723
The B1G also has OOC wins over #15 Texas, #16 Iowa State, #20 BC, and #23 Utah State. What other conference can claim OOC wins over 4 currently ranked teams? The only team ranked higher than Texas with an OOC loss is michigan vs. ND, and they're not in a conference.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We moved up a spot! Woo!!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless OSU goes out and blows out Maryland and michigan and then Northwestern in the CCG, they're not making the playoff. I think if they win against Maryland Saturday, it will also but sew up a spot in the Rose Bowl for them. Only way I see it not happening is if they lose to michigan and they get upset by NW in the CCG.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless OSU goes out and blows out Maryland and michigan and then Northwestern in the CCG, they're not making the playoff. I think if they win against Maryland Saturday, it will also but sew up a spot in the Rose Bowl for them. Only way I see it not happening is if they lose to michigan and they get upset by NW in the CCG.
I agree. And if they lose to Michigan then they won't be playing in the CCG anyway, so they wouldn't get that additional loss to NW. So yeah, if they beat Maryland then worst case scenario is they're 10-2...they'd definitely make the Rose Bowl then.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. And if they lose to Michigan then they won't be playing in the CCG anyway, so they wouldn't get that additional loss to NW. So yeah, if they beat Maryland then worst case scenario is they're 10-2...they'd definitely make the Rose Bowl then.
Probably the best thing for them honestly. I think they could beat ND, but right now Alabama and Clemson would have no problem moving the ball with ease against them the way their defense has played outside of last week.