• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 New England Patriots Roster

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cook just to share the load with Stevenson. Not willing to spend a lot to get him. But it would give D coordinators nightmares.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cook just to share the load with Stevenson. Not willing to spend a lot to get him. But it would give D coordinators nightmares.
Doesn't that cut into Strong's reps?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Along with the other 5 RBs on the roster... They drafter Strong last year and still have am intriguing Kevin Harris, I would have no issue with cutting JJ Taylor if this had to happen, I just don't think it does. Again I think the media is mostly bored and doesn't seem to grasp the cause of last years issues

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh...DHop...what will we do without him...?

Just a quick top 10 WR from a historical perspective. How many have SB's?

Raymond Berry - 2X NFL Champion
Marvin Harrison - 1X Super Bowl Champion
Calvin Johnson - 0
Larry Fitzgerald - 0
Terrell Owens - 0
Steve Largent - 0
Lance Alworth - 0
Randy Moss - 0
Don Hutson - 3X NFL Champ
Jerry Rice - 3X Super Bowl Champ

Limit the list to the Super Bowl era and who makes the list?
Sterling Sharpe? 0
Steve Smith? 0
Andre Reed? 0
Chris Carter? 0

Is DHop Jerry Rice...?
No, he's a Really Really good WR that we can probably get to the playoffs without and who may not make a big enough difference in the playoffs.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sold on Strong?

Are you sold on Strong as your number 1 if Stevenson were to go down?

Thinking BoB is going to use the RB quite a bit, especially in wheel routes and dump offs can you see Strong carrying the load?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sold on Strong?

Are you sold on Strong as your number 1 if Stevenson were to go down?

Thinking BoB is going to use the RB quite a bit, especially in wheel routes and dump offs can you see Strong carrying the load?
He started getting Reps at the end of the year, again b/c IMO Matt had no idea how to use anyone. Strong is a burner, speed is his asset so I see more screens and play action reps for him

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh...DHop...what will we do without him...?

Just a quick top 10 WR from a historical perspective. How many have SB's?

Raymond Berry - 2X NFL Champion
Marvin Harrison - 1X Super Bowl Champion
Calvin Johnson - 0
Larry Fitzgerald - 0
Terrell Owens - 0
Steve Largent - 0
Lance Alworth - 0
Randy Moss - 0
Don Hutson - 3X NFL Champ
Jerry Rice - 3X Super Bowl Champ

Limit the list to the Super Bowl era and who makes the list?
Sterling Sharpe? 0
Steve Smith? 0
Andre Reed? 0
Chris Carter? 0

Is DHop Jerry Rice...?
No, he's a Really Really good WR that we can probably get to the playoffs without and who may not make a big enough difference in the playoffs.
I am not sure we make it to the playoffs without him?
I'll be happy to be wrong on this one.

Brutal schedule.
Toughest division.
Not sure what we have in Mac + BoB?
Oline concerns.

I was willing to give him a try IOT improve the offense. No way this offense is better without him.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brutal schedule.
Toughest division.
Oline concerns.

I was willing to give him a try IOT improve the offense. No way this offense is better without him.
It was all about the asking price. Could DHOP added some fire to the offense? Yes, sure! But he and BOB have a twisted history and BOB was willing to let him go for some reason. Would he have made this offense so much better that BB would take the cap hit and release another WR? I guess not. IMO BB has a pretty firm amount he is willing to pay any player and he may allow wiggle room but not a lot IMO

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He started getting Reps at the end of the year, again b/c IMO Matt had no idea how to use anyone. Strong is a burner, speed is his asset so I see more screens and play action reps for him
Agree he's a burner. Can take it to the house anytime he touches it.

The knock on him is his size and inability to make guys miss. He'd never be able to handle a full workload.

Very nice change of pace back.

Hell would love to see him flourish as a number 3 behind Stevenson and Cooks. Again another challenge for D coordinators.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the "we" comment for a moment I thought we were all part owners.

Sure evey coach keeps a little tucked away for injuries and possible FA moves. Not $18M which would've gone up if they signed Dhop as someone was getting cut.

BB had the money. Dhop was the best FA available. He failed to pull the trigger.

If it was Hop not wanting to practice I could live with that. If it was BB didn't want to spend 13M that's another story.

Is BB still trying to bolster his legacy post TB. Show the league I can do it with little talent and nepotism?

Things that make you go hmmm?
1) we are all "bought in"
2)I did not want Dhop. Money? injuries? Old? Won't practice?
3) the nepotism ship has sailed. Belichick junior has done a great job and continues to learn. Well respected!
4) you can't just throw money at every need. There will be other opportunities - it's just July!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was all about the asking price. Could DHOP added some fire to the offense? Yes, sure! But he and BOB have a twisted history and BOB was willing to let him go for some reason. Would he have made this offense so much better that BB would take the cap hit and release another WR? I guess not. IMO BB has a pretty firm amount he is willing to pay any player and he may allow wiggle room but not a lot IMO
It's called value. Did BB want Dhop? maybe, probably.. Was he going to empty his pockets for a guy who is getting old, missed a lot of games and would not practice? Would O'brien get along with a guy sitting on the sidelines for practice - if he showed at all?

Would Dhop be a good mentor for our young receivers?
You nailed it. There is more than enough reason to not pay a premium price for Dhop.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"That’s how NBC Sports’ Mike Florio sees it amid Hopkins’ expected signing with the Tennessee Titans. Florio told WEEI that “it goes back to the whole culture fit” for Belichick."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brutal schedule.
Toughest division.
Oline concerns.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted the Pats to sign DHop and I think he would have improved the offense. But I don't think the sky is falling because they didn't and as it took, what...three weeks for him to decide, obviously Bill made a very valid offer.
Some are calling for Bills head because he cheaped out again. I don't buy it. If that was the case DHop would have said no right away.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know what Bill offered him?
All I know is what he took from Tennessee. They could have been very similar but DHop liked something different.

Nashville vs Boston
Tim Kelly vs BO'B
BBQ vs Clam Chowder
Long summers vs long winters
Nashville building a dome vs playing outside in December

Or any combination of the above.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know what Bill offered him?
All I know is what he took from Tennessee. They could have been very similar but DHop liked something different.

Nashville vs Boston
Tim Kelly vs BO'B
BBQ vs Clam Chowder
Long summers vs long winters
Nashville building a dome vs playing outside in December

Or any combination of the above.
Could very well have a lot to do with the decision. Playing for BB has lost some appeal since TB12 left, and WRs didn't really come here for BB they came here for TB.

Another dome, Oyy, so tired of pussy football

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, with fewer yet larger seats.

Nashville is REALLY pushing to be be the it city.

The draft, the NASCAR Awards, The NHL All Star game, They want a Super Bowl bad.
I get it and domes or warm weather will guarantee a SB sooner or later. I think Kraft should push for a SB in NE. Each team should have a shot at it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently we offered the same money with more of it tied to incentives.
If Dhop plays 9 games this year will he look like a bargain to the Titans?

“New England was willing to match the max total ($15 million) for 2023, only with a far higher percentage of that total tied to incentives as part of an offer that, structurally at least, looked a little like Kansas City’s offer before the draft,” Breer wrote Tuesday."