• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would put him in Dwayne Wade territory…a top 5-10 player in his prime. Awesome if he gets there. I just don’t see it.
I don't think he needs to be Wade level for this deal to pay off. I mean, if you look at all the players set to make more than his avg. salary in his new deal (so $40 mil or more) in the next season, you can make a case based on age, skill and health he's a better bargain than 4 of the 11 - Westbrook, Wall, Klay and PG. and salaries are only going to go up...likely way up.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be retarded. The modern 4 has to help space the floor. If he isn’t a PG, Simmons is a small ball 5. Less pressure to shoot outside and his passing out of the post can be utilized. He has to take steps as a finisher though for this to be realized. Ben Simmons best position is as a PG. He’s a taller, better defending version of Rajon Rondo.
He's a taller Draymond basically.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need both and probably another guy in the league today. It’s a plus Mobley will be on his rookie contract for a handful of years though. Dray, Steph and Klay were all paid like max players but was Dray a max guy. Wouldn’t compare Garland to him but you need to pay your guys. Garland isn’t a bad contract even at this point. Getting Allen and Rubio at great prices helps and possibly Sexton
Agree on Dray. Another example of the system I’m criticizing. He is a valuable piece for them but he’s not a “max” player.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody’s contract looks great when you put them up against the worst contracts in the league. It’s nearly an impossible contract for him to put perform. I’m not hating on Garland here. I’m criticizing the system that says if a player gets an accolade he gets slotted into a spot for a “max”. The system is flawed. Cavs bid against essentially no one and yet if they wanted to keep this player this was what was needed to be done.
while I don't disagree the system is flawed there are probably better examples than garland to make it. I think you could even say guys like Garland have decent deals for their 1st extension. It's in #2 and/or 3 where they become incredibly overpaid IMO.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markkanen too.

Key is having a guy like Gilbert who will likely pay whatever he's allowed to pay if it means we can be a contender. We'll go well over the cap regardless so does it really matter if he's paying Garland $39 mil as opposed to $10-15 mil less than that? Unless you are an heir of Gilbert?
Another solid point. As fans, we don’t care. It’s not our money. We only care about salaries when it gets in the way of improving upon the team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Dray. Another example of the system I’m criticizing. He is a valuable piece for them but he’s not a “max” player.
agree...and kind of comes down to if you have an owner with a will to win (or obscene will to win). I mean, as I think I mentioned, the Cavs are going to go way over the cap so it doesn't really matter much to us if we pay him $39 mil or $25-29 mil. same was true when we extended TT, JR and Shump. It was sign them or no one (like GS with Green).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most things are these days.
Yep......could argue really only rookies and true elite max guys are worth what they are paid.

I mean, sure, a guy is worth what someone will pay him but you know what I mean.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minus the Fuck You snarl of a winner. And that is what makes Draymond Draymond.
This is why I used to refer to Ben as overdrafted WalMart brand Draymond. He would still be a Sixer if he was content being the third wheel and doing the little things it takes to win as a leader and a player. Additionally, Draymond has maximized his god given abilities. Simmons god given abilities realized = he’s a top 5 player in the league, defensive player of the year, and Hall of Famer. I still think the kid can get there if he can get out of his own head. That’s a big if though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep......could argue really only rookies and true elite max guys are worth what they are paid.

I mean, sure, a guy is worth what someone will pay him but you know what I mean.
And was going to bring this point up with some of the contracts you mentioned (Beal Lavine, etc…) a dynamic that exists in all sports is that a team is often paying for past performance and not future performance. I think we can agree that’s a unique aspect of the Garland deal. They’re not paying for past performance. They’re paying for a projection of future performance.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love those Vegas odds of -200 KD to Suns. That increases the likelihood of Morey being the facilitator. Plus he stays away from Celtics Heat and Raptors.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And was going to bring this point up with some of the contracts you mentioned (Beal Lavine, etc…) a dynamic that exists in all sports is that a team is often paying for past performance and not future performance. I think we can agree that’s a unique aspect of the Garland deal. They’re not paying for past performance. They’re paying for a projection of future performance.
Right. I think often in the 1st extension they will be paying for future performance. 2nd extension could go either way. 3rd is often for past performance.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love those Vegas odds of -200 KD to Suns. That increases the likelihood of Morey being the facilitator. Plus he stays away from Celtics Heat and Raptors.

KD's scared of the Celtics. Swept his team jumpin' ass right outta the playoffs.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone but Barnes.

If they wk from the Nets id like to see the Raps go after SGA instead