• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said I don't think it would ever happen, but allowing kids in free I think would be a great thing to help build life long fans and would be a erase a barrier for a lot of lower/middle income families to attend games. As to your second point, I'm also in complete agreement. For years a friend of mine worked for the Mariners and they'd give him club level seats for free all the time. For whatever reason I seemed to be the only one interested - he wasn't a close friend of mine, just someone who was in my frat, so it's not like he was doing it because he liked me a ton - and he'd sell me all four for $5 a pop when those tickets normally cost like $70 each. As a result I'd still end up spending a ton on food, alcohol, etc. so just getting me in the door ended up in me spending money I wouldn't have otherwise spent. Shit I wish he still worked for the Mariners because back then I'd be going to multiple games a week.

You're right about the expenses when you get to a certain level the cost gets higher. I was mostly focusing on the 8th grade and under level because I didn't play beyond that. Quite honestly I was pretty mediocre and never even bothered trying to play in high school and just focused on playing football which I was pretty good at.

Good point on Julio. I think having those young role models who make baseball cool is a crucial point. This is pretty ironic considering I'm such a big baseball fan, but I always felt playing the game was boring - maybe that's because "mediocre" is an understatement of my baseball skills - and I think mostly found interest in it because I was always trying to emulate the Seattle baseball stars I looked up to. Loved taking BP though, lol.
The Rainiers do an amazing job of getting people into the park no matter one, then squeeze the money out.

I’m not trying to say youth baseball is super expensive but just to me there is a huge difference between boys playing rec ball versus actual leagues. Recs were like once a week that you pay your one time fee as opposed to multiple practices a week to get your kids too then the fees for tournaments plus equipment. I may be wrong or way off, but I just feel it is too much money/time for kids nowadays to keep their energy into middle school then high school let alone then try to attend baseball games.

Julio I hope is going to be good for the sport. Griffey changed the entire area when I was a kid. Sadly I think because Ichiro didn’t fulfill that role and Felix only pitched every 5 days.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Larson seems on the depth chart .but not the 40..
Man..what's....up with that.

I'm ok if jack made the team.
He has been around a long.
Time but.ive seen .
Nothing..

Jack Larson..undrafted..
Out of u..of..sandiego..
Awesome..outfielder there..
Yes..he was..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe 40 has not been updated..
Cuz.
Ohh hummel..is outfield..
Seems 39..on.the 40..
Right now..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know we live and thrive..
Down in the hood..
everyday..
so..we play..
WE woulda..
we coulda...
darn Shure..shoulda..

but... Really..my wooda..
my wooda.....
OHhh my flying wooda
all down..in hooda..

big man tall man..had a plan..
take his flying..wooda..
on the road...
so he jacked..a ..ball..and his wooda .flew....
you know..what..to..do...

a wooda...a wooda..ohhhh my flying..wooda..my flying wooda that came from .the hooda..
taking a tour....
round the world...for gooda...
lolololo..
yeah..course. delorus..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coulda woulda shoulda in the hooda.
Blasting blazer...
Fast as laser.
With a faser..
Coulda..
Shoulda..
Woulda..
Had more..
But..
Floor..
And..
Door..
Had a score..
Hot rod..
At the shore
Awooda..awooda
Ohhhh my flying....wooda..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strait angle..finagle....
Hot rod.job..
Down in the hooda..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a cougar..
Taken a.
Snoozer..
No one likes.
A looser.
So chooser.
Rendezvouser..
in a cruser..
A wooda..awooda..ohhhh my flying..wooda..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strait angle tangle....
Down at 5 and diamond.
A nickle and a dimeing..
We style .ryming

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners:

7 - Julio
37- Castillo
91- Kirby
98- Gilbert
99- Teoscar

Better than most teams I am certain.

We have a talented roster.

Just need some lady luck ... by most everyone staying healthy and putting up career normal numbers.

I expect our end of season record at 92 wins and 70 losses.
If Kelenic gets 475+ at bats and hits .270 or higher add 5 wins so 97 wins.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be the precursor to me throwing a fit if they don't spend a bunch of money in free agency next year. If anything this is even more reason to be upset about the offseason we had this year when per Divish it sounds like the Mariners had initial conversations with the top free agents and determined that they didn't want to pay what was necessary to land them.
I'm quoting myself here, but this thought hit me today:

If ownership doesn't spend a bunch in free agency next year, they'll internally justify it with the fact that they spent a decent amount (idk how much) on stadium upgrades for the All-Star game. I also think they now technically own the space that was formerly occupied by Pyramid Brewery across the street (I could be wrong on this), which also represents a significant real estate investment. I know that these will result in increased revenue (the new press box suites, whatever income is derived from the property across the street), etc. But I have a bad feeling they'll just focus on retaining current talent without adding via free agency.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than most teams I am certain.

We have a talented roster.

Just need some lady luck ... by most everyone staying healthy and putting up career normal numbers.

I expect our end of season record at 92 wins and 70 losses.
If Kelenic gets 475+ at bats and hits .270 or higher add 5 wins so 97 wins.
I saw two projections recently and both had Seattle under 90 wins. ZIPS at 85 wins and PECOTA at 82.9 wins and 3rd in the division.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rainiers do an amazing job of getting people into the park no matter one, then squeeze the money out.

I’m not trying to say youth baseball is super expensive but just to me there is a huge difference between boys playing rec ball versus actual leagues. Recs were like once a week that you pay your one time fee as opposed to multiple practices a week to get your kids too then the fees for tournaments plus equipment. I may be wrong or way off, but I just feel it is too much money/time for kids nowadays to keep their energy into middle school then high school let alone then try to attend baseball games.

Julio I hope is going to be good for the sport. Griffey changed the entire area when I was a kid. Sadly I think because Ichiro didn’t fulfill that role and Felix only pitched every 5 days.
I'm sad to admit I've never been to a Rainier's game, huge hassle for me to go that far south.

You would probably know more than I would at this point about youth baseball as you have children and I don't.

I don't want to jinx it but I really think that Julio will become a superstar. From a marketing prospective, he's everything you could dream for. Exciting player, loves the game, megawatt smile. One thing that'll be interesting to monitor is how often he attempts steals. He has the speed to steal 40 bags, and with the bases expanding I think he has a strong possibility at a 40/40 season if he plays all year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how much I bitch about the Mariners, opening day is always like Christmas and I can convince myself this is the year to win it all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sad to admit I've never been to a Rainier's game, huge hassle for me to go that far south.

You would probably know more than I would at this point about youth baseball as you have children and I don't.

I don't want to jinx it but I really think that Julio will become a superstar. From a marketing prospective, he's everything you could dream for. Exciting player, loves the game, megawatt smile. One thing that'll be interesting to monitor is how often he attempts steals. He has the speed to steal 40 bags, and with the bases expanding I think he has a strong possibility at a 40/40 season if he plays all year.
I highly suggest getting a group of friends and head down to a game if the weather is nice. It’s a great little stadium, but the only thing about the Rainiers games are is can convince yourself X player is going to be a star if given a chance, especially if anyone goes through my track record.

With youth baseball I won’t pretend to be an expert, just going from my personal experience. Maybe urban little leagues and other youth baseball is cheaper. I just want young kids to fall in love with baseball and would love any way possible for it to happen.

I really like that Julio has worked his tail off on learning English. He has the ability for 40/40 but I have reservations about him trying to be that player. Every season in his professional career he has missed time due to injury. Not saying I don’t want him stealing I would just prefer him in RF if he is going to do it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3