• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$21 million was not enough with his deadline approaching

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying those forced picks didn't keep them in the game?

Just like the 2 TD's kept the pats in the game. That was the game. This is like arguing with a 2 year old. And the gist of what you said was the Pats were outplaying them except for the 2 picks, which is moronic considering that's what the defense does. Believe what you want. I'm done.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Brady didn't throw the 2 int's, you have no way of knowing that the Pats would go up 6 to 14 pts.
You're right however they were in FG range. Chances are good they score at least 2 FGs. Damn they just marched it 80 beforecone of them.
I have to avoid you now unless we talk about QB contracts. I don't want to upset you know who.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right however they were in FG range. Chances are good they score at least 2 FGs. Damn they just marched it 80 beforecone of them.
I have to avoid you now unless we talk about QB contracts. I don't want to upset you know who.
You can't do it and you know it.

Seems bashing hawks fans is all you have left in the aftermath of the Brady news. Common tactic. When life brings you down you just attack someone else to feel better. How's that working for you champ?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true they were in FG range but stranger things could happen like a block fg, muffed snap, penalty etc. It's not a given they get 6 or even 3 pts. It's like me saying if Lynch gets the handoff at the 1 yd line he scores and Seattle wins, we will never know. My point is you ruffled some Hawks fans cause you used the word "dominate" when I believe it was a great game between 2 evenly matched teams and Butler making a great play to close out the victory for your team.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what RW is thinking right now? Should he or shouldn't he take the offer? WizardHawkModerator how did I do?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In essence, they are offering $21M per as a reward for his outstanding play. They will steer millions of those dollars towards his 2015 wage if RW desires that.
He is under contract for $1.5M this year because he was a 3rd round pick. Feel free to look up the contracts approved by Kam, ET, Sherm, and KJ Wright.
All of those contracts were awards for playing above the level of their rookie contracts.
So no, Seattle is not offering $17M per. RW must fulfill his rookie contract and his reward is whatever guarantees his new contract spells out.

As for RW, I just don't get what he is trying to do here. If he doesn't sign this week, then he is essentially giving up 10-15 million in unrealized wages. If we assume a 4 year deal, that is a lot of cash he has to make up next year.

RW and his agent are morons if they don't take the deal. The Hawks will just franchize him next year and he will be out millions for this year. And he is one good hit away from being RG3'd

These are correct. If RW does not sign, then he plays for $1.5 million this year which he will not be able to recoup in the overall scheme of things in future years. Playing for $1.5 million this year would be a possible $20 million loss of overall income.

In addition, the Seahawks will franchise him twice if absolutely necessary to to keep him.

So he is under team control for the next 3 years. He has nothing to gain and millions to lose by not signing a long term deal before this year.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright todays the day Ive been saying the deal gets done all along. News leaks around noon. Presser around 3/4ish to announce. Ive said it 3 or 4 times in this thread.

If Im wrong, ignore all of those posts :)

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright todays the day Ive been saying the deal gets done all along. News leaks around noon. Presser around 3/4ish to announce. Ive said it 3 or 4 times in this thread.

If Im wrong, ignore all of those posts :)

Today or early tomorrow morning is my bet.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the brightest knife in the shed but at what point is it ego and what point is it economics?

It looks like he is going to play for $1.5 mil this year versus the $22 Mill being offered. So lets call the difference $20 mil. If he accepts a contract next year for $24 Mil average, it will take him 10 years to make up for what he lost this year.
Plus if he signs this year he gets to the next contract one year sooner.

this is a head scratcher for me

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 mil isn't the problem, the guaranteed money is... It will get done

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the brightest knife in the shed but at what point is it ego and what point is it economics?

It looks like he is going to play for $1.5 mil this year versus the $22 Mill being offered. So lets call the difference $20 mil. If he accepts a contract next year for $24 Mil average, it will take him 10 years to make up for what he lost this year.
Plus if he signs this year he gets to the next contract one year sooner.

this is a head scratcher for me

These are just reported numbers and if they are reported contract numbers it means it comes from the agent side of things more often than not.

The chances are the "$21 million a year" is only new money and really doesn't count this year. It was reported that Cam's deal was for 5 years $103M. That wasn't the case. It was actually a 6 year deal for $118 (or there abouts). They only counted the "new" years and dollars of the contract over what he was already scheduled to make. They are probably doing the same thing here in Russel's case.

So if he was set to sign a contract that was 5 years worth $21 per, he likely was only being offered a 6 year deal for a total of about $107M. Which is way, way, way less than he should accept.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
These are just reported numbers and if they are reported contract numbers it means it comes from the agent side of things more often than not.

The chances are the "$21 million a year" is only new money and really doesn't count this year. It was reported that Cam's deal was for 5 years $103M. That wasn't the case. It was actually a 6 year deal for $118 (or there abouts). They only counted the "new" years and dollars of the contract over what he was already scheduled to make. They are probably doing the same thing here in Russel's case.

So if he was set to sign a contract that was 5 years worth $21 per, he likely was only being offered a 6 year deal for a total of about $107M. Which is way, way, way less than he should accept.

And this is exactly the reason I put the qualifier in about not being too bright.:scratch:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same thing about D. Thomas and Dez Bryant before they signed their deals. Anymore hard to know what is actually true and what is not. Seems anymore only about 5% of what is reported has any actual basis.

Heck I remember the Broncos talking that they used to release false information to the media just to mess with them.

Yea I take all of it with a grain of salt.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negotiation frequently go down to the deadline. I will be far more surprised if Wilson doesn't sign a new deal than I will if he signs one within the last hour of the negotiating period. Tough to turn down multiple years at $20 + million and play on a one year $1.5 million deal instead. Just doesn't make sense.