• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Blake so attached to Q? Can someone explain the thought process here?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Blake so attached to Q? Can someone explain the thought process here?

My logical guess is if he pans out, he will be a franchise 1C. Guys who are 6'5" 220 at almost 21 with some speed don't really grow on trees. If he can round out his hockey IQ (which isn't that good so far from what I've seen especially on the defensive side of the puck), learn to be aggressive, assertive and take command on the ice he could be someone the Kings can build around for a long time. So I get why the attraction is there.

The issue I've seen is it was one thing when he was 17 years old, 200 pounds and man handling other kids considerably smaller than him. It's a different ball game now, he is playing against physically developed, stronger men, faster, smarter. He doesn't process the game as quick because it is way faster than what he dominated at and in Kings rookie camp last season he didn't stand out against prospects greener than him although he had already played 40 NHL games to that point. Those two brutal gaffes leading to goals in the POs against Edmonton are still etched in my mind, he was brutal and got worse as the series went on.

He will be 21 in about 7 weeks, and I think this camp and season is going to be a make or break year for him in terms of actual production and understanding the NHL game. If he has another ho hum showing in 2023-24, they should absolutely start shopping him next summer.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Kupari has wheels, skill and plays physical but has hands like HOS. I can't count how many times that guy had breakaways or in tight and just flat out whiffed hitting the net or shot wide or whatever. Also clears out a very jammed prospect pool amongst the F group.

If this happened, pretty clear to me they are looking at the C depth as being 11/PLD/Dunno/The Lizard.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Blake is so high on Q why trade for PLD?

Because there is a huge gap between Kopitar and his successor no matter who you look at in the system. Buster will most likely remain on wing if PLD was brought in and Kupari was one of the pieces going back.

PLD has size, speed, skill, a bit of snarl and plays hard around the net when he goes there. He definitely adds an element the Kings don't have buy consistency is the issue. It also sure seems to me Bowlby has shifted into win now mode vs rebuild patiently since the clock is running out on Kopitar and Doughty.

I don't mind seeing him in LA, it's the contract extension at the rumored 8x$8-9 million I have the issue with.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kuapri, Gabe Vilardi + 2024 2nd round pick to Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois
8years 8.5 million

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So C1 is Kopitar, C2 is Danault and C3 Dubois? Or Kopitar, Dubois, Danault?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume PLD will switch from C to wing off n on

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me is, that he has given up on two teams now. So how long before he gives up on the Kings? And if he does give up on this team too, who’s going to take him and his contract? Unless and until he proves otherwise, I see him as a liability.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me is, that he has given up on two teams now. So how long before he gives up on the Kings? And if he does give up on this team too, who’s going to take him and his contract? Unless and until he proves otherwise, I see him as a liability.
100% agree, but he has performed even if unhappy. Also, look at the teams he didnt want to be on....niether team even really tried to win.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So C1 is Kopitar, C2 is Danault and C3 Dubois? Or Kopitar, Dubois, Danault?

My guess is above in the thread, Kopitar/PLD/Danault/Lizotte.

PLD and Dunno can be deployed as needed so I'd interchange them at 2C/3C dependent on situation and this finally slots in The Lizard where he belongs as a 4C.

Thats some solid depth down the middle, the Kings can use L1-3 at almost any given moment to create favorable match ups home team or not.

This pretty much drops down the 12/24/33 line as the unofficial L3 because I'm assuming Fiala and PLD will be on a line together on L2 but again, L2 and L3 can be interchangeable depending on other factors.

That's opened up a spot on the wing with Iafallo gone now for someone like Kaliyev to take that role but again, not liking what I've seen so far overall in prospect development.

Hopefully finally someone steps up and shows they belong in the T6.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see that to be honest. He was acquired because the Kings have not developed a C behind Kopitar, and Dunno isn't a legitimate 2C. I fully believe he will be kept down the middle.

This also raises concerns about what they think about Byfield and more specifically Turcotte, I'm almost certain this means the end for him. Pretty crazy to think 1st round picks from 2017-19 are essentially gone, and the other 2019 1st round pick (Bjornfot, 22nd) not being an NHL regular let alone an impactful one.

I like the trade overall but hate the contract. But who knows, maybe in 2 years the cap hit won't look so bad.

Last edited:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so Kopi’s contract ends at the end of next season. Will the Kings be able to resign him on a friendly contract? That way the cap wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. So getting PLD is not really the issue. The cap hit is, and the Kings cap situation now while still needing a goalie. There is no way this is a win now move. This, to me, is a setup to resign Kopitar next year for less cap, and see the cap go up, THEN address the goaltending situation. Word is it's a buyer's market for goalies, so Kings probably get some veteran to fill out the tandem and go from there. Also, their wing depth took a big hit with this move for sure. Strength at center for sure, so I guess we'll see.

Feels like Blake got fixated on PLD and just went all in on that move.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he has advised them he isn't coming back at the end of this deal (he will be 37 when 2024-25 starts) I expect short term deals, either 1-2 years at no more than $5 million AAV.

He is also 35 now, so he will be eligible to sign those 35+ deals with incentives (like Edler, he signed $1 year/$750,000 with an additional $750,000 he could earn in performance bonuses. The issue is the entire $1.5 million counted for this season, and whatever bonuses he didn't earn are added as available cap space the year after). So theoretically he could like a deal that i S say $3.5 million base with an additional $1.5 million in bonuses nut the whole $5 million would count against tue cap. The benefit here is real dollars, if the player doesn't earn the bonuses they don't pay those out.

The acquisition of PLD may have some inkling tied to it that Kopitar is contemplating retirement after this contract too, which means the Kings open up an entire $10 million in space if he doesn't come back at all. He may have already told brass that or at the very least may have hinted at it.

Unless Buster miraculously pops this season, we are looking at Kopitar's replacement.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. So getting PLD is not really the issue. The cap hit is, and the Kings cap situation now while still needing a goalie. There is no way this is a win now move. This, to me, is a setup to resign Kopitar next year for less cap, and see the cap go up, THEN address the goaltending situation. Word is it's a buyer's market for goalies, so Kings probably get some veteran to fill out the tandem and go from there. Also, their wing depth took a big hit with this move for sure. Strength at center for sure, so I guess we'll see.

Feels like Blake got fixated on PLD and just went all in on that move.

That possibility has crossed my mind, they are willing to go with Copley and a trash can this season but solidified the C position on all 4 lines.

Makes sense somewhat, Vegas defended the middle very well this Cup run and did it with a goalie making peanuts. It's a copycat league as they say, teams tried to mimick LA in 2012 after they saw big, heavy shot suppression hockey win two Cups in 3 years.

The wings definitely need some help, Kempe and Fiala are basically the only two legitimate T6 wingers. Moore and Arvidsson decent M6 wingers.

It's that LW1 spot where Buster is that concerns me, he really needs to start producing and in a big way this season. Kid gloves are off, you don't waste a 2nd overall on a puck hound. Start scoring goals dude.

The move definitely has opened up two spots, I think they are banking on Lafreniere making the team, Kaliyev showing he is a legitimate T6 wing and Buster producing. All three are on ELCs still so that's the play- internal improvement on cheap contracts to fill the gap.

Lot to hope goes right.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reread your post and thought of this as well...what if PLD has been penciled in as LW1? That means Buster is being moved off L1 which naturally moves him to 3C. Maybe giving him a shot to show his chops in that role?

Preliminary lines:

PLD/11/9
12/24/33
XX/55/XX
91-17/46/XX

The L3 XX players would most likely be Kaliyev and Laferriere (born in NJ with a French name - go figure. Much like Guy Hebert being from freaking NY), maybe Fagemo as the last one on L4. Way too soon to be firming up lines but a good exercise.