• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions Off-Season Thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4M for Anzalone is a joke. The contract Has To Be incentive laden.

This re-signing and the trade for Trinity Benson are the two moves at the top of my list that has me questioning Holmes at times.
I dont mind Anzalone and it is only 1 year. Benson I did not like from day 1. Just thought the latter was a guy out of nowhere and really would rather draft a guy. Heck, I am planning on Cephus being our number 5 this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont believe in ST aces who have no value other than that.

That was pretty much what JRM and Miles Killibrew were good at and yet you still think there is hope for JRM to have a starting LB role and be at least average or slightly above that.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4M for Anzalone is a joke. The contract Has To Be incentive laden.

This re-signing and the trade for Trinity Benson are the two moves at the top of my list that has me questioning Holmes at times.
Campbell's love of that guy is baffling. He could do no wrong

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There it is @Mebert

Anzalone is the big re-signing of the group, as he was a defensive captain for the team last year. Per Dave Birkett, Anzalone’s deal is for one year and worth up to $4 million.

UPDATE: Birkett notes that a deal between the Lions and Anzalone is not done yet, but the sides “are working on it.”

He’s coming off a season in which he tallied 78 tackles, 1.0 sacks, seven passes defended, and an interception. Perhaps more importantly, he provided veteran leadership and familiarity with what the Lions wanted to accomplish at the linebacker level. His re-signing doesn’t necessarily guarantee a spot in the starting lineup with that price, but he brings the kind of depth and grit this Lions team covets.

Joining him in the linebacker group is Hamilton, who lost his entire 2021 season due to an undisclosed injury that landed him on injured reserve. Hamilton showed a lot of promise in training camp and at just 26 years old, he could have some room to grow.

As of now, the Lions have seven linebackers signed to the 2022 roster: Anzalone, Derrick Barnes, Josh Woods, Anthony Pittman (ERFA tendered), Curtis Bolden Tavante Beckett, and Hamilton.
Makes no sense to have all these LBs signed when we will be using only 2 at a time most of the game.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've moved on from ever thinking JRM will become anything more than a reserve emergency LB in this league and let's not forget a special team's player - which the latter he is good at.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty much what JRM and Miles Killibrew were good at and yet you still think there is hope for JRM to have a starting LB role and be at least average or slightly above that.
JRM is a decent backup.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell's love of that guy is baffling. He could do no wrong

IDK if it's DC's thinking that he could do no wrong. It might be in line with thinking that Anzalone is a stop gap for the time being while waiting for a better player to sign when they actually have the money to do as such. It would also serve to think as the team improves and the resources are available, they'll sign or draft someone who projects to be better.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JRM is a decent backup.

Yes, decent as in an average player who is barely at replacement level, but he is entering year 6 so hope still exists, I guess.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind Anzalone and it is only 1 year. Benson I did not like from day 1. Just thought the latter was a guy out of nowhere and really would rather draft a guy. Heck, I am planning on Cephus being our number 5 this year.

Cephus brings everything to the table that incoming draft eligible WR David Bell offers. Bell was less than a tenth of a second faster in his forty but those two are nearly identical in what they bring to the field.

I'm leaning to the probability that Anzalone's base salary isn't more than 2.5M and asking him to be a mentor is of importance. I simply don't like the results he has on the field.

The Trinity Benson trade was a waste of TWO DRAFT PICKS both at the 2nd pick of each round - 5th and 7th rounds. Holmes made the comment mid-season that he traded for Benson with intentions that he'd come into form this season - 2022. Still a waste of two picks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am planning on Cephus being our number 5 this year.

Cephus could very well end up becoming WR3 this year depending on who else is signed and drafted. Right now, Cephus is pretty much WR3.

Rookies take time to understand the playbook, where to be and most importantly have chemistry with their new quarterback. It took AR-SB 8 or 9 games to become comfortable and not screwing up as much as he did early on - ran wrong routes, didn't read the pre-snap defensive alignment properly, missed some blocks in run and routes, etc.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cephus could very well end up becoming WR3 this year depending on who else is signed and drafted. Right now, Cephus is pretty much WR3.

Rookies take time to understand the playbook, where to be and most importantly have chemistry with their new quarterback. It took AR-SB 8 or 9 games to become comfortable and not screwing up as much as he did early on - ran wrong routes, didn't read the pre-snap defensive alignment properly, missed some blocks in run and routes, etc.
He was starting to take off before he got hurt. He has become kind of the forgotten man, but I think Cephus, St. Brown, and a speedy 1 make the Lions acceptable at WR.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense to have all these LBs signed when we will be using only 2 at a time most of the game.

Many of these LB's are merely for training camp casualties as they'll weed out who stays and who goes. I doubt most of these signings will have much in guaranteed money, if at all.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was starting to take off before he got hurt. He has become kind of the forgotten man, but I think Cephus, St. Brown, and a speedy 1 make the Lions acceptable at WR.
I want to keep Kalif Raymond too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, 100 agree.

Cephus doesn't have breakaway speed, but he does have extremely good route running skills, ability to block out DB's, catch 50/50 contested balls. Cephus is the slower version of Kenny G and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to keep Kalif Raymond too.

They should even if Holmes should draft a speedy, stretch the defense type of WR similar to him. Let those two contend for training camp and see who the winner is.

I'd expect, if the value is there, that day 3 might be where Holmes drafts a WR that can stretch the defense. Benson was a 4.44 forty and 1.6 10-yard split, but Raymond timed 4.34 forty and a 2.48 10-yard split. The latter is harder to find.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget that using more 4-3 base concepts that we'll more than likely be using a SAM LB, MIKE and WILL at times. I think there'll be some players who'll be used quite differently than last year.

Possible to happen, Julian Okwara becomes more of a SAM LB. Austin Bryant becomes that Big Base End on the strong side (kind of similar to Jason Jones). Shaun Dion Hamilton could possibly contend for that WILL LB spot as it is more in line with what he did at Bama.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is clear Campbell and crew can't view him objectively

Anzalone be like

giphy.gif

giphy.gif