• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1RD - done, 2RD -done. These were the biggest holes on our team. I wanted a better 2C to move Hayes to 3C. Hopefully Hayes can bounce back and Frost can play 3C. Todays team is already light years ahead of last years debacle. Although he overpaid on the Risto deal, he landed better players than anticipated. Risto doesn't have to be a 1D anymore and he pairs well as a 2D. He has the physical game we have been screaming for and can PK and PP. He has cut down on his bad penalties. Farabee, Laughton and TK no longer have to respond when other teams take liberties with our players.
We won't know the complete end result until we see this team play next season but you are dead on it can only be better. I remember watching Risto in the Flyer games and he fought hard but eventually they'd be overmatched and lose. It can't be all on one guy especially when the players around you stink. He also is physical which is what they need.

I like Jake but time for a change. Atkinson is solid. Save some cap good trade for both teams.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he got a lot of the blame because his stats sucked lol.
everyone sucked on that team, hence being overall first pick. Living in Sabre country I get to see a ton of Risto playing. Yes, he had plenty of bad games, but he was stuck on a team that has not mmm ave the playoffs for over a decade. Before judging him, how about keeping an open mind and giving him a shot? You may end up loving the guy? I have been on the Risto wagon for quite some time. I know what he can bring to this team. He is the physical hitting machine that many of us have been wanting to see.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone sucked on that team, hence being overall first pick. Living in Sabre country I get to see a ton of Risto playing. Yes, he had plenty of bad games, but he was stuck on a team that has not mmm ave the playoffs for over a decade. Before judging him, how about keeping an open mind and giving him a shot? You may end up loving the guy? I have been on the Risto wagon for quite some time. I know what he can bring to this team. He is the physical hitting machine that many of us have been wanting to see.
Yep agreed it can get demoralizing over time when the team consistently sucks. Last year they played Philly hard and I could see his true game. This is why when you brought him up I was fine with them going after him. There are only so many decent large RHD out there. Fresh start will do him some good in my opinion.

They also have to create some room for the young players to move up. York and Zamula may be a lot closer than people think and will hopefully be better all around than guys like Hagg and Ghost.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, is it $12M to sign Sanheim, Hart, and add FAs?
Roughly $8M to Sanheim/Hart?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep agreed it can get demoralizing over time when the team consistently sucks. Last year they played Philly hard and I could see his true game. This is why when you brought him up I was fine with them going after him. There are only so many decent large RHD out there. Fresh start will do him some good in my opinion.

They also have to create some room for the young players to move up. York and Zamula may be a lot closer than people think and will hopefully be better all around than guys like Hagg and Ghost.
Yup. I honestly think he will blossom well on this team.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the swap of Voracek for Atkinson. It adds a year of salary, but saves $2.375 million in each of the next 3 seasons to add another depth player. Also, Atkinson, while small, probably adds a bit more hustle and shot-first mentality than Voracek, who is definitely a playmaker.

$12.5 million left to sign RFA's Sanheim and Hart, a backup goalie and then depth at defense and/or center.

I saw where someone pointed out that everyone we've acquired in this offseason wore a letter for their team, so this is a leadership and accountability deal too. Last season's effort was clearly unacceptable.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I like the Atkinson for Voracek swap. Move the salary to a better fit for the Flyers. Can play the PK, brings more energy, bit of SH threat. Saves the money needed to sign a good backup goalie.

Absolutely overpaid for Ristolainen, but I think the changes to the roster are very good. Hopefully Ristolainen pans out on a better team in a better role.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like samu as well as our 2nd pick

I haven’t read a ton on him yet, but what I have read is that he can fly and shoot. Boom or bust pick.

Perfect.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, is it $12M to sign Sanheim, Hart, and add FAs?
Roughly $8M to Sanheim/Hart?

Would expect most of the leftover to go to a backup goalie, but they could still add a 4th line winger maybe?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll def give him a chance, problem I have is shitty team or not that was a healthy price to pay for an unproven player. It's only one season so making an impact will be on him, we'll see how he does.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I like the Atkinson for Voracek swap. Move the salary to a better fit for the Flyers. Can play the PK, brings more energy, bit of SH threat. Saves the money needed to sign a good backup goalie.

Absolutely overpaid for Ristolainen, but I think the changes to the roster are very good. Hopefully Ristolainen pans out on a better team in a better role.
I wonder who decides the price for a big mobile RHD? Perhaps its a bunch of teams bidding on him or the mob? This comment cracks me up like people actually know what is a proper price when teams need one and they are hard to get. Is he that much worse than Jones who they had to lock up for years at 9 M? I'm talking about almost half the salary next season and they have the option of deciding if they even want him longer whereas a guy like OEL was not. People need a reality check....seriously.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Voracek did a lot for this team over the years and I thank him for that, but last season he sort of hit rock bottom with us by many measures. His ice time and power play production were the lowest since his first season with us and he was arguably our second worst defensive forward (-12). I understand only 53 games, but just 8 power play assists? Only 9 goals all season long? That's terrible for him.

A change of scenery could wake him up a bit and the same goes for Cam Atkinson. This could definitely be a trade that works for both teams.

Regardless, the $2.375 million we save will be used to sign or acquire another depth player that we will definitely need over the course of a full season and playoff run.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder who decides the price for a big mobile RHD? Perhaps its a bunch of teams bidding on him or the mob? This comment cracks me up like people actually know what is a proper price when teams need one and they are hard to get. Is he that much worse than Jones who they had to lock up for years at 9 M? I'm talking about almost half the salary next season and they have the option of deciding if they even want him longer whereas a guy like OEL was not. People need a reality check....seriously.

I mean, advanced stats wise he’s one of the worst dmen in hockey. And everyone on the Sabres had worse numbers playing with him than they did without him.

I like taking a flier on him. Different role, different team, exactly the right kind of player for the Flyers. Hopefully he flourishes. If the price paid is what it took, fine. You have to pay the prices out there if you want to change the team. But in terms of value, that was an overpay. It sucks that other teams were lining up to overpay also. It’s a crap shoot of a draft due to scouting restrictions, so that decreases the value of a normal 1st round pick. I’m fine with it.

And I actually like the rental aspect of it. If I were Chicago I sure as heck would’ve preferred renting Jones to that monstrosity they gave him. They Flyers are not tied in to something crazy like Jones/OEL. Fletcher did everything he could to avoid free agency and I think that’s smart cap management. Any prized FA is a contract regretted these days.