• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$21 million was not enough with his deadline approaching

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Trash talking aside, the reality is that if Wilson does not sign then he loses about $20 million in avarage salary this year not to even mention getting the signing bonus.

Worst case for the Seahawks is that they play him out at $1.5 million this year, tag him next year which would be the average of the top 5 salaries for the position, which would be in the same range of about $21-22 million. Then the next year the Seahawks could tag him again with a 10% raise, which would probably put it in the $24-25 million range (by then Luck will be making that much or more).

The downside to this would be that Seattle would have to eat the entire amount against the cap instead of spreading it over all of the years of a long term deal. But it appears that the Seahawks still hold his rights for the next 3 years running.

It's going to be expensive either way, but the team has nothing to gain imo by dragging RW out over another 2 or 3 years...I expect something to get done soon.

RW...the guy was a 3rd pick, now we're talking about $20+ mil per for 6yrs...his value is at it's peak right now...i.e. he has more to lose than anyone imo. I've said this several times...I hope he gets it all, but if SEA has just an okay season his stock could go down.

I think players get in a trouble when they get too caught up in making more than this guy or that guy...at a several level I understand it, but when the figure hits 9 digits and every team's cap situation is different I think you take the offer and keep it rolling.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Seattle doesn't Budge. 21 mil. a year is nothing to sneeze at & as other have pointed out. Financially, it wont make sense for Wilson not to sign & wait another year. Next year he will get a bigger contract, but in reality, not more money (accounting for lost money this year) So then it will just be an ego thing of look at my contract.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can rest easy. I haven't seen any NFL fan say RW>AR.

Nobody is saying that RW is better then or should be paid more then ARodge...

But I will say.... through 3 years Wilson has been to the playoffs 3 times, been to 2 super bowls and won 1. While Arodge through 3 years had nothing but splinters in his back side from riding the pine.....

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Trash talking aside, the reality is that if Wilson does not sign then he loses about $20 million in avarage salary this year not to even mention getting the signing bonus.

Worst case for the Seahawks is that they play him out at $1.5 million this year, tag him next year which would be the average of the top 5 salaries for the position, which would be in the same range of about $21-22 million. Then the next year the Seahawks could tag him again with a 10% raise, which would probably put it in the $24-25 million range (by then Luck will be making that much or more).

The downside to this would be that Seattle would have to eat the entire amount against the cap instead of spreading it over all of the years of a long term deal. But it appears that the Seahawks still hold his rights for the next 3 years running.

Let me preface this by saying I think a long term deal will get done at some point before the start of 2016.

Tagging him in 2016 is going to cost right around $20 mil. Tagging him again in 2017 would cost a 120% of his 2016 salary or the average of the top 5 QBs, whichever is higher. It would be around $24 mil. A third tag in 2018 would cost 144% of his 2017 salary, which would be $34.5 mil.

The issue for the Seahawks is that the money becomes guaranteed the minute Wilson signs the tag each year. That means that Wilson & his agent are likely looking for $70-$80 mil in non-injury guaranteed money, which would fall in the realm of the 3x franchise tag total. That is their starting point.

The other issue is that the Seahawks are likely offering a deal in "new money" around 4/$84 mil & claiming the deal averages $21 mil a season. The reality is that a new deal like that is actually a 5/$85.5 mil deal when factoring in his 2015 salary. The average then becomes $17 mil a season. From Wilson's perspective, in order to get to the $21 mil a year average, the contract would need to 4/$103.5 mil in "new money".

These two issues are tough for the Seahawks to swallow for 2 reasons: First, giving him that much money in guarantees mean they have to put that money in escrow, a bad place to put that amount of money for guys who like to make money. And secondly, it bumps up the cap hit substantially.

The Seahawks will eventually bite the bullet & pay Wilson what he wants. The alternative is not having a good QB on the team & a return to the QB shuffle that existed prior to him arriving in Seattle. Anyone who thinks Wilson wouldn't get that money on the open market, doesn't understand the realities of the value of good NFL QBs.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should take the $$$. What if he get's hurt or has a down year? He will make 19-20 more million this season and has long term security. If he as a bad year his value could drop. It's not likely, but it's possible. How much he's costing himself this season alone...is questionable. He's a confident dude.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle needs to stop being cheap and pay the man.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think they are being cheap?
They've been low-balling him the entire time. If you want to keep a franchise quarterback it's going to cost a lot. As each QB contract comes to a close the new one will likely be the highest paid player in the league. It's been like that for years.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been low-balling him the entire time. If you want to keep a franchise quarterback it's going to cost a lot. As each QB contract comes to a close the new one will likely be the highest paid player in the league. It's been like that for years.

The only info thats leaked is they offered 21mill, hows that low balling?

Also it's not that they dont want to give him what he wants. its that they can't, they are paying a boat load of other stars too.....

It'sll get done. Im Calling the announcement comes Thursday.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things, and these points lean on each side of the equation (except the one he's not "worth the money".. To say that about a sports player is to say "A politician isn't worth the office")

1) Russell Wilson's rookie contract was low...
Go talk to a Redskins fan (you can find them on here) and ask them about RG3's paycheck. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it if he was healthy and being productive for the organization. Russell Wilson has done amazing things for the Seattle Seahawks. You can see a brilliant player on the field when he plays, and you never see him in the bad public eye -- really, only the good. Children's hospitals, waiting until marriage with Ciara, a strong faith in God. Wilson is showing he won't get a huge contract and do what Aaron Hernandez has.

on the other hand;

2) How much can one afford?
If he plans on remaining a Seahawk (which I suggest), he's going to have to realize that one player, no matter how great or how superior, can't win a championship on their own. This is why Tom Brady fell in 2 Super Bowls versus the Giants. He should know the team has Richard Sherman, Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, and a couple others. They all deserve some money too (and some have already gotten it).. If one feels like they can make money elsewhere, they won't think twice about jumping ship.. So Russell Wilson has to decide (as well as any other player in free agency or in contract discussions) if they want to make money or win championships.

Me personally, it's not hard to tell I'm a fan of Russell Wilson and his character. If Tony Romo were to retire after this year, and I had my choice at anyone else in the league for the next 10 years, I'm looking at Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. Those are two men you don't have to worry about off the field and can get it done on the field. People like Cam Newton, RG3, Andy Dalton, and Johnny Manziel are other stories for another time.

I hope Wilson gets his money, and I'd imagine he would do right by it. Nobody's debate should include "Does he deserve it?", because again, does a politician deserve the office? Does a guy working in a carpenter shop 7 days a week deserve less money than a Hollywood star who uses a stunt double?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only info thats leaked is they offered 21mill, hows that low balling?

Also it's not that they dont want to give him what he wants. its that they can't, they are paying a boat load of other stars too.....

It'sll get done. Im Calling the announcement comes Thursday.
Their initial offer was something like 16.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their initial offer was something like 16.
That is negotiation, not being cheap. Offering RW a reported $21M is not being cheap. Most surveys have RW pegged as anywhere from a high of 5th best QB, to a low of about 12th best qb. Averaging those out, let's say RW is 8th best NFL qb.
You still think somewhere around $21M is cheap?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is negotiation, not being cheap. Offering RW a reported $21M is not being cheap. Most surveys have RW pegged as anywhere from a high of 5th best QB, to a low of about 12th best qb. Averaging those out, let's say RW is 8th best NFL qb.
You still think somewhere around $21M is cheap?
I think they have been trying to be as cheap as possible. Realistically it was always going to end in a high number. Agents and players know their earning potential and Seattle has been wasting a lot of time on this negotiation by thinking they could be cheap.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind him asking for the most money and I wouldn't actually mind him getting it because that would make Seattle weaker or he'll go out and prove it when key players leave, however, I do mind the fact that I know that once he gets a deal done he will say it wasn't about money and that he didn't care about money and that he would play for less. That would bug the hell out of me and I know it's going to happen. He's going to say that. And the worst thing is, some people will believe him. 21 Million, fine, it's about respect and making sure that Seattle doesn't think about replacing him. But 25 million? Then it is about money.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have been trying to be as cheap as possible. Realistically it was always going to end in a high number. Agents and players know their earning potential and Seattle has been wasting a lot of time on this negotiation by thinking they could be cheap.
If a GM is not fiscally responsible, he will be out of a job quickly.
So why do you think $21M is cheap for RW?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a GM is not fiscally responsible, he will be out of a job quickly.
So why do you think $21M is cheap for RW?
Even quarterbacks below Aaron Rodgers' capabilities have been getting historic contracts. It's a league trend and expecting anything less is wishful thinking.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should take the $$$. What if he get's hurt or has a down year? He will make 19-20 more million this season and has long term security. If he as a bad year his value could drop. It's not likely, but it's possible. How much he's costing himself this season alone...is questionable. He's a confident dude.

I think he's most confident that he'll get a better deal closer to Friday than he will right now. He'd have to be dumb to play for around a twentieth of what he'll get when he signs his new deal.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even quarterbacks below Aaron Rodgers' capabilities have been getting historic contracts. It's a league trend and expecting anything less is wishful thinking.
I have asked you a few times if or why you think a $21M offer is being cheap. You provide no answer, so I will move on.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have asked you a few times if or why you think a $21M offer is being cheap. You provide no answer, so I will move on.
Did he get offered the largest contract to date? No? Then there's your answer.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he get offered the largest contract to date? No? Then there's your answer.
So if they didn't offer the largest contract to date...you consider that low balling? That's crazy talk.