• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deslauriers is a veteran, 4th liner. He might start, but he's not going to replace a youngster, let alone a defenseman. Any youngster relegated to our 4th line or the bench is probably better off having a much bigger role with the Phantoms.
My mention of a defenseman was because they listed 8 for the opening 23 man roster. There will not be 8 defensemen and Deslauriers would have to pass through waivers. He is a good 4th line player and young guys should not be on the 4th line. As you noted, better for a young guy to play in the AHL than 4th line.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mention of a defenseman was because they listed 8 for the opening 23 man roster. There will not be 8 defensemen and Deslauriers would have to pass through waivers. He is a good 4th line player and young guys should not be on the 4th line. As you noted, better for a young guy to play in the AHL than 4th line.
I'm still a bit perplexed that they failed to move Sanheim and are now stuck with him for an absolute minimum of four full seasons. He's already 27 years old and while he's shown flashes of being a stud, I think he needs to show a lot more moving forward or what exactly can we do!?! Puts us in a pretty terrible situation for years. Paying a defenseman (that we wish we had traded) $6.25 million a season for 4-8 more seasons. Yikes!!

6 seasons in the league and this is a guy that has 10 career power play points. Let him qb the top unit and see what we have. He's paid too much to just be a 25-30 point second pairing defenseman with no significant role in the power play.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, remember when we tried to trade you earlier this year before your NTC kicked in? That was a mistake on our part. We totally have full confidence in you moving forward and have no doubt that you will earn that $50 million over the next 8 years.

LOL

I mean fuck. That is some kind of way to instill confidence in a player.

oh my god omg GIF

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

24. Philadelphia Flyers

Last Year: 32nd

“It’s still early in the tenure of the Keith Jones and Daniel Briere front office but, so far, they’ve shown competence, understanding and a willingness to take risks and be creative. Most of the moves that Briere has made seem like they would have never even entered Chuck Fletcher’s headspace.”

“It’s a new regime for the Flyers, and perhaps my ratings reflect the past 18 years of the franchise (post-lockout year). But until I see otherwise the team will not get the benefit of the doubt. The hiring of Briere and Jones is trading in 70-80s era Flyers for more recent ones.”

The question that needs to be answered here is whether this really is a brand new era of orange … or if it’s the same old orange that’s plagued this franchise. No front office goes to the alumni well more than the Flyers do and in that sense, the new regime is nothing new.

But the early sense is that things are trending up for the Flyers and at the very least the franchise is moving in the right direction. Not shying away from Matvei Michkov at the draft is by far the team’s biggest win and showcases that the team finally has a vision worth executing. The Flyers are committed to a rebuild, a proper one, and put in some good work this summer toward that goal — namely moving on from Ivan Provorov.

It’s way too early to put the Flyers’ new shade of orange in the league’s top half, but for now, the progress does feel more promising. The Flyers were at the lowest possible point in terms of fan-base confidence just a year ago and they’re showing now that darkness doesn’t have to last long. Change is a good thing.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

24. Philadelphia Flyers

Last Year: 32nd

“It’s still early in the tenure of the Keith Jones and Daniel Briere front office but, so far, they’ve shown competence, understanding and a willingness to take risks and be creative. Most of the moves that Briere has made seem like they would have never even entered Chuck Fletcher’s headspace.”

“It’s a new regime for the Flyers, and perhaps my ratings reflect the past 18 years of the franchise (post-lockout year). But until I see otherwise the team will not get the benefit of the doubt. The hiring of Briere and Jones is trading in 70-80s era Flyers for more recent ones.”

The question that needs to be answered here is whether this really is a brand new era of orange … or if it’s the same old orange that’s plagued this franchise. No front office goes to the alumni well more than the Flyers do and in that sense, the new regime is nothing new.

But the early sense is that things are trending up for the Flyers and at the very least the franchise is moving in the right direction. Not shying away from Matvei Michkov at the draft is by far the team’s biggest win and showcases that the team finally has a vision worth executing. The Flyers are committed to a rebuild, a proper one, and put in some good work this summer toward that goal — namely moving on from Ivan Provorov.

It’s way too early to put the Flyers’ new shade of orange in the league’s top half, but for now, the progress does feel more promising. The Flyers were at the lowest possible point in terms of fan-base confidence just a year ago and they’re showing now that darkness doesn’t have to last long. Change is a good thing.
I think both Jones and Briere have a better sense of what the game should look like today, more skill, more speed. The biggest problem the old regime had IMO is they kept trying to build a team from that era. Toughness gets you nowhere if your getting skated around and scored on constantly. It's been a new era of hockey for awhile, it's just this organization hasn't moved on.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both Jones and Briere have a better sense of what the game should look like today, more skill, more speed. The biggest problem the old regime had IMO is they kept trying to build a team from that era. Toughness gets you nowhere if your getting skated around and scored on constantly. It's been a new era of hockey for awhile, it's just this organization hasn't moved on.
If drafting, trading for and retaining goalies were a criteria we would win the cup for the next 5 years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Set the DVRs!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone i would think Deslauries would replace Rhett Gardner in the line up showed in the article.

I guess this is a symptom of of the suck, but who the hell is Rhett Gardner?

Edit: Looks like an AHL guy. Agree 100% Deslauries will be in that spot.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is a symptom of of the suck, but who the hell is Rhett Gardner?

Edit: Looks like an AHL guy. Agree 100% Deslauries will be in that spot.
Welcome back hope you are having a nice summer!

Don't know why we needed him but we did sign him with a two way free agent contract worth 775k for 2 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back hope you are having a nice summer!

Don't know why we needed him but we did sign him with a two way free agent contract worth 775k for 2 years.

Thanks! Busy summer at the awaz house. Had a baby girl in July :)

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3