• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixed feelings on what the Lakers have done so far.

I like the Jones signing. He's worth a flier on as a capable center. He showed a little growth in his game last year so there's some good value there. I don't mind the Brown and Toscano-Anderson signings either (though I'm not expecting much of anything either). Younger guys, maybe something there. I like JTA as a regular season rotation player as he's shown some decent energy for the Warriors last few years. Brown might have more upside.

I do not like the Walker signing at all. The Lakers needs wings and front court help. With Lebron, you need to surround him with shooting and defense. Walker can do neither. He's pretty damn bad at defense, poor shooting with a couple of seasons cracking league average at 3. Now I get that you're not going to get quality 3 and D guys for the 6 mil the Lakers had to offer (look at what Gary Harris got for example), but you should still be able to find a guy that can shoot or a guy that can play defense. To use all of your 6 mil MLE on a guy that can do neither this early into free agency seems like a wasteful and reckless move.

But on the positive, at least they are all young. No one has AARP membership cards so at least they learned their lesson in that regard to team building.
I'd rather give the MLE to Markieff Morris than Walker, tbh.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 players under contract.

And Brown Jr and Toscano-Anderson are listed as SF's, we can use more guards.

dude- you are re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you can’t think long-term with Kyrie EVER. You can’t even think short-term. He’s a nutcase
honestly- if the price for Kyrie is basically nothing-- since he is on the 1 year deal- I would have the Cavs trade for him.......whats the risk? if he is an asshole unload him asa an expiring at the deadline. I would trade LeVert for him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker shot 40% on 3's a few years back...a shooting coach can help with that.
lol...DJ- he shot like 61 three's that year. Thats not exaclty a robust sample size---- but i applaud the effort.

I think that when you look at Walker- he is 23. He has been in the Spurs organization- which is a plus. But is also concerns me the spurs let a 23 year old former 1st round pick of theirs walk for hardly anything.

We shall see. At least we know he is better than guys with nothing left in the tank like Bazemore and Ariza

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but we have seen this before. KD has his preferred destinations and I venture to say the list is short. They aren’t going to shit on him and send him to a bad team for the best package.

You think free agents will sign with them again, they already look bad. You ship him to a shit team and you wont ever see a big FA again. That would be a very stupid move and they wont do that.

I’m not saying they have to lower their price, I’m saying it could come to a point they aren’t going to get what they exactly want. It’s reality. They have leverage but again, KD has a preferred list and they are going to ship him to a contender
Shane

what do you think of LeVert, Osman, and maybe a couple 2nd rounders for Kyrie?

I would do that. I would say that is low level risk.

IF- and its a BIIIIIIIIIIIG IF- he is on his best behavior- you get an elite scorer and a guy that once played well for you......if not- you havent risked much

the other- pie in the sky theory would be---- you have his Bird Rights and LBJ is a free agent next year and sees Garland, Mobley, Allen, Kyrie, etc. sitting in Cleveland.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly- if the price for Kyrie is basically nothing-- since he is on the 1 year deal- I would have the Cavs trade for him.......whats the risk? if he is an asshole unload him asa an expiring at the deadline. I would trade LeVert for him.
If he plays half the games for a team he wanted to go to, how much will he show up for a team he doesn't want?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance

I have not seen you comment on Beal yet.

What do you think of re-signing your franchise player to the 5 year 250 million dollar contract?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Even with Kyrie that supporting cast is horrendous.

I will say it again

Blow it up
no doubt the supporting cast is horrendous......but Kyrie on the Lakers with LeBron and Davis is intriguing.

I just want my team to win--- it sucks Irving is a terrible guy--- but I would take him on the Cavs if it was cheap. He can still play and LeBron did keep him focused

I would imagine that Kyrie can go one of two ways--- (i) continue being a mercurial dick, or (ii) realize he is in a contract year, be on his best behavior in order to get himself paid.

For the Lakers- its a worthwhile gamble. If you get a humbled Kyrie (I cant believe I just typed those words, lol)- it exponentially improves the chances of LeBron staying.

Its a worthwhile gamble for them. IF I was them I would push every chip, every pick in the middle of the table to get it done- if its possible.

If another team actually thinks its worth the risk that has actual assets- they will get trumped. Lakers picks are pretty limited that they can deal- and with how much Kyrie was an asshole I think Nets ownership is not going to try and do him any favors.

personally - I hope he goes to the Mavs. I think he would be a good fit there- and that the Cuban ownership and Kidd coaching could bring him under somewhat control.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KAT though....already a bad contract?
what do you think of Beal and 250 mill?

on some level- I realize this is the cost of doing business---- but for some reason I just dont think this guy has it in him. I dont know. IT seems shooting guards that can score and pass a little and play no D are not impossible to find.

I just dont see where it gets the Wizards short term or long term. But I guess the other argument is- if you are trying to acquire stars- you have to have a guy in place first.
I just see it as keeping them in the bottom side of the middle.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geez...is he that much of an asshole that really no one wants him beside the Lakers?

I mean- the talent is mesmerizing but holy shit...hes on an expiring deal. Its hard for me to believe he is that much of a cancer no one will give up anything of value for him- but then again- he basically destroyed the Nets from the inside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking the Nets would want picks and a player for KD but they want 2 all stars....LOL.

Simmons next summer.

I would like to get Irving for those picks and other stuff but we'll see...

They don’t have any of their own picks so they need to try and compete.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But better than last year. Irving alone fixes that. Hell, telling Westbrook to stay home would improve it quite a bit. lol

That is just it though.

Look at the teams that have played in the Finals last 3 years.

3 point threats up and down the roster with maybe 1 or 2 non shooting bigs, or creators.

I just don’t think you can win in the modern NBA without at least proficient 3 point shooting.

Maybe the Lakers will have enough? But it doesn’t look like the FO is placing nearly enough priority on shooting.