• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draymond said the 17 Warriors would beat the 98 Bulls by 20 lmfao
96 Bulls was one of the Top 5 teams ever. Can't say the same about the 98 ones. Since it'd have to be a 7 game series, yeah I bet the Ws win one of the 7 jn a blowout. Ws in 6.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is guarding the Mailman? Lol dude would go off for 40. It’s just a different game nowadays.
Who is Stockton or Malone guarding? The Ws would have 2 guys go for 40 LOL

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dray thinks he can lock down Malone.
Why not? He locks down lots of really good scorers. Not like Malone is some perimeter player. In 2017 remember, Dray was top of his game.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Lloyd from TheAthletic who is very plugged in:

What are the Cavaliers doing? Specifically, what is the plan with Sexton, why did they trade into the second round to draft Isaiah Mobley, and do you believe they will be at all involved as a player in the Nets trades, perhaps as an opportunistic third team? Also, Brian Windhorst’s musings that LeBron could come back again — care to opine on that? — Ryan L.

I initially thought they acquired the extra second-round pick as added ammo to either inch up from 14 or, more likely, bundle their 2s to move back into the bottom of the first round. I was told after the draft that really wasn’t the case, that they didn’t want another guaranteed contract they had to carry on their books and it was as simple as they could buy the extra second-rounder for about $1.5 million so go ahead and do it. It’s my understanding Mobley, whom they selected with the extra pick, will likely be a two-way guy this year. The other picks were draft-and-stash guys overseas.

This Sexton contract could take a while to get sorted out. He’s repped now by Rich Paul, one of the league’s most ruthless negotiators. Markkanen’s free agency last year, if you’ll recall, wasn’t sorted out until the end of August. It wouldn’t surprise me if something similar happened with Sexton.

As for LeBron, he’ll sign an extension with the Lakers next month — particularly if Kyrie Irving is traded to L.A. If LeBron doesn’t sign the extension, however, buckle up. Anything is possible. James told me over All-Star weekend he wouldn’t close the door on an eventual Cavs return, but he seemed to walk that back once he returned to Los Angeles for the second half of the season. No one at Cleveland Clinic Courts is sitting around waiting for LeBron to return. That isn’t the plan this time. But if James doesn’t sign the extension, it could be silly season again awfully fast in the NBA.

The last thing I’ll say on it: When James burned the Cavs to the ground the year after they won the championship and was highly critical of the roster construction, he ended his rant to reporters by saying it would be different if he wasn’t still in championship mode, but he was still playing at an incredibly high level. Well, five years later, he’s still playing at an incredibly high level. The question is whether he’s still hunting titles. If he’s good with four rings and he wants to ride out his career in the L.A. sun, more power to him. But if he wants another ring, short of an Irving trade, I don’t see how the Lakers get there as presently constructed. Is he still in championship mode? Only he knows the answer.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? He locks down lots of really good scorers. Not like Malone is some perimeter player. In 2017 remember, Dray was top of his game.
I give Dray credit for being a good defender- especially back then- but Malone is like Embiid except extremely tough and durable instead of being fragile. Dray has never been the most athletic or big guy. I think Malone would just bully him. At some point no amount of grit is going to matter. You ever see Malone? The guy is a freaking tank....one of the craziest physical specimens the NBA has ever seen.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Lloyd from TheAthletic who is very plugged in:

What are the Cavaliers doing? Specifically, what is the plan with Sexton, why did they trade into the second round to draft Isaiah Mobley, and do you believe they will be at all involved as a player in the Nets trades, perhaps as an opportunistic third team? Also, Brian Windhorst’s musings that LeBron could come back again — care to opine on that? — Ryan L.

I initially thought they acquired the extra second-round pick as added ammo to either inch up from 14 or, more likely, bundle their 2s to move back into the bottom of the first round. I was told after the draft that really wasn’t the case, that they didn’t want another guaranteed contract they had to carry on their books and it was as simple as they could buy the extra second-rounder for about $1.5 million so go ahead and do it. It’s my understanding Mobley, whom they selected with the extra pick, will likely be a two-way guy this year. The other picks were draft-and-stash guys overseas.

This Sexton contract could take a while to get sorted out. He’s repped now by Rich Paul, one of the league’s most ruthless negotiators. Markkanen’s free agency last year, if you’ll recall, wasn’t sorted out until the end of August. It wouldn’t surprise me if something similar happened with Sexton.

As for LeBron, he’ll sign an extension with the Lakers next month — particularly if Kyrie Irving is traded to L.A. If LeBron doesn’t sign the extension, however, buckle up. Anything is possible. James told me over All-Star weekend he wouldn’t close the door on an eventual Cavs return, but he seemed to walk that back once he returned to Los Angeles for the second half of the season. No one at Cleveland Clinic Courts is sitting around waiting for LeBron to return. That isn’t the plan this time. But if James doesn’t sign the extension, it could be silly season again awfully fast in the NBA.

The last thing I’ll say on it: When James burned the Cavs to the ground the year after they won the championship and was highly critical of the roster construction, he ended his rant to reporters by saying it would be different if he wasn’t still in championship mode, but he was still playing at an incredibly high level. Well, five years later, he’s still playing at an incredibly high level. The question is whether he’s still hunting titles. If he’s good with four rings and he wants to ride out his career in the L.A. sun, more power to him. But if he wants another ring, short of an Irving trade, I don’t see how the Lakers get there as presently constructed. Is he still in championship mode? Only he knows the answer.
Been saying it for months. Leave the Lakers where he can be "old man get young guys a ring" (like Cleveland or New Orleans, or Atlanta, something like that), 1 and 1 contract. Then after that 1 year ring chase, it's Bronny time.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Dray credit for being a good defender- especially back then- but Malone is like Embiid except extremely tough and durable instead of being fragile. Dray has never been the most athletic or big guy. I think Malone would just bully him. At some point no amount of grit is going to matter. You ever see Malone? The guy is a freaking tank....one of the craziest physical specimens the NBA has ever seen.
Oh for sure, Draymond even at his peak wouldn't shut down Malone but he'd keep him in the reasonable range most games. Defense is a team thing. KD could defend then too with his length, Iggy was still a dude too. And then the other way? Malone for all that size was a mediocre defender. What are Stockton and Malone and Hornacek gonna do with peak KD, Steph, and Klay?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting too:

3. In addition to paying Watson’s salary that could preclude keeping existing players and acquiring new talent, has there been any analysis by the Browns or press on longer-term effects of giving up three first-round and additional picks for one player? One possible comparison is Washington’s acquisition of Robert Griffin, but are there others? — John T.

It’s my understanding they’ve had far more new orders placed for tickets than they’ve had cancellations. The cap will become a real problem as soon as next year in large part because of the Watson contract.

As to your last question, it’s difficult to compare this trade to any other in history because of the importance of the quarterback position and the fact franchise quarterbacks never become available in trades. The last time I could find a franchise quarterback traded in his prime was Fran Tarkenton in 1967. Teams have traded multiple first-round picks for stars and watched the deal blow up in their faces (Herschel Walker to the Vikings, for example), but none of those past deals involved established quarterbacks.

If Watson plays to the level he’s capable of, he’s worth the draft picks. If injuries or more off-field issues derail his career, I’m already on record that this deal will be the tombstone to the Haslam family’s tenure as Browns owners.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying it for months. Leave the Lakers where he can be "old man get young guys a ring" (like Cleveland or New Orleans, or Atlanta, something like that), 1 and 1 contract. Then after that 1 year ring chase, it's Bronny time.
honestly- I think he is staying in LAL. I think he doesnt want to move. likes the LA woke scene and being seen about town and feeling important......I dont think championships are the most important thing for him anymore.

If they trade for Irving- he DEFINITELY stays. If they dont- I thought it was 60% he stays- but at this point I will up that to 75%. Having said that- if he does leave- I cannot see him going anywhre except Cleveland. Wit the connections and the roster its just too good of a fit. He would fit in perfectly position wise with this team. Plus- he could coast some games. Cavs have great big men that defend. They have a great point guard that takes pressure off. Its a perfect fit roster wise.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never seen a Guardians team- or barely any team with more solid prospects than the Guardians have right now.

At SS they have Arias, Tena, Martinez and Freeman. Everyone is projected as at least a solid big leaguer.

In the outfield Kwan has established himself. Gonzalez looked good before he got hurt. Jones- once their top prospect and moved from 3rd to OF because of Jose- has looked very good since being called up. They still have Benson and Brennan in triple A who have been raking. Benson was a former 1st round pick. Brennan has been like the best minor league hitter in all of baseball. -- Valera is still a year or so away but he is the most talented of all of the outfield prospects. Palacios looked okay when he was playing

Jhensky Noel is ripping the ball - the dude is a beast 1b prospect- he is a monster.

pitching wise they have a ton of guys--- Williams and Espino are extremely highly rated pitchers- especially Espino. They have 5-6 other SP that are all rated as major league talents.

Id usually say its impossible for the Guardians and ridiculous for them to even consider Soto- but at some point they have to consolidate some of these guys.

If they traded 5 guys for Soto- they would still have a good system better than at least half of baseball. Obviously not all of these guys will payoff. Maybe not even half of them. But if just a third do- they are in very good shape long term.

To make a long story short- they have really threaded the needle and went super young and "rebuilding" without losing a ton like so many other small market teams. Just about every small market team has to go through 2, 3, or 4 years worth of pain every decade and roll over the roster- but they have managed not to do that which is an extraordinary feat. The A's are a very well run team but they have bottomed out. Seattle bottomed out before coming on. the Orioles have bottomed out forever before now finally getting back to respectable. Arizona is bottoming out. The Tigers, the Royals, the Pirates, the Reds the Marlins.....

Guardians orgazaniton is one of the best in baseball- its one of the reasons so many GM's and high level front office people are hired from their team