• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope so. Because he really hasn't been good for a while. 3 straight seasons under .900 sv%. San Jose got bad, but I think I would have preferred Holtby.
To be honest Holtby looked awful in Van as well. I don't mind the idea of fixing Jones as he could still be a starter in this league. Crossing fingers.

Last edited:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll guess Sanheim at $4.5M long term and Hart at $2.5M with fewer years so that he remains a RFA.

$7M total.
Yep bridge Hart so he can prove himself it would be best for both sides. Sanheim somewhere around there and I'd be fine long term with him he's getting better.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CF has been very active so far. That's a good sign he recognizes the team had several flaws and he's doing his best to fix the issues. Now hopefully these moves work out well for us.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering why Yandle signed with us for only 900K as it was well known that he was coveted by several other teams. I just read that Yandle and Kevin Hayes are real good friends and work out together. If he plays well Hayes gets the assist.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saad at 4.5M is a deal I'm jealous of. That's a steal for St. Louis.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saad at 4.5M is a deal I'm jealous of. That's a steal for St. Louis.
AuK8Vv.gif

Btw, you're gonna need a little Saad on the fairway there.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's where I think things stand, I think with the additions we made on defense we definitely seem more sound, still a few questions to be answered but definitely more optimistic.
That being said we didn't do anything of true impact to make this team a front runner. Did we improve? Yes we did, did we improve to the point of contention, IMO no. All I can assume is Fletcher has the utmost faith of everyone bouncing back and having stellar seasons, which I think were all hoping for. I'm not trying too be a downer but I think we ate to quickly and left some tasty deserts on the table.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's where I think things stand, I think with the additions we made on defense we definitely seem more sound, still a few questions to be answered but definitely more optimistic.
That being said we didn't do anything of true impact to make this team a front runner. Did we improve? Yes we did, did we improve to the point of contention, IMO no. All I can assume is Fletcher has the utmost faith of everyone bouncing back and having stellar seasons, which I think were all hoping for. I'm not trying too be a downer but I think we ate to quickly and left some tasty deserts on the table.
1 million percent agree with this post. Excellent assessment of this current team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also does anyone truly believe Martin Jones is a better back up then Elliott?

In terms of ability, no. But I do think Jones is capable of playing more than Elliot. Elliot was great with like 1 start per week, but more than that he was awful.

Jones WAS a better goalie. But I don't have much faith in him bouncing back to that after 3 straight years of bad play.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this too. I can see a path to where the Flyers can make a deep playoff run. But it relies on a lot of hoping.

I think this group fits together better. I think Ellis is not only a Niskanen replacement, but a Niskanen upgrade. I like Ristolainen's physicality and I think he's certainly an upgrade over '20/'21 Myers. Yandle is probably a step back from Ghost, but I like the Yandle/Braun 3rd pair. And York could be an upgrade on Yandle and Ghost if he comes out hot.

Up front, I really like the Voracek for Atkinson swap. First off, Atkinson brings PK prowess and SHG threat. I think that's going to be huge for a PK that has been absolutely dreadful. Second, he brings a better skill set on offense for what the Flyers need than Voracek did. Third, based on his first couple of interviews he brings an energy to the team that they sorely needed last year. Sounds like Ristolainen and Yandle will bring good energy too and Ellis can be a rock.

But for this team to be successful, they need the "next generation" to play like they were playing in '19/'20 before the pandemic. Hart has got to be a top 10 goalie. They need Provorov playing like a defensive stalwart and Sanheim to play like a 2-3 rather than a 4-5. Up front they have to do it with depth. TK has to be a 25 goal guy and a pest. Lindblom has to be a 15-20 goal guy and a beast on the boards and defensively. Farabee has to pick up where he left off last year.

The "old guard" are what they are. Giroux's going to give them 60ish points. Couturier is going to be a two way beast and hopefully give them 60+ points. Hayes is going to be a 45 point guy and good defensively. Those guys are what they are. They're not good enough to truly carry the team, they need the young guys to play to their ability.

For the Flyers to be a contender this year, the young guys have to be difference makers. Not just passengers. For them to win it all, Hart has to be the star.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this too. I can see a path to where the Flyers can make a deep playoff run. But it relies on a lot of hoping.

I think this group fits together better. I think Ellis is not only a Niskanen replacement, but a Niskanen upgrade. I like Ristolainen's physicality and I think he's certainly an upgrade over '20/'21 Myers. Yandle is probably a step back from Ghost, but I like the Yandle/Braun 3rd pair. And York could be an upgrade on Yandle and Ghost if he comes out hot.

Up front, I really like the Voracek for Atkinson swap. First off, Atkinson brings PK prowess and SHG threat. I think that's going to be huge for a PK that has been absolutely dreadful. Second, he brings a better skill set on offense for what the Flyers need than Voracek did. Third, based on his first couple of interviews he brings an energy to the team that they sorely needed last year. Sounds like Ristolainen and Yandle will bring good energy too and Ellis can be a rock.

But for this team to be successful, they need the "next generation" to play like they were playing in '19/'20 before the pandemic. Hart has got to be a top 10 goalie. They need Provorov playing like a defensive stalwart and Sanheim to play like a 2-3 rather than a 4-5. Up front they have to do it with depth. TK has to be a 25 goal guy and a pest. Lindblom has to be a 15-20 goal guy and a beast on the boards and defensively. Farabee has to pick up where he left off last year.

The "old guard" are what they are. Giroux's going to give them 60ish points. Couturier is going to be a two way beast and hopefully give them 60+ points. Hayes is going to be a 45 point guy and good defensively. Those guys are what they are. They're not good enough to truly carry the team, they need the young guys to play to their ability.

For the Flyers to be a contender this year, the young guys have to be difference makers. Not just passengers. For them to win it all, Hart has to be the star.
I agree 100 percent

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add 2 more things.

1. If Ristolainen pans out and the change of scenery works, I think the Flyers will be in extremely good shape. Because if he's a rock solid top 4 guy, their defense is going to be very good. And if their defense is very good, I think Hart will be very good. It's a big if to me, but I love mall's confidence in him.

2. I have to give props to Fletcher. He did a hell of a lot to change the team and didn't give up guys like Konecny or Sanheim. I thought he'd have to for sure to get a 1RD and he didn't. So, props to Fletcher.