• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to get political, but I think that many things in America are becoming things for people with a shit load of disposable income. Since the 80s there has been an ever growing divide between the "haves" and "have nots." The causes and solutions for that are a conversation for the politics forum, but I don't think there is any denying that the middle class of our parent's generation (well, at least my parents as they were born in the 50s) is no longer present in America.

If they want to promote the next generation of fans, I think they need to promote baseball more at the youth level. I don't know what that would look like, but I've worked with a number of immigrants who all think baseball is the most boring sport on Earth and if I hadn't grown up playing it, playing catch with my dad, etc. I would probably feel the same way. I mean that's how I personally feel about soccer.

Sadly I don't think a country throwing a shit load of cash at MLB would lead to a decrease in the expense of attending a game. Franchises would just look at it as additional profit and I don't think out of charity they'd make it more affordable for families to attend a game. Perhaps that's just my pessimism.
I’m not necessarily saying throwing money at it will made stuff cheaper for fans, but it could offset and not completely cut out fans. Even back when I was a kid games were more expensive if the Mariners or Sonics played a legit team or had a player.

To your first part, I think this is where an influx of cash could help. By the end of the 90’s it cost a crap load of money for travel, uniforms, equipments etc but more importantly for middle income or single parent households, time consuming. No idea how to fix those 2, IMO, big issues. The Mariners essentially built our local baseball complex when I was a kid, which helped a lot, but within a generation it went back to being expensive for the little league to rent out the complex and scheduling conflicts with little league and the select baseball and fast pitch teams in the area. 2 biggest parts IMO, of falling and staying in love with baseball is having the people and a place to play baseball. Which is hard as hell in rural, urban or the suburbs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha I have been to that exact In n Out many times on the corner just outside the stadium !!

And that sports bar opposite side of the street and closer to the stadium

150 double animals !! hahaha
We lived 20 minutes to the west of it and drove there weekly for 8 years at 83rd and Bell. The month after we moved back to WA they put one in 5 minutes from our house....lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!!

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been hittin' seeds all over the ballparks all spring. What a game changer he could be with his base path speed if he hits well enough to break into the top 5 of our line up.

How I would love to see a Julio - Kelenic 1-2 punch at the start of every game !! The 2nd baseman would be at a huge dissadvantage with Julio on 1st and having to play double play depth on Kelenic ( LH hitter ). Kelenic would get an extra 20 hits a season to the right side of the infield simply because of that 1 point of the 2nd baseman at double play depth and favoring 2 bag. So much open space for a hard hit ground ball to get thru on the right side of the infield. Then you have runners at 1st and 3rd in the 1st inning with NOBODY out ! One can only dream ............. :think:

Wong belongs in the #9 spot from what I am seeing this spring as far as hitting - obp - base path speed etc etc. That way he is lead off guy by default once the line up rolls over after the few innings.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not necessarily saying throwing money at it will made stuff cheaper for fans, but it could offset and not completely cut out fans. Even back when I was a kid games were more expensive if the Mariners or Sonics played a legit team or had a player.

To your first part, I think this is where an influx of cash could help. By the end of the 90’s it cost a crap load of money for travel, uniforms, equipments etc but more importantly for middle income or single parent households, time consuming. No idea how to fix those 2, IMO, big issues. The Mariners essentially built our local baseball complex when I was a kid, which helped a lot, but within a generation it went back to being expensive for the little league to rent out the complex and scheduling conflicts with little league and the select baseball and fast pitch teams in the area. 2 biggest parts IMO, of falling and staying in love with baseball is having the people and a place to play baseball. Which is hard as hell in rural, urban or the suburbs.
Here's an idea that could possibly end up in a net-profit loss, but make tickets for children under the age of 13 free in every section. That would help families a lot. Would never happen but if implemented across major league baseball I think would increase youth interest in baseball.

I don't know what the expenses look like to play baseball in a youth league look like these days, but I grew up in a low income family and was essentially raised by my mother after the 5th grade and she was able to afford for me to be able to play. I happened to speak to her right after reading this post and asked her how much she spent and she couldn't remember but doesn't think it was more than $150 or so. This was early 2000s, but it wasn't too expensive. I grew up in Renton and the sites we would play at were baseball fields at local schools. The coaches provided a lot of the equipment so that wasn't something we needed to purchase.

It probably varies by location but I remember we played a lot of games coincidentally at the elementary school I went to. In retrospect I'm now wondering how much of it was essentially the coaches/manager covering a lot of the costs and volunteer umpires.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kelenic is able to produce even 80% of the stat line thru the 1st 6-8 weeks of the regular season, and the fact HOU has lost Altuve for at least 6-8 weeks ( likely longer ). The Mariners have a great shot at being the new sheriff in town in the AL west.

Obvious all is conditional upon our SP being successful and our pen holding their own. And our lineup posting a consistent minimum of 4-5 runs each and every game.

I am not a fan of France being our everyday 1b and I am not a fan of the DH by committee. But you don't always get what you want.

I am glad we have LAA for 3 games right after a 4 game set with CLE. That way if we split 2-2 with the Tribe we can still win the home series nabbing 2 of 3 vs the Halos.

Or start the season with a 12 game winning streak to honor last season !!
I'm trying to temper my optimism but I think you're right.

I have a lot of faith in our rotation and the depth we have in case there's an injury. If you look at it like this, there's reason to believe we could have one of the best rotations in baseball and definitely the deepest:

- Luis Castillo: Ace with no reason to expect regression.
- Robbie Ray: Apparently his velocity is back where it was when he won the Cy Young, so I'd expect a better season from him this year.
- Logan Gilbert: Young and seemingly hasn't even tapped his full potential yet.
- George Kirby: Had a great rookie year despite being somewhat rushed up and I expect to improve.
- Marco Gonzales: Would be a #3 in a lot of rotations.
- Chris Flexen: See above.
- Matt Brash: It's a shame with his stuff that he's relegated to the bullpen. I think he has the stuff to be a legit starter.

My bigger concern is the lineup/possible injuries.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an idea that could possibly end up in a net-profit loss, but make tickets for children under the age of 13 free in every section. That would help families a lot. Would never happen but if implemented across major league baseball I think would increase youth interest in baseball.

I don't know what the expenses look like to play baseball in a youth league look like these days, but I grew up in a low income family and was essentially raised by my mother after the 5th grade and she was able to afford for me to be able to play. I happened to speak to her right after reading this post and asked her how much she spent and she couldn't remember but doesn't think it was more than $150 or so. This was early 2000s, but it wasn't too expensive. I grew up in Renton and the sites we would play at were baseball fields at local schools. The coaches provided a lot of the equipment so that wasn't something we needed to purchase.

It probably varies by location but I remember we played a lot of games coincidentally at the elementary school I went to. In retrospect I'm now wondering how much of it was essentially the coaches/manager covering a lot of the costs and volunteer umpires.
I really like your first idea. While I in general like the whole little league day, I personally like it better how the Rainiers do it where they send discounts to all individual school districts, not just kids who are already playing baseball. I know we have talked about this before but the Mariners or any non NFL team should want massive discounts for families cause if a dad is bringing multiple kids to the game he is going to have to spend money on merchandise plus the cut they get from vendors.

I played in the late 90’s and that seems about right just for the league. But if you get to a certain level, you got to travel all over and play better teams in which tournaments (at least they used to) have different bat requirements depending, had to have multiple uniforms plus money for meals. I guess just depends on the levels, but either way IMO it was always the time consumption. I got 3 kids and it is hard as hell trying to get to all the pickup times so no idea how my parents pulled it off until my younger brother jumped up levels to where he was on my team.

Your last part I think is something to look into how much of it was volunteer based. I still think the umps are volunteers, but and for the little league I think it is voluntary, but all the clinics and stuff they want them to attend aren’t. Which is kind of money plus time. No idea how to fix it or make it better. I think having Julio should have a very positive effect on local baseball though because Griffey did

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've always..thought..that..the.impact..of..
Local .sports teams ..was..important.
To kids..
Are you saying..kids..tickets..should be.
20pct..off...

There are organizations willing to give for such projects..if presented..
Sometimes..a tax write-off..sometimes not...
A thing..I talked to Marcus trufant..
About..once..in the long..long ago..
Lolo

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Communism..has no compatition..
That is.why...
They only.know..how.to.take..orders..
Not win..
Or are they compelled..to win..
Just take orders...

Why India..kiks..china but..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Putin..is losing .in Ukraine..
His solgers..have.a problem..
With it..
Not whithstanding..they..still must take orders..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In free zone..they take the ball..
And run with it..
Cuz they want..to win..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00