• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, his agent said he's loyal to the Lakers and willing to take less since they were just 1 of 3 teams to offer him a contract last offseason.

I don't care what his agent said. Let's see his agent say that when he is actually a free agent.

Agents and players lie all the time when under contract

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money is all relative. What Schroder did was obviously an all time insane decision versus what we are discussing but it's still turning down guaranteed money for the potential of practically the same

Right.

As I have said, there is risk on both his and the Lakers parts.

For him, he would be accepting less money and no security this season when he could possibly get $10 million per season and have the security of 4 years at that price. So $40 million. In exchange, he would be playing for the possibility of getting $11 million per year for 4 years beginning in 2023 and staying where he says he's happy. So $50 million.

For the Lakers, they would have to give up their TPMLE for a guy who they don't know if he can repeat last seasons success. If he can't, they will have wasted their best chance to add a piece that could actually help them. If he does repeat last years success, they would still have the risk that he may get fat & happy with his $11 million and stop working.

It will all come down to how confident he is in himself and if he is willing to trust that the Lakers will sign him to the bigger deal after this season.

So, while Lakers fans certainly shouldn't be saying that he'll absolutely be back...others shouldn't be saying that he absolutely won't.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

As I have said, there is risk on both his and the Lakers parts.

For him, he would be accepting less money and no security this season when he could possibly get $10 million per season and have the security of 4 years at that price. So $40 million. In exchange, he would be playing for the possibility of getting $11 million per year for 4 years beginning in 2023 and staying where he says he's happy. So $50 million.

For the Lakers, they would have to give up their TPMLE for a guy who they don't know if he can repeat last seasons success. If he can't, they will have wasted their best chance to add a piece that could actually help them. If he does repeat last years success, they would still have the risk that he may get fat & happy with his $11 million and stop working.

It will all come down to how confident he is in himself and if he is willing to trust that the Lakers will sign him to the bigger deal after this season.

So, while Lakers fans certainly shouldn't be saying that he'll absolutely be back...others shouldn't be saying that he absolutely won't.
Pretty good chance he will be since it has already been mentioned though.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder was in a different pay level than Monk is. The Lakers offered him what? Over $20 million per year and he thought he could get more.

According to NBA execs, Monks ceiling is $10 million per year and his floor is $5 million per year. Big difference.
Absolutely.

Which is why it is baffling that you think a guy who's made 17 mil in his career might turn down a guaranteed 4 year deal on a MAYBE.

Like, all of this is us just spit balling.

I don't know that anyone WILL offer him 4/40.

But, I know a guy with no financial security would be foolish to turn it down on a MAYBE if someone did.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good chance he will be since it has already been mentioned though.

I don't think anyone can say anything one way or the other until he actually starts receiving offers.

The range is said to be $5 million to $10 million. The closer the offers are to $5 million, the greater the chance he stays, the closer they are to $10 million, the greater the chance he leaves.

Anything over $10 million and he gone.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, his agent said he's loyal to the Lakers and willing to take less since they were just 1 of 3 teams to offer him a contract last offseason.
Dj,

Do you think posting the same thing repeatedly will make everyone forget what he's said after that?

Haven't we already shown he definitely wants to stay if all things are equal?

The Lakers 6 mil vs another teams 40 isn't equal.

Out of his own mouth he's made both of our points.

Not sure why you think your's cancels out everything he has said since then.

Again: Just last month he said money matters.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't prove what you want it to...it also doesn't what Lakers fans want it to.

It says that money is important (no one has said it isn't) but that there are other considerations as well.

In short, it says what I've been saying this whole time.
Umm, no.

It says exactly what both of our points are.

He wants to stay with the Lakers, no buts about it.

But, money will be a factor along with comfort.

That's not " He and his agent already said he's staying with the Lakers due to loyalty ", which is the point you piggy backed on from DJ.

All anyone else here said was : He's expected to get more than that and If he gets offered a 4 yr deal, he should take it despite his desire to be a Laker.

Your bandwagon mate is the one betting people money that Monk is dumb enough to take a 1 yr deal from the Lakers no matter what anyone else offers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

Which is why it is baffling that you think a guy who's made 17 mil in his career might turn down a guaranteed 4 year deal on a MAYBE.

But, I know a guy with no financial security would be foolish to turn it down on a MAYBE if someone did.

I'm going off of what he has said. If he hadn't made the comments he's made, I wouldn't think there was any chance he'd be back.

Just because he said he'd take less in March, doesn't mean anything has changed. His comment that you quoted, says money is important, but he has other considerations as well.

As far as the "MAYBE" that would be him gambling on himself that he can stay healthy and repeat last years success. If he can, he'll get his security 1 season later and he stays where he apparently wants to be.

He's 24, he may figure that if he gets Schroeder'd, he has time to recover and still get a pay day.

That's the thing with trying to predict what these guys will do. They have so much confidence in themselves that it often times causes them to make decisions that seem crazy to the rest of us.

I can say right now that if I was presented with the choice he'll have...I'm taking that security as soon as I can get it.

But if I were 24 and good enough to be in the NBA...well, let's just say I don't know what I'd do...it certainly wouldn't be the first time my confidence overrode my common sense at that age. lol.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlikely since LeBron knows he needs to be surrounded by shooters and Monk is most def a shooter.
Lmao

LeBron doesn't give a fuck about anyone but Lebron.

He wants to win.

He has zero loyalties when it comes to that.

The Lakers could have max room if they don't take on any salary outside of Lebron.

You think keeping Monk over grabbing another max guy will matter?

Gmafb.

If Monk stood to make MORE by waiting, sure.

But, risk a guaranteed 4 years on a maybe to get similar?

Lmfao

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are Monk's options? Detroit? Orlando? SA who has a bunch of guards? Portland is interested in Lavine. And they also have Simons.

Not many teams have a lot of cap space this offseason. Not sa normal FA since teams spent a shit ton last summer. That's why I think he returns.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

Maybe? Sports is the land of "wink, wink, deals." Sign with us for such amount and next year we'll pay you.

This is nothing new.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going off of what he has said. If he hadn't made the comments he's made, I wouldn't think there was any chance he'd be back.

Just because he said he'd take less in March, doesn't mean anything has changed. His comment that you quoted, says money is important, but he has other considerations as well.

As far as the "MAYBE" that would be him gambling on himself that he can stay healthy and repeat last years success. If he can, he'll get his security 1 season later and he stays where he apparently wants to be.

He's 24, he may figure that if he gets Schroeder'd, he has time to recover and still get a pay day.

That's the thing with trying to predict what these guys will do. They have so much confidence in themselves that it often times causes them to make decisions that seem crazy to the rest of us.

I can say right now that if I was presented with the choice he'll have...I'm taking that security as soon as I can get it.

But if I were 24 and good enough to be in the NBA...well, let's just say I don't know what I'd do...it certainly wouldn't be the first time my confidence overrode my common sense at that age. lol.
I'm going off what he said too.

He did say weather it's here or elsewhere, right?

That's not I'm staying with the Lakers full stop.

Monk on making a free agent decision, and what he prioritizes: “Me being comfortable, feeling at home … whether that’s here or somewhere else. The money matters, but I know what I can do on the court.”

If it FINANCIALLY makes sense.

I can't speak for this kid.

But, like you said, if it were you, you'd take the security.

If offers are similar, he clearly wants to be a Laker.

Allen Sliwa: Malik Monk with @LAIreland & @champagnennuts on if he would be interested in coming back next season if it financially makes sense… “I love it here…Def would love to come back.”

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 27,771.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your bandwagon mate is the one betting people money that Monk is dumb enough to take a 1 yr deal from the Lakers no matter what anyone else offers.
That a no? Ok, I see you got your 100k....

8k? 10k?