• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope. Not even sure why he brought him up....still a few years away from an extension.

Because he’s being paid like 7% of that the first year of garlands extension.

Think next year is maxeys extension year

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we have are 2nd years to compare. Both guys around 17.5 points PPG but Maxey needed fewer shots to do it. Maxey could do what Garland does for Cleveland and he showed that by averaging 25.5 when Embiid was out with Covid. It isn’t that Maxey can’t be that dude. He’s lucky enough to be on a roster where he has Joel Embiid.
By this "logic" sexton deserves a max deal as his year 3 was comparable to Kyrie and Booker's year 3 seasons.

I mean, if Maxey keeps improving as Garland did he'll likely be in line for an extension. will you be throwing shade if he gets it?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. Perfect timing on that. Embiid and Harden’s presence will likely keep him from attaining an individual accolade like All NBA or an All Star team. They can likely lock him up for 4-5 years at around 30 million per. Looking at these wild salaries, he would be a nice value at that number if he stays on this trajectory.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By this "logic" sexton deserves a max deal as his year 3 was comparable to Kyrie and Booker's year 3 seasons.

I mean, if Maxey keeps improving as Garland did he'll likely be in line for an extension. will you be throwing shade if he gets it?
He’s already the same player Garland is. And based on Garland getting 39 million Sexton is a bargain at 20 million. Garland isn’t two times the player Sexton is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it....and Mobley will be paid a lot less than a ton of just OK players next year. That's how it works.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. And Mobley has been compared to AD among others. so?

IF Maxey continues to progress he, too, will be in line for a max extension.
Not likely. Maxey isn’t on a bad team where he can post a ton of stats and sneak his way onto an all star team triggering the rookie max extension.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it....and Mobley will be paid a lot less than a ton of just OK players next year. That's how it works.

Yup.

I’m not sure either are true superstar max guys .

But they’re in the good enough you pay the max cause you can’t easily replace them level

But they’re so young that there’s still upside there

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

But they’re in the good enough you pay the max cause you can’t easily replace them level

I see paying Garland 39 million as similar to what happened to the Sixers with Tobias Harris. Circumstances dictated that on paper he was a guy you max. Yet he isn’t an elite player deserving of a “max”.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s already the same player Garland is. And based on Garland getting 39 million Sexton is a bargain at 20 million. Garland isn’t two times the player Sexton is.
I can agree Sexton deserves more than many are saying he'll get. Should the Cavs have made him wait and not extended him?

Little too soon to say he's "already the same player Garland is" IMO. Good for us, though, since Okoro is pretty much the same player Butler was after 2 seasons.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Totally agree. as I mentioned in my first comment, sure, a case can be made that only true elite players should get max deals. But as we know that's not how it works. I think where you get in trouble is paying the max to the older, regressing players.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree Sexton deserves more than many are saying he'll get. Should the Cavs have made him wait and not extended him?

Little too soon to say he's "already the same player Garland is" IMO. Good for us, though, since Okoro is pretty much the same player Butler was after 2 seasons.
My bad. My post wasn’t clear. I was saying that Maxey is already the same player Garland is not Sexton. I would say Garland and Maxey are both better players than Sexton. Sexton comment was about saying that Garland isn’t 2 times the salary better. The game is the game and it is what it is. That’s what you need to do to keep that guy in the fold. I’m just saying there’s not a ton of value in that from a team perspective.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts are getting crazy so hard to tell a players’ worth when he is so young and not hiy his full potential. I mean does Towns mean more to a team than a guy that had elite vision and sharpshooter or 2-way wing? Just an ecample

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see paying Garland 39 million as similar to what happened to the Sixers with Tobias Harris. Circumstances dictated that on paper he was a guy you max. Yet he isn’t an elite player deserving of a “max”.
Far better comparisons to use than Harris. Think Garland will be considered overpaid and a guy the cavs want to dump as he gets further into this new deal?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts are getting crazy so hard to tell a players’ worth when he is so young and not hiy his full potential. I mean does Towns mean more to a team than a guy that had elite vision and sharpshooter or 2-way wing? Just an ecample
Another great example. I don’t think KAT is worth a max myself. But the rules of the game say he is because of accolades he’s been handed.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far better comparisons to use than Harris. Think Garland will be considered overpaid and a guy the cavs want to dump as he gets further into this new deal?
I think he is more likely to be a player worth less than 39 million than he is to be a player that is worth the 39 million. Tobias is a solid player. He’s just not a max player. And he’s getting shopped because he doesn’t fit with the Sixers Big 3.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. My post wasn’t clear. I was saying that Maxey is already the same player Garland is not Sexton. I would say Garland and Maxey are both better players than Sexton. Sexton comment was about saying that Garland isn’t 2 times the salary better. The game is the game and it is what it is. That’s what you need to do to keep that guy in the fold. I’m just saying there’s not a ton of value in that from a team perspective.
No disagreement with some of this and I agree he's not 2X the player Sexton is. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Sexton not being mentioned on the same level as, say, Brunson, when it comes to worth.

with the cap expected to spike quite a bit and Garland still young with room to improve, do you consider there will very possibly be a time where he'll be underpaid in this deal?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is more likely to be a player worth less than 39 million than he is to be a player that is worth the 39 million. Tobias is a solid player. He’s just not a max player. And he’s getting shopped because he doesn’t fit with the Sixers Big 3.
agree to disagree on that (Garland being worth more or less than the 39 mil)...guess we'll wait to find out.