• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Offseason

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen some Tweets from reputable sources that they aren't going to swing big with a trade because Russell doesn't have much of market right now. Maybe that changes at the deadline when teams have an idea of how their season is going and decide to freefall with the '25 draft.

But, they make some minor moves this summer....and it needs to happen sooner than later IMO.

The idea that Russell's value will climb has been disproven twice now (last year's deadline and this summer). He's an expiring now or Feb, that value is constant.

If the Lakers make moves to clear space to add Trent via the TPMLE, they are capped at the 2nd apron (and lose some trade pieces that might be needed later to make the money work in a trade). If they add only vet mins, they are not and can surpass that number (but then can't aggregate salaries for trades). Acting like they are done on July 11th when the first preseason game is 3 months away is just being impatient.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had them both healthy the last two years in the playoffs, just don't match up well with Denver.
Bad matchup.

But, losing Brown and KCP in back to back offseasons hurts. Jackson not so much but he had his moments this past season and was a solid rotation player.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that Russell's value will climb has been disproven twice now (last year's deadline and this summer). He's an expiring now or Feb, that value is constant.

If the Lakers make moves to clear space to add Trent via the TPMLE, they are capped at the 2nd apron (and lose some trade pieces that might be needed later to make the money work in a trade). If they add only vet mins, they are not and can surpass that number (but then can't aggregate salaries for trades). Acting like they are done on July 11th when the first preseason game is 3 months away is just being impatient.
So if that is your story how are they supposed to swing a blockbuster trade this offseason?

Russell will be an expiring contract at the deadline. Those have value. Almost 19 mill in cap space.

They may be willing to add Hach. Or Vanderbilt.

And Vincent if he comes back and shows last season was a fluke....2 years and 22 mill is less than the MLE. And if he plays like Miami Gabe he can help a team.

Plus 3 1st rounders.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it’s the gravity of players more than scheme that gets players shots.
Both definitely impact the offense. A coach that emphasizes ball and player movement, frequent screen setting can help catch and shoot players get in grooves. Teamwork and ball movement is key. Not saying they didn't have that but different things can be pushed to create a more dynamic offense OR like I said, this is just a personnel issue with the two small guards and two non-shooting bigs.

I think in any scenario if Mobley does not develop none of it matters.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both definitely impact the offense. A coach that emphasizes ball and player movement, frequent screen setting can help catch and shoot players get in grooves. Teamwork and ball movement is key. Not saying they didn't have that but different things can be pushed to create a more dynamic offense OR like I said, this is just a personnel issue with the two small guards and two non-shooting bigs.

Bickerstaff is probably better suited to coaching a younger team....

Atkinson is a veteran coach who is probably better coaching your current Cavs squad.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I agree. Mobley needs to be special for the Cavs to take the needed step.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having said that, the kid can defend and rebound really well. And he has some scoring ability.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if that is your story how are they supposed to swing a blockbuster trade this offseason?

Russell will be an expiring contract at the deadline. Those have value. Almost 19 mill in cap space.

They may be willing to add Hach. Or Vanderbilt.

And Vincent if he comes back and shows last season was a fluke....2 years and 22 mill is less than the MLE. And if he plays like Miami Gabe he can help a team.

Plus 3 1st rounders.

2 firsts, unless you're counting Knecht as the 3rd.

I'm saying there are options, different ways to approach the end result. They may not complete a sizeable trade before the season starts, but I don't think they have decided not to. Even if they are putting that out there, that may be posturing to try to regain some leverage.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into his 4th year at age 23, he's going to need to take that step soon if ever. Trying to extend him right now is act of faith.
I'd say he deserves it as much as the others from his class who got max deals.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt the Lakers will not be making anymore trades or player transactions this summer. Maybe DRuss will buy-in to Redick's system and turn his game around to actually be the player the Lakers always believed he would be. I would speculate that he recovers his imagined game, learns to play defense, and ends-up becoming a fixture for the Lakers going forward. If he doesn't, then he will be moved at or near the deadline as an expiring contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it's how the NBA is if you don't follow. Players like Mobley get max rookie extensions. Often lesser than him.

There's not a lot of top echelon rookies in that draft class is my point. Cade/Scottie/Franz at the top. Do you have Mobley in that mix, or more with guys like Sengun/Murphy/Kuminga?