• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions Off-Season Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not the player I dislike, it's all the possibilities for him to reach those incentives to get to 2.4M/ Those incentives are all LBTE and become inclusive towards this year's cap hit.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Levi Wallace

Desmond King

P.J. Williams

Ahkello Witherspoon

Kyle Fuller

I wanted to draft Kyle Fuller. If we dont resign TW3 then I would make Marcus Williams the priority before looking at nickle or CB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the brighter side we have this

Dave Birkett noted that the deal is less than what a tender would have cost, which means it’s less than $2.4 million.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to draft Kyle Fuller. If we dont resign TW3 then I would make Marcus Williams the priority before looking at nickle or CB.

We still need a NB and I doubt one would be expensive to sign. Holmes did sign Robey-Coleman last year and I would think a similar result happens this year. PJ Williams shouldn't be all that expensive and knowing Glenn and his scheme is a huge plus.

Yes, I do think that Marcus Williams is a priority at Safety, but Holmes will have to have alternatives.

Marcus and PJ Williams would solidify a starting Safety and a vet who can play anywhere in the secondary.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the player I dislike, it's all the possibilities for him to reach those incentives to get to 2.4M/ Those incentives are all LBTE and become inclusive towards this year's cap hit.
You know me. I dont believe in that stuff.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The market for Charles Harris may be steeper, but I still think he returns to the Lions. Pass rushers are a premium in the NFL, but I think teams might migrate towards players with better track records than Harris. 2021 was by far his most successful season, and teams may view it as a flash in the pan.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Walker and Harris are the two key names to watch, but there are other reasonable moves to make as well. Alex Anzalone was mediocre in his first year with the Lions but given their lack of depth at linebacker and the minimal interest he’ll garner in free agency, there’s almost no reason not to bring him back on a low-cost deal. Kalif Raymond, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, and KhaDarel Hodge fall into a similar category: there’s little harm in bringing them back if the price is right.

Finally, I think Shaun Dion Hamilton stands a good chance of returning. Hamilton was having an excellent preseason and may have been in the running for a starting linebacker role.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. I hope whatever is going on with Crosby's health the medical personnel he has figures it out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're a little off in what cap remains prior to new league year. They didn't account for dead money already incurred for the new league year.

I guess, it's a good situation for the Lions that all the $$$ left on the table due to players injuries that they didn't have to pay out all the bonus, LTBE etc.

Here’s how this is established. Starting with the base cap established by the league and adding the team-specific rollover, as well as adding in team-specific adjustments (alterations made based on 2021 contracts where terms were not met, i.e. bonuses not achieved or game checks not earned), you arrive at a maximum spending amount. For the Lions, that formula looks like this:

$208,200,000 (base) + 1,079,476 (rollover) + $8,401,096 (adjustments) = $217, 680, 572

That new maximum amount, is the fifth most in the NFL this season, according to OverTheCap.com.

Now that the maximum salary cap is established, in order to determine available cap space, we need to look at the contracts the Lions currently have in place for 2022, keeping in mind only the top-51 could towards the salary cap. According to OTC, the Lions have $25.8 million in cap space, but they have yet to adjust for the release of Flowers, meaning another $10.4 will be added. (Note: these figures are backed up by the NFLPA salary tracker)

Meaning, based on these conditions, the Lions enter the 2022 season with over $36 million in salary cap space, an estimated sixth-most in the NFL based on OTC’s projections.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope someone else signs Anzelone, because it is clear Campbell and crew can't view him objectively

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft class will be a net cost of 9.4M should they draft exactly at the current projected slots. Each drafted player means one of the lower cost players signed to a futures contract will drop off the Top 51. Each of those players is a minimum of 825K

The Lions also have to factor funds for their draft class into their offseason plans, which OTC projects will cost them roughly $16 million if they retain all their picks. Again, all teams have to account this in, and the Lions will still remain in solid shape with their cap situation.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope someone else signs Anzelone, because it is clear Campbell and crew can't view him objectively

Freep writer had an article (subscription required) stating that his sources within the Lions were stating that they would like to have Anzalone back for this upcoming season.

I don't subscribe to any of those,

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There it is @Mebert

Anzalone is the big re-signing of the group, as he was a defensive captain for the team last year. Per Dave Birkett, Anzalone’s deal is for one year and worth up to $4 million.

UPDATE: Birkett notes that a deal between the Lions and Anzalone is not done yet, but the sides “are working on it.”

He’s coming off a season in which he tallied 78 tackles, 1.0 sacks, seven passes defended, and an interception. Perhaps more importantly, he provided veteran leadership and familiarity with what the Lions wanted to accomplish at the linebacker level. His re-signing doesn’t necessarily guarantee a spot in the starting lineup with that price, but he brings the kind of depth and grit this Lions team covets.

Joining him in the linebacker group is Hamilton, who lost his entire 2021 season due to an undisclosed injury that landed him on injured reserve. Hamilton showed a lot of promise in training camp and at just 26 years old, he could have some room to grow.

As of now, the Lions have seven linebackers signed to the 2022 roster: Anzalone, Derrick Barnes, Josh Woods, Anthony Pittman (ERFA tendered), Curtis Bolden Tavante Beckett, and Hamilton.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4M for Anzalone is a joke. The contract Has To Be incentive laden.

This re-signing and the trade for Trinity Benson are the two moves at the top of my list that has me questioning Holmes at times.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore’s re-signing had already been announced and is reportedly worth $1.75 million for one year. However, Elliott’s signing is new. Surprisingly, Elliott—a main contributor on special teams—was not amongst the 13 exclusive rights free agents who were tendered last week. However, the Lions, instead, opted to just give him a normal contract. The terms of that deal have not been announced yet.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Note: Latest updates will be on top. Reported and official signings will be in bold.

Monday, March 14

Sunday, March 13

Saturday, March 12

• C Evan Brown — Per Dave Birkett, the Lions and Brown (a restricted free agent) have a mutual interest in a new deal.

Thursday, March 10

Wednesday, March 9

Tuesday, March 8

Sunday, March 6

• Per Dave Birkett, the Lions are expected to be “major players” in the free agent receiver market.

Tuesday, February 22

Thursday, February 17