• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement with some of this and I agree he's not 2X the player Sexton is. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Sexton not being mentioned on the same level as, say, Brunson, when it comes to worth.

with the cap expected to spike quite a bit and Garland still young with room to improve, do you consider there will very possibly be a time where he'll be underpaid in this deal?
I don’t think there’s ever any risk of him being underpaid now at 39 million per season. If the Cavs are going to rise to the heights you want, the only guy on that team that will bring them there is Mobley’s assent, not Garlands. Ideally, they add a star to Mobley and Garland and Garland becomes the team’s secondary option.

Brunson is a great example. That’s an overpay from a desperate poorly run franchise.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree to disagree on that (Garland being worth more or less than the 39 mil)...guess we'll wait to find out.
I feel pretty good. He needs to rise to a point where you say “well Luka makes 43 million and Garland only makes 39 million. What a value!” I feel pretty good making the bet that never happens.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great example. I don’t think KAT is worth a max myself. But the rules of the game say he is because of accolades he’s been handed.
But in Garland’s case I think his contract just hit before you see the player he CAN become. We will see. Right now he is overpaid but most players are imo

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel pretty good. He needs to rise to a point where you say “well Luka makes 43 million and Garland only makes 39 million. What a value!” I feel pretty good making the bet that never happens.
Yeah but you can’t compare every player. Luka is already a top 5 player. What about say Zach Lavine? 75% of the league is overpaid. Guys still on rookie contracts ballin out are underpaid

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see paying Garland 39 million as similar to what happened to the Sixers with Tobias Harris. Circumstances dictated that on paper he was a guy you max. Yet he isn’t an elite player deserving of a “max”.

Odd comparison. Garland's only 22. Was an all star. And averaged 21.7 & 8.6.

By the time Harris was 22 he was on team # 2. He's played for 5 teams. Never been an all star. And didn't average at least 20 in a season until his 8th year in the league.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wont be someone like Luka where you'd say he's overpaid but you think Westbrook and Wall will be the last to have incredibly bad deals for their teams down the road?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think there’s ever any risk of him being underpaid now at 39 million per season. If the Cavs are going to rise to the heights you want, the only guy on that team that will bring them there is Mobley’s assent, not Garlands. Ideally, they add a star to Mobley and Garland and Garland becomes the team’s secondary option.

Brunson is a great example. That’s an overpay from a desperate poorly run franchise.
Dallas offered him a similar deal

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you can’t compare every player. Luka is already a top 5 player. What about say Zach Lavine? 75% of the league is overpaid. Guys still on rookie contracts ballin out are underpaid
Yes...not crazy at all to think Garland could be considered underpaid at some point based on Lavine's deal. Perhaps Beal, as well.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and i would even go higher than 75%

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You need both and probably another guy in the league today. It’s a plus Mobley will be on his rookie contract for a handful of years though. Dray, Steph and Klay were all paid like max players but was Dray a max guy. Wouldn’t compare Garland to him but you need to pay your guys. Garland isn’t a bad contract even at this point. Getting Allen and Rubio at great prices helps and possibly Sexton

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies for sure are underpaid.....they can make up for it in later deals when they will be grossly overpaid. Weird system.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt to be a title contender we likely need Mobley to live up to the hype/comparisons and be better than Garland.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need both and probably another guy in the league today. It’s a plus Mobley will be on his rookie contract for a handful of years though. Dray, Steph and Klay were all paid like max players but was Dray a max guy. Wouldn’t compare Garland to him but you need to pay your guys. Garland isn’t a bad contract even at this point. Getting Allen and Rubio at great prices helps and possibly Sexton
Markkanen too.

Key is having a guy like Gilbert who will likely pay whatever he's allowed to pay if it means we can be a contender. We'll go well over the cap regardless so does it really matter if he's paying Garland $39 mil as opposed to $10-15 mil less than that? Unless you are an heir of Gilbert?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12

Have you watched the 30 for 30 on the 1996 Women's Olympic Team?

It's pretty good.

Crazy to hear someone thought Dawn Staley and Lisa Leslie were not good enough to make the 1992 team.

They told Dawn she was too small to play for them.....lol

...and promptly dropped from Gold to a Bronze medal.

Ffs

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KD is going to be 34 next season with not the greatest health. Depending on how much teams give up to get him, i don't really see him winning anywhere tbh

Ironically, his best shot would likely be staying in Brooklyn and upgrading some players...That team was a shot away from beating a healthy Mil without Kyrie even playing.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in Garland’s case I think his contract just hit before you see the player he CAN become. We will see. Right now he is overpaid but most players are imo
That would put him in Dwayne Wade territory…a top 5-10 player in his prime. Awesome if he gets there. I just don’t see it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wont be someone like Luka where you'd say he's overpaid but you think Westbrook and Wall will be the last to have incredibly bad deals for their teams down the road?
Everybody’s contract looks great when you put them up against the worst contracts in the league. It’s nearly an impossible contract for him to put perform. I’m not hating on Garland here. I’m criticizing the system that says if a player gets an accolade he gets slotted into a spot for a “max”. The system is flawed. Cavs bid against essentially no one and yet if they wanted to keep this player this was what was needed to be done.