• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MQOs went out today, of note Nameplate and McEwen were not tendered.

Doesn't mean they can't sign in LA but they are officially UFAs at midnight. They had arbitration rights which could have screwed the Kings considering their precarious cap situation so they opted not to tender them at all.

The expected ones were (Fagemo, Bjornfot, etc) so let the negotiating begin. The interesting one to me was Akil Thomas, he was qualified. He was a 2nd round pick in 2018 and has never played an NHL game and is constantly injured.

I'm assuming he provides some leadership and depth at the AHL level, which is decimated as is too, which is why he was qualified.

Anyone seen him in person and can provide some insight?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, Ottawa needed a goalie and just signed Korpisalo 5 years$20 million.

No way LA could have afforded that at all.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, Ottawa needed a goalie and just signed Korpisalo 5 years$20 million.

No way LA could have afforded that at all.
No, thats why i think they bank on next fa or trade at that time. Talbot is solid, but old too

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry
I have had a cold the last few days and didn’t hide Blake’s phone like normal on July 1st
At least all these deals can be hidden in Ontario when they don’t work out

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fillers, about what you would expect ...good to have a guy that drops the gloves, not sure why not lucic type but oh well

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea but you have to guess around $3 million. His current deal was 1 year/$1.3 million and he is due a raise based on how he played. Can't see him taking less than that unless he bets on himself on another 1 year deal like so many players seem to be doing now and hopes to cash in on a longer term/higher value deal next summer when the cap goes up a lot more.

However it's a flooded market with goalies this summer, so unless someone is very interested in him it'll be tough to get that especially with only so many spots available.
Here’s your answer.

• The breakdown of the deal: $4 million in 2023-24, $5 million in 2024-25, $4.5 million in 2025-26, $3.5 million in 2026-27 and $3 million in 2027-28.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fillers, about what you would expect ...good to have a guy that drops the gloves, not sure why not lucic type but oh well

Watch Taylor Ward, signed for Ontario but could be a part of the B6. Physical winger, will throw hands - wouldn't be surprised to see him in LA this season at some point. Englund will drop them too.

The Kings have been pushovers for too long, glad to see the size issue being addressed a bit with these signings and draft picks.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And finally the goalie signing.

He was a flop last year, that’s why the Senators let him go. Why oh why, does Blake think this year will be any different?

He had a solid/decent 3 years prior to last season, plus looking at the money issue they were priced out of Jarry or keeping Korpisalo (my preference). He's 36 but hopefully he can rebound, if not the Kings are in trouble if he falls off a cliff like Quick did so rapidly. It's just me but I don't have 100% faith in Copley carrying the load.

Plus there is familiarity with McLellan, he had him in Edmonton when he was the hear coach there so I'm sure he had some input for Bowlby.

Risky proposition going with Copley and Talbot but that's what happens when you mismanage the cap and draft players who do not pan out, having to spend additional assets to fix the mistakes you made in the first place.

The Kings will not roll with 23 players this season, they can't afford it.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the team more this season over last, but still 2 massive elephants in the room are Buster/kaliyev/Clarke/Spencer (can like 1 of these guys make the jump successfully?) and of course goal tending....this wont get better than last year, hopefully its good enough to win.

1for a team that supposedly had lots of prospect depth, i think the kings are 1 key injury away from a loosing season

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the team more this season over last, but still 2 massive elephants in the room are Buster/kaliyev/Clarke/Spencer (can like 1 of these guys make the jump successfully?) and of course goal tending....this wont get better than last year, hopefully its good enough to win.

1for a team that supposedly had lots of prospect depth, i think the kings are 1 key injury away from a loosing season

There's definitely more strength down the middle, going back to Dumbo this was a pillar of his but his plan was build from the net out. He had Quick and Kopitar already, then drafted Doughty, filled in gaps with Stoll, Richards, Carter, etc. If I remember correctly the 2012 Cup team had Kopitar, Richards, Stoll and Fraser/Lewis as the 4 centers.

But as you said, it's weakened other areas, specifically depth. I clowned Vegas last year when they couldn't field a full team because of cap compliance yet here we are as well as Kings fans. I have no problem with teams being capped out if it leads to a Cup or at the very least a SCF appearance. This...I don't know what to think. There are some talented pieces but it sure doesn't feel like a Cup contender to me.

And agree 100%, these prospects need to take the next step and start delivering. Buster specifically but Kaliyev too, he has had plenty of opportunity up and down the lineup, PP time, he needs to become a consistent contributor on this team. A year from now if these two don't show significant improvement - and I mean statistically - there is a very serious problem and they should be officially open to shopping them.

Spence/Clarke, one of them will be on the opening night roster as 3RD and I expect Bjornfot or Englund to be the 3LD. Bjornfot has 100+ NHL games under his belt and would be paired with one of these two, while Englund is a solid 3D with some bite (which I would prefer).

If Bjornfot fails to make the team, again, drafting and developing need to be overhauled. Dude was a 22nd overall in 2019, that draft class is looking more and more shitty as time has gone by. Yannetti should not escape culpability, he props every prospect up like they're all top 10.

Way too many prospects not working out at the NHL level forcing these outside organizational moves.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This feels like a "See what we have" year with the young guys. I think Talbot is a good signing for the price, but the key is being "for the price". Copley saved the season last year, but I really don't trust him to not regress to his mean. I'd predict a 60-40 with Talbot in the lead all year. Kings should be a playoff team, and if they aren't, then McLellan and maybe more are gone in my opinion. But the Kings are going to run their young guys and see if any of them can take that next step. We all know the guys who need to take a step up, and really just 1-2 of them would make a crazy difference. This feels like Muzzin 2013. Maybe rough for bit, but maybe we see some real growth, and maybe it pays off in a year or two. Then with LA hopefully filling some depth from within, they will address their goaltending next offseason and could join that true contender tier.

It looks to me like Blake saw this young center available in PLD, and just had to transition plans to accommodate getting him. Florida traded Huberdeau coming off a monster season and seems to have extended Florida's window for awhile.

I don't think it's all bad by any stretch, but this team might have to take step back in order to take a step forward. Full season of Gavrikov, Clarke and maybe Spence coming in. Hopefully Byfield can throw on some weight this summer and fill out his frame/develop his game a little. Kaliyev maybe do something being with a strong center. Turcotte maybe going the 5 year Vilardi route with his health. Kopitar money coming down next season, cap going up etc. But cap is also going up for Edmonton/Vegas et al. so all major competition is also going to get tougher.

We shall see. At the end of the day I think Blake looked at the team and just didn't think it could overcome Vegas or Edmonton as it was constructed last year, so in that sense you have to just sort of be grateful he was willing to attempt to chase a championship. I don't think this team this year is entirely off, but I think realistically, I hope we are sitting here next year looking a team we could argue has a chance at winning a cup, which, with Copley and Talbot, I don't think is realistic for this year.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with wait and see is the pieces that where solid have a chance to break or wear down. Its a fragile balance to success and having your vets (Kopistar, Doughboy) take up your cap and then having to wait and see on your crown prospects as they erase their cheap years "learning to play pro" kills franchises and sets them back over and over. Sure you can have some success, but you want to win on the upswing of $$$ on top youth, not keep juggling after they've been paid and not won a thing (Leafs, Mcjesuses) and hope something clicks

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've heard the grumblings the last several years, dude is tired of losing. Two high profile signings in Killorn and Gudas and not even 2 days later he wants out.

I think he's a good goalie, but the poor guy has been shelled the last 4 years. At his age I think he wants to win. I remember that 2014 series, he played well but LA was just too overpowering.

The contract and age scares me, but if the Kings could make it happen may be an option if they plan on making a serious run next year. Alternative to Hellebuyck, may even drive his price down now that there's another chip in the market.

Question is would Anaheim trade him to a division rival?