• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$21 million was not enough with his deadline approaching

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the first quarter and half of the second? Pats were dominating. A bad int by TB kept it close. But honestly Seattle's O was doing nothing. I was nervous after the circus catch deja vu.

Yes I did and it was 2 evenly matched teams on the field. If the Pats dominated Seattle, it should have been an easy victory by 20 plus pts.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks need him and Wilson knows it. He'll get his payday without question.

But on the same note - head to head competition aside, are there really some whom feel that Wilson should be on the same level as Rodgers?

Really?

Other than AR there isn't a QB in the league I'd want on my team for the future than Wilson. None.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than AR there isn't a QB in the league I'd want on my team for the future than Wilson. None.

Interesting thought. If one only looks only at what a QB's team has accomplished over his career, then that it is a reasonable conclusion. If one looks a bit deeper, however, he might conclude that Wilson has benefited from a better surrounding cast than some other young QBs might have enjoyed. It's been discussed a lot in the past, for example, but I really doubt that there is a single GM in the league who would take Wilson over Luck if given the choice.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thought. If one only looks only at what a QB's team has accomplished over his career, then that it is a reasonable conclusion. If one looks a bit deeper, however, he might conclude that Wilson has benefited from a better surrounding cast than some other young QBs might have enjoyed. It's been discussed a lot in the past, for example, but I really doubt that there is a single GM in the league who would take Wilson over Luck if given the choice.

I would agree that probably 95% of GM's would choose Luck over Wilson, but RW should get a ton of credit for putting this franchise back on the map. T-Jax had the same crew and wasn't very good, RW takes the helm and it's back to back SB appearances.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that probably 95% of GM's would choose Luck over Wilson, but RW should get a ton of credit for putting this franchise back on the map. T-Jax had the same crew and wasn't very good, RW takes the helm and it's back to back SB appearances.

Perhaps you are right that probably 1.6 of the 32 GMs in the league would prefer RW to Luck taking snaps. All just speculation, of course. No denying how valuable RW has been to Seattle.

I don't follow Seattle as closely or watch as many of their games as Seahwaks fans do, so I am interested in your point about about RW basically playing with the same players that T-Jax played with. Is that right?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you'd rather have a mediocre 7-9 team with T-jax over a RW lead team
Perhaps you are right that probably 1.6 of the 32 GMs in the league would prefer RW to Luck taking snaps. All just speculation, of course. No denying how valuable RW has been to Seattle.

I don't follow Seattle as closely or watch as many of their games as Seahwaks fans do, so I am interested in your point about about RW basically playing with the same players that T-Jax played with. Is that right?
well the legion of boom played with TJak and so did a younger Lynch, I'd say the majority of the roster was the same. Course there was turn over. However the difference really is that when the Seahawks needed TJak to make a play, it seemed like he never did. RW makes lots of big plays.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta get it while you can and strike while the iron is hot.
He should get more than Cam & Ryan got on their deals.

True but these owners and GM's aren't new to the game, they're not going to make him the highest paid player in the NFL, because he's not the best player in the NFL and although he's had good success, he's only 3 yrs in isn't he ?....I'd call his bluff and make him play out his rookie contract and make him earn every bit of a big contract before I signed him....
We did it with Joe, and yes he proved himself and got paid...That's the way it should be IMO..

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but these owners and GM's aren't new to the game, they're not going to make him the highest paid player in the NFL, because he's not the best player in the NFL and although he's had good success, he's only 3 yrs in isn't he ?....I'd call his bluff and make him play out his rookie contract and make him earn every bit of a big contract before I signed him....
We did it with Joe, and yes he proved himself and got paid...That's the way it should be IMO..
So Joe earned it. What did he do, win a super bowl? Is that how he earned it?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Joe earned it. What did he do, win a super bowl? Is that how he earned it?

Not just that Harold, he led us to 5 straight playoffs, 3 AFCCG's and a SB MVP before he got paid.
RW has not accumulated that much yet to be the highest paid player in the NFL.
1 SB W, 1 L....2 AFCCG'S...very good but not enough for what he's asking IMO.
21M per is huge money, and it could backfire on him with a bad yr or injury in the final yr if he plays it out.
All I'm saying is make him earn it, if not, it's gonna hurt your team, you can book that for sure....

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay the man Flacco money and lock him up long term. Good kid on and off the field. He's earned it IMO.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could look at it like that, or you could say seattle got lucky with that miracle catch to put them in the red zone. They had no business winning that game dude we outplayed them plain and simple.

Get real. Brady couldn't do crap until Avril was out and he had a guy who didn't belong on the field in the secondary to pick on. There was absolutely no outplaying going on there.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril didn't leave the game until the 3rd quarter. Brady already threw two TDs before he went out. It was RW who didn't complete a pass until somewhere near the 20 minute mark. Keep it real.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril didn't leave the game until the 3rd quarter. Brady already threw two TDs before he went out. It was RW who didn't complete a pass until somewhere near the 20 minute mark. Keep it real.

Yeah, and how many picks did he throw to that point? He was not playing well until he had time to set his feet and a scrub to pick on. That's when he heated up.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure Wilson had a better D and RB, but Luck has had way better WRs and TEs and a better OL. Luck forces far to many passes and make far more bad decisions. Wilson makes better plays with his feet and can make any throw. I'll take Wilson.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Wilson had a better D and RB, but Luck has had way better WRs and TEs and a better OL. Luck forces far to many passes and make far more bad decisions. Wilson makes better plays with his feet and can make any throw. I'll take Wilson.

LeChuck421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Seahawks don't lock him up and that in 2 years he's on the Cardinals. But if I were them and wanted to keep him, I'd be offering some like 4 years @ 18M, fully guaranteed (I don't know their cap situation so I don't know how that would split between signing bonus/yearly salarly). He seems that guaranteed money is more important at to him than yearly salary since he was making less than 1M for each of the years he's played so far. Wilson is the #2 young QB in my opinion. Aaron Rodgers has a few more years but pretty soon Luck and Wilson will overtake him as best in the game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it's what he's selling: T E A M !...leadership!!
Screw this individual shit for this position, in this league

I know that Wilson stirs the drink and the defense/Lynch don't see SB's without this guy

Agree...Stats are for fantasy and I don't play fantasy...the top guys he wants to be paid like or more than (reportedly) do both...lead and put up big numbers thru the air consistently.

Again...I hope he it gets it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the first quarter and half of the second? Pats were dominating. A bad int by TB kept it close. But honestly Seattle's O was doing nothing. I was nervous after the circus catch deja vu.

You do realize that the Patriots were losing by 10 points with less than 8 minutes to go in the game and were losing until there was 2:00 left in the game? You also realize that the Seahawks had more yards on offense?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who cares when Wilson or Brady got hot in that game? You don't win the superbowl in the first 20 minutes. All 60 minutes count.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Trash talking aside, the reality is that if Wilson does not sign then he loses about $20 million in avarage salary this year not to even mention getting the signing bonus.

Worst case for the Seahawks is that they play him out at $1.5 million this year, tag him next year which would be the average of the top 5 salaries for the position, which would be in the same range of about $21-22 million. Then the next year the Seahawks could tag him again with a 10% raise, which would probably put it in the $24-25 million range (by then Luck will be making that much or more).

The downside to this would be that Seattle would have to eat the entire amount against the cap instead of spreading it over all of the years of a long term deal. But it appears that the Seahawks still hold his rights for the next 3 years running.