• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move him to first, can't catch regularly anymore, etc...
Next year he will be a year older.

This year they are handling his catching inning with kid gloves.

His numbers the last month or so, while not bad, are not as good as the first month. Not that this is a HUGE red flag, but is a bad trend.

Take off your Orange-tint glasses and look objectively. Acknowledging that a player is aging is not doomsaying. It is being realistic.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year he will be a year older.

This year they are handling his catching inning with kid gloves.

His numbers the last month or so, while not bad, are not as good as the first month. Not that this is a HUGE red flag, but is a bad trend.

Take off your Orange-tint glasses and look objectively. Acknowledging that a player is aging is not doomsaying. It is being realistic.
It's too early for this. I admit to being a bit sensitive on him as Posey is my all time favorite Giant. He's literally having his best year ever though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn people want to shit on Posey even with the year he's having? Dude can catch 110-120 games next year. He can DH too in AL parks (and potentially NL ones if they make the change) and play some first.

I am 100% happy with whatever overpay is needed to keep him a Giant for life.
Dude, you are worse than I am with Belt. There was no hate toward Posey. As cal points out, he is getting older. And talk has swirled around him for years that this would be the time he transitions over to 1st base. Playing there would keep him in the lineup more often and, hopefully, allow him to do even better at the plate.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you are worse than I am with Belt. There was no hate toward Posey. As cal points out, he is getting older. And talk has swirled around him for years that this would be the time he transitions over to 1st base. Playing there would keep him in the lineup more often and, hopefully, allow him to do even better at the plate.
Yes there was lots of talk and then he came out this year and gave us his best season ever. Still not over of course.

Obviously he isn't catching 150 games but next year figure 110 catching, 15 DH, 15 at 1B and that's plenty.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty liberal with my highlights. And I wasn’t necessarily highlighting players I thought they would target as a starter. And I agree that it would be surprising if they signed Sandoval. FZ doesn’t have a sentimental bone in his body.

I don’t know how they proceed with Posey. They need to sign him first, though, so assuming he will be on the roster is premature (though I do expect him to be around next year)
If Posey finishes with an All Star/MVP type season as he's having now, I could see them signing him to a 2 year deal to retire as a Giant. I'd imagine they'd play him 4 games a week behind the dish and a game at 1b with Bart picking up the lion's share of the other starts. Then, in 23, flip it and have Buster back up Joey.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Posey finishes with an All Star/MVP type season as he's having now, I could see them signing him to a 2 year deal to retire as a Giant. I'd imagine they'd play him 4 games a week behind the dish and a game at 1b with Bart picking up the lion's share of the other starts. Then, in 23, flip it and have Buster back up Joey.
And FZ can sign @calsnowskier to cover any remaining games at 1st base, because anyone can move to that position and be good.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn people want to shit on Posey even with the year he's having? Dude can catch 110-120 games next year. He can DH too in AL parks (and potentially NL ones if they make the change) and play some first.

I am 100% happy with whatever overpay is needed to keep him a Giant for life.

I still think he does at least 1 season with the Braves...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about potential trades, and I realized that the Cubs are almost certainly going to be in sell mode. They have 2 or 3 pieces that I think the Giants would be very interested in…

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Craig Kimbrel

All 3 are Free Agents after this season and none have no-trade protection. Gotta figure the Cubs would offer a QO to Rizzo and Bryant, and MAYBE Kimbrel as well, so that will up their asking prices (Kimbrel may have already received a QO in the past, I am not certain).

I think Rizzo and Kimbrel are perfect matches, Bryant less so, but still someone to look at. Because they all would be rentals, and rental prices have generally fetched smaller hauls than expected the last few years, I think we could get 2 for 1 solid prospect and some lotto tickets. Specifically, I am thinking something along the lines of…

Rizzo and Kimbrel

for

Canario
Corry
some unknown lottos

(or)

Bart
some lesser unknown lottos

i think the Giants then sign Rizzo to a 5 year deal and Kimbrel to a 3 year deal.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about potential trades, and I realized that the Cubs are almost certainly going to be in sell mode. They have 2 or 3 pieces that I think the Giants would be very interested in…

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Craig Kimbrel

All 3 are Free Agents after this season and none have no-trade protection. Gotta figure the Cubs would offer a QO to Rizzo and Bryant, and MAYBE Kimbrel as well, so that will up their asking prices (Kimbrel may have already received a QO in the past, I am not certain).

I think Rizzo and Kimbrel are perfect matches, Bryant less so, but still someone to look at. Because they all would be rentals, and rental prices have generally fetched smaller hauls than expected the last few years, I think we could get 2 for 1 solid prospect and some lotto tickets. Specifically, I am thinking something along the lines of…

Rizzo and Kimbrel

for

Canario
Corry
some unknown lottos

(or)

Bart

i think the Giants then sign Rizzo to a 5 year deal and Kimbrel to a 3 year deal.
I like the idea of Kimbrel...a lot.
Rizzo...I think you'd be buying high on him, he's not been particularly good the last two years. Unless the Giants figure they can tweak his swing as they've done with other 30+ yo players.
Bryant...seems like he's exactly what FZ looks for. Positional flexibility, can handle himself defensively, controls the strike zone a bit. Might be had for a decent price

As for who I'd give up --
No way: Luciano, Bart, Ramos, Bishop, Corry, Harrison, Canario, Toribio, Hjelle, Swiney
Maybe: Bailey, Matos, Wilson, Pomares, Schmitt, Wyatt, Teng.

Kimbrel probably takes a Bailey or Matos.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Belt is, in fact, back in the next few weeks, than yes, Rizzo will not be a target. However, I think the Cubs have been a bit of a mess the last few years. I would trust putting him in a race and in a solid locker room could help his performance. That said, only last year was a “bad” year. In ‘19, he had a 140 OPS+ and he has a 120 OPS+ so far this year. And last year, his “bad” year, he still had a 106 OPS+ and won the GG.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spitballing here…

Bryant
Kimbrel
Heyward

Cash considerations

The Giants may need more.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Craig Kimbrel

Rizzo and Kimbrel

for

Canario
Corry
some unknown lottos

(or)

Bart

I'm not quite convinced, yet, that the Cubs will be in sell mode. They are in a very weak division and a sell off would royally piss off their fanbase. Of course, being the Cubs, the fans will still come to games, so that may not sway ownership from selling. Still, I think we are another couple of weeks from knowing whether they will sell or stand pat (cannot really see them buying either).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Craig Kimbrel

Rizzo and Kimbrel

for

Canario
Corry
some unknown lottos

(or)

Bart

Why are you so sure Cubs will be sellers? Just curious they aren't that far back

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, “almost certainly” be be an over statement, but they are 6.5 back in the division and 6 back in the wildcard.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Kimbrel...a lot.
Rizzo...I think you'd be buying high on him, he's not been particularly good the last two years. Unless the Giants figure they can tweak his swing ...

As for who I'd give up --
No way: Luciano, Bart, Ramos, Bishop, Corry, Harrison, Canario, Toribio, Hjelle, Swiney
Maybe: Bailey, Matos, Wilson, Pomares, Schmitt, Wyatt, Teng.

Kimbrel probably takes a Bailey or Matos.
I can live without the last three untouchables...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can live without the last three untouchables...
Considering both Hjelle and Swiney are currently on the IL with their respective teams, I'm not sure they would be included in trade packages, unless the new team felt the injuries were of no concern (I haven't looked into why they are on the IL).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, “almost certainly” be be an over statement, but they are 6.5 back in the division and 6 back in the wildcard.
Sure, and you're maybe right, but we have a month for them to maybe make up ground.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Craig Kimbrel

Rizzo and Kimbrel

for

Canario
Corry
some unknown lottos

(or)

Bart

While my exact specifics were off, the Cubs did, in fact trade all 3, we were involved, and Canario was the centerpiece in our cost…