• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Roenick going off on PLD. Saying he'd better live up to his contract because so far, he's done nothing but whine and complain his whole career, despite his immense talent.
That’s not very encouraging to me. He might be a great player and a great pain in the ass.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok one last thing before I jump off.
If PLD flames out and doesn’t live up to his potential or starts bitching about wanting out, will Blake remain as GM?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok one last thing before I jump off.
If PLD flames out and doesn’t live up to his potential or starts bitching about wanting out, will Blake remain as GM?

I would have to ask what a flame out would be. Im not expecting more than what he has done so far....~25g 60p hits some, solid both ends....but hes done that even when complaining. I could be wrong but looking at his compete level maybe thats what he wanted from his team...i really dont know and should look it up instead of guessing haha

I kinda hope he can improve some as he heads toward his 30s, but im not expecting much more.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, but really the only thing thats held him back was his own health. Its not like there was much in front of him that wouldnt have been moved out of his way if he could actually suit up. If he even plays a game in the Pegged i bet he becomes a problem.

It's a disappointing end to his time in LA, I was hoping he would be a part of a new core moving forward when he was drafted.

The Kings knew about his back though and still drafted him so they need to take some responsibility as well. It's not like his back was unknown to anyone, it was part of his scouting report as was his below average skating. But the other skills and tools could have made up for it and they took that risk.

It didn't pan out, contracts were constantly coming up, guys were becoming Waivers exempt (like Kupari, JAD, etc) and it was best to move one of the most valuable pieces to fill a need elsewhere and maybe not lose a bunch of guys for nothing.

Seems like prospect mismanagement to me as well as guys like Vilardi running out of time on their own accord, not being able to seize opportunities.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Roenick going off on PLD. Saying he'd better live up to his contract because so far, he's done nothing but whine and complain his whole career, despite his immense talent.

Says the dude who complained about his skates when he was in LA and self admitted he sand bagged it his one season in LA after he left for SJ.

=)~~

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also of important note, the legend Swears his back is perfectly fine and has been..... But he still misses a lot of time

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wouldn't be cleared to play if it wasn't medically stable, but i ts always a concern.

If you watch that spill he took late in the season that caused him to miss like 15-20 games down the stretch before the POs, sure looked like a back/neck injury to me. I remember reading on Teh Blog when asked specifically about it he dodged the question.

He was under the classic "UBI" code, the Kings didn't even disclose it. It'll always be a concern for him.

If you go to Cap Friendly and pull him up, click the Injuries tab and his reads like a CVS receipt.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings got on the board today, 2nd round/54th overall:

Jakub Dvorak
LHD
5/25/05
6'5"/210
Liberec

Pronman analysis from The Athletic:

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Poor
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Background: Dvorak is a player with a lot of medical questions. He’s had two operations this season on his clavicle and has had other injury issues in recent seasons that has limited how much hockey he’s played. When healthy, he’s been a top defenseman in his age group and a leader on the Czech ’05s wearing the captain’s “C” for that team.

Analysis: Dvorak was having a strong season up until a broken clavicle kept him out for a few months, including missing the world juniors. His offensive totals don’t jump out at you, but Dvorak is a solid two-way defenseman. He’s a big, smart defender who makes a lot of stops due to his reach, brain and work ethic. He’s not a punishing physical player, but Dvorak doesn’t shy from using his body and gives a strong effort defensively. He can pass pucks up ice well, but his pure skill/speed doesn’t stand out from a puck-transporting perspective. He’s a boring good player, and a potential late first-round type of player, if healthy, which is the biggest “if” currently with Dvorak.

So basically he's another project, has injury history and not that great a skater. Sounds like a combination of Buster and The Legend.

I guess if he doesn't turn into another Maxim Kuznetsov (anyone remember his first shift in LA after he was traded from Detroit in the Schneider deal in 2003? Dude went behind the net and stepped on the puck, lost his footing, puck squirted out front and ended up in the net. Precursor of how things would go with that guy in LA) the Kings will flip him in 2029 for a high end 25 year old defender.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not too shocking but Kings likely signing a $1-1.5 mil/year goalie. I think they go big next off-season but for this year they are just going to run Copley and a backup.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what the asking price is for Korpisalo?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what the asking price is for Korpisalo?

No idea but you have to guess around $3 million. His current deal was 1 year/$1.3 million and he is due a raise based on how he played. Can't see him taking less than that unless he bets on himself on another 1 year deal like so many players seem to be doing now and hopes to cash in on a longer term/higher value deal next summer when the cap goes up a lot more.

However it's a flooded market with goalies this summer, so unless someone is very interested in him it'll be tough to get that especially with only so many spots available.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea but you have to guess around $3 million. His current deal was 1 year/$1.3 million and he is due a raise based on how he played. Can't see him taking less than that unless he bets on himself on another 1 year deal like so many players seem to be doing now and hopes to cash in on a longer term/higher value deal next summer when the cap goes up a lot more.

However it's a flooded market with goalies this summer, so unless someone is very interested in him it'll be tough to get that especially with only so many spots available.

This is a possibility though. If the cap is supposed to go up, which people who know what they're talking seem to think it will, guys might take shorter deals this year in order to get paid more next year. The Hockey Guy on YouTube was saying this is the final season the NHL will be paying off the Covid debts, otherwise it would've gone up this year already. Based on revenue, he thinks it'll jump as much as $5mil next year. And the "goalie carousel" is real in hockey now. There's sort of a glut of same guys in certain tiers. And Knights basically just showed you can play a certain type of game and get it done. Colorado a little bit before that with a pretty replaceable goalie 3 years in a row. I'm sort of older school in thinking you need a good goalie but the current game seems like you can maybe overcome it.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe i miss remember, but i seem to remember Fox and Miller talking about favorite places to eat in different cities....they got to Winnipeg and they both said room service.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im probably in the minority, but if Copely some how plays solid and Kings get to PO...i think you give him his shot. Next season they gonna do something no matter what anyway.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im probably in the minority, but if Copely some how plays solid and Kings get to PO...i think you give him his shot. Next season they gonna do something no matter what anyway.

Copley is a great story but man no matter how many wins he got last season I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. It did in his spot duty against Edmonton, that glove and a whiff...there it was. Korpisalo was absolutely the right call in that series no matter what Copley's contributions were. He looked unnerved.

Yes he got 24 wins and saved the season - let's be real, at the rate LA was bleeding goals they'd be looking at a T10 draft pick this week not a PO series - but he is not a legitimate starter. The Kings' defensive metrics were very good, and Copley is serviceable but a step below other low cost options like Hill and Broissoit for example who have been career backups. Proof that you can win with an average goalie and a specific defensive system but not one I would bank a season on.

The Kings have really painted themselves into a corner cap wise, they are a top loaded team now. They absolutely need a rock in net but without further depleting the lineup I don't see it happening.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copley is a great story but man no matter how many wins he got last season I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. It did in his spot duty against Edmonton, that glove and a whiff...there it was. Korpisalo was absolutely the right call in that series no matter what Copley's contributions were. He looked unnerved.

Yes he got 24 wins and saved the season - let's be real, at the rate LA was bleeding goals they'd be looking at a T10 draft pick this week not a PO series - but he is not a legitimate starter. The Kings' defensive metrics were very good, and Copley is serviceable but a step below other low cost options like Hill and Broissoit for example who have been career backups. Proof that you can win with an average goalie and a specific defensive system but not one I would bank a season on.

The Kings have really painted themselves into a corner cap wise, they are a top loaded team now. They absolutely need a rock in net but without further depleting the lineup I don't see it happening.
The only thing I can see is getting rid of Arvidson to free us his $4.2m and hope that we can get a goalie and hope the kids step in to fill in the roster.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that wheeler was bought out by the jets.... I'm guessing him being an ass As captain Played into somebody wanting to leave....

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I generally agree with this. Unfortunately Korpisalo Did not get us out of the first round. Whether blown out or tough loss Doesn't make a whole lot of difference. To me the moves I see. The kings are really banking on The season after this next one. Seeing if the kids can actually step up, kopistar money coming off, Cap going up And the king's goalie situation exactly as it was heading into Trade deadline Tells me they don't think they're ready to win.

If you don't think you're ready to win, why not just give him the chance to do it, Replacing him didn't work out last season. Let him sink and get your guy after next year..... I think the players and teammates would appreciate that more

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that wheeler was bought out by the jets.... I'm guessing him being an ass As captain Played into somebody wanting to leave....

Winnipeg has a massive culture issue in that locker room. They had a very good core for years but completely underachieved, Bowness calls them out on the loser mentality and Wheeler went public saying he could have said that privately to us. I'm pretty sure he did for 82 games and then some buddy.

Wheeler was a good player at one point, but the toxicity prevalent in that organization is what gives PLD a little bit of a pass to me regarding his reputation as a primadonna.

He will be insulated in LA by veterans who not only know how to win but have and also have guys like Dunno and Kempe, who may not wear a letter but has evolved into a leader as well, who he can learn from. I don't think any of Kopitar, Kempe, Danault and especially Doughty will let him slide if he even tries anything.

Winnipeg had none of that.