• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3-4

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Suh leaves in free agency what do you guys think the odds are that we transition to a 3-4 scheme?

We'd have to go after a NT in free agency if we want to make the switch, but we have guys like Jason Jones, Devin Taylor, and Andre Fluellen that fit the mold of a 5- tech DE. Ziggy could move back and fourth between a stand-up rusher or a hand in the dirt DE. Van Noy and Whitehead both had a lot of success as stand up rushers in college. Larry Webster is another guy who could be a rush backer, or he could add 20 lbs and play DE. Tulluch would be an ideal 3-4 ILB with his adequate interior pass rush and stout run defense.

It's an interesting concept to ponder- we have some pieces that are scheme-versatile, so a switch isn't unreasonable. Ideally, though, Suh stays and we keep whooping ass in our current 4-3...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would have to bring Bynes back and still find another ILB. We are set at OLB. The fact we resigned George Johnson leads me to believe we won't go that way unless we do not sign any DTs in FA, not just Suh. If we do not get Mosely or Fairly either than maybe it makes sense. I admit I have suggested doing it.

I hear where you are coming from though with regard to Suh. We would have enough money to sign another half of a team if he leaves so we could pretty much do whatever we wanted as far as changing personnel around.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just talking about this with a Chiefs fan from work yesterday. My thoughts were spot on with your thinking. As OL is saying, they are a few guys short in the front seven. Now is the time If Caldwell or Austin want to go that direction.

My two fears in changing schemes, is one, leaving one that was not broke. Why attempt to fix it? Second fear is Austin pulls it off gets a HC gig and then new DC with new transformation in the infantile stages goes awry.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh leaves and that happens they need to be sitting on Terrance Knighton's doorstep at 11:59 on 3/9.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not interested at all.

Ziggy is the centerpiece of the defense now and he is a perfect 4-3 DE. He was already raw coming out of college. Now he has to learn how to play 3-4 OLB?

We have 0 NT and Danny Shelton will be long gone by pick #23. Jordan Phillips is the most over rated player in the draft and is being talked up like a 1st rounder,lol

Jason Jones and Fluellen are replacement level talents and Devin Taylor lacks the strength to handle the 5 tech.

Our best player as of this moment is Deandre Levy and he is a perfect 4-3 WLB. Not interested in moving him either.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh leaves and that happens they need to be sitting on Terrance Knighton's doorstep at 11:59 on 3/9.

Pretty much what they did when waiting for KVB. Schwartz was allegedly right outside waiting for the clock to strike 12:00 am.

I just hope the front office isn't putting all their cards on the table for one scenario only (Suh) while possibly missing out on Knighton or Fairley (don't really want Fairley back but if they can't sign Suh or Knighton there's not much else out there).

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. In his first year as DC, Austin would have made the change if he was going to do it. Our personell fit the 3-4 very well. Fairley at NT is prototypical. Jones at DE, as well. Suh is exactly what you want as a DE, and even though small for a NT, has the brute strength to fill in for Fairley. Ziggy has played OLB before, if memory serves me correctly, and Van Noy is a protypical OLB(albeit slightly lighter) that's really a tweener in our 4-3. Tulloch and Levy are also more than serviceable ILB's. So, no, I don't foresee a 3-4.

Personally, I prefer a 4-3 anyways.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ziggy did play quite a bit of snaps at BYU as an OLB, whether as a rush LB or drop into coverage. It wasn't a massive amount of snaps but BYU did move him all over, just like they did with Van Noy

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what they did when waiting for KVB. Schwartz was allegedly right outside waiting for the clock to strike 12:00 am.

I just hope the front office isn't putting all their cards on the table for one scenario only (Suh) while possibly missing out on Knighton or Fairley (don't really want Fairley back but if they can't sign Suh or Knighton there's not much else out there).

If they can't get Suh back they pretty much have to get Fairly back. They have to keep one of their starters. Caraun Reid can't be our only returning DT. Can't go into next season with CJ Mosley and Andre Fluellen as our starters. Gotta have Suh or Fairley and if it's Fairley hopefully they can get a Pork Chop or another good veteran free agent to start beside him.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones would make a fine 3-4 DE. Not sure about Ansah but he's been progressing well and is physically large enough.

Can Reid play NT if we sign one and draft one? Who will be the extra ILB?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones would make a fine 3-4 DE. Not sure about Ansah but he's been progressing well and is physically large enough.

Levy. Then sign this guy to play OLB

ravensb_logo.gif
Pernell McPhee, DE/OLB, Ravens. Age: 26.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

Playing behind Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs, Pernell McPhee put great pressure on the quarterback, racking up 7.5 sacks despite being on the field for limited snaps. He also handled the run well.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ravensb_logo.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

Playing behind Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs, Pernell McPhee put great pressure on the quarterback, racking up 7.5 sacks despite being on the field for limited snaps. He also handled the run well.
He's reportedly seeking $8+ million per season...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ravensb_logo.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

He's reportedly seeking $8+ million per season...

fiscally speaking 1st and foremost, then adding in player performance/production, I would keep Tully as the other ILB along with Whitehead, while having Levy and VanNoy as your OLB.

I know there have been discussions on this board regarding the possibility of cutting Tully (mostly staying in a 4-3 base though) but the savings are far more beneficial financially in 2016 vs 2015, and you still have a starter who's familiar with Austin's diversity. Tully should be able to have at least 1 more year (if not more) of quality production in him. Mayhew could look to draft his replacement this year which would obviously end up being a helluva lot cheaper and younger.

Tully's
2015 cap hit 5.8..... dead $$$ 2.6M.... savings pre-June 1st 3.2M
2016 cap hit 7.3..... dead $$$ 1.3M.... savings pre-June 1st 6.0M

I just hate to see paying players (Houston 3.9M, Bush 3.5M, KVB 5.75M) that are no longer on the roster.

I do like the idea of having the caliber of player that McPhee is, but I don't believe it's in the best interest for the team this year $$$-wise. Reiff and Levy are both FA's next year so you've got to keep that in mind too not to mention the fact there isn't a starting DT on the roster yet. (Caraun Reid might become one by default but let's look at him now more in line as a rotational player)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:.... I understand that every team will always have some dead money. 17.3+M isn't something I want to see in the future...... EVER AGAIN...

The Lions lead the league in dead $$$, for now. that will probably change by/before Tuesday but still
1st. Det 17.3M
2nd. Bal 13.1M
3rd. Dal 12.8M
4th. PIT 9.7M
5th. Nyg 8.8M
6th. KC 8.0M
7th. Car 7.6M
8th. Atl 7.6M
9th. Sea 7.5M
10th. TB 7.1M

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has dead money, though.
Yes they do, and when used correctly it can be a very beneficial tool for cap mgmt.

The Houston hit is a snakebite no one could have seen coming, even I don't fault Lewand there.

The Suh hit is another story though, but there is no need to go over that again. I am confident that everyone who reads this post knows how I feel on the matter.

I did learn something interesting from it though (if I am fully understanding the rule correctly) that I would love to see the Lions use more and wonder how often other teams do, and that is the voidable year in a contract.

A voidable year is still an under contract year until it is voided, as a result you can continue to amortize signing and option bonus dollars in that contract year. That's how and why Suh has dead $ but is no longer under contract, he exercised his voidable year.

Unfortunately the use of that in restructuring Suh's contract was a horrible decision but there are definitely contracts that would make sense to add on a voidable year. They would all be ones where you knew that option would be exercised and of course some dead $ but that extra year opens up a ton of flexibility on how you can layering in cap hits among your higher paid players. Huge help if used correctly, but I don't see that on many of our contracts which surprises me.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. In his first year as DC, Austin would have made the change if he was going to do it. Our personell fit the 3-4 very well. Fairley at NT is prototypical. Jones at DE, as well. Suh is exactly what you want as a DE, and even though small for a NT, has the brute strength to fill in for Fairley. Ziggy has played OLB before, if memory serves me correctly, and Van Noy is a protypical OLB(albeit slightly lighter) that's really a tweener in our 4-3. Tulloch and Levy are also more than serviceable ILB's. So, no, I don't foresee a 3-4.

Personally, I prefer a 4-3 anyways.

I agree that our personnel fit the 3-4 quite well last year. Suh actually played in the 3-4 at Nebraska, I believe. But if you recall, keeping a 4-3 alignment was basically made a condition to getting hired as Lions HC last year. I don't think Austin had the option to change.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew, Caldwell and Austin have all gone on record that the 3-4 is an option for this team in 2015, specifically stating that they currently have many pieces of the personnel required to go that route, if they so choose to do so

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick up Knighton for NT.

You have Whitehead and Tulloch as MLBs. Levy Strong side and Van Noy weak.

Problem is the end lineman, not insurmountable but some changes would have to be made. I like Ansah and not sure he would fit.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ansah has the athleticism, speed, and explosion to be a terror as a sand-up rusher...