• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting send-down probably for some mental seasoning according to Tortellini.

Yep. Sounds like he had a pretty bad camp and was pretty bad in the preseason games. Can't preach accountability and then keep a guy up that was clearly not performing. Little bit of message sending from Torts to York, but also the team.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting send-down probably for some mental seasoning according to Tortellini.

Im not worried about him IMO he will be a very good player for us for a long time. He is only 21 and moist defenseman get good at 24-25 so hes still learning the ropes

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. With preseason over, who stood out?​

Usually, the preseason slate and training camp end around the same time.

This year, however, is a bit odd for the Flyers, which complicates the evaluation process for John Tortorella and his coaching staff just a bit.

While Tuesday night’s game was the preseason finale, the Flyers don’t begin the regular season until next Thursday (at home versus the New Jersey Devils). Exhibition game action may have ended, but the coaches can choose to hold off on making their final decisions on the roster until Monday, giving them the rest of the weekend if they so choose.

But game action will always carry the most weight. So which bubble players stood out during the club’s six-game preseason slate?

Noah Cates was the clear standout — he may have been the Flyers’ most impressive all-around player during the exhibition schedule. Presumably, he’s as close to a lineup lock as it gets, especially considering his strong finish to the 2021-22 campaign. His brother Jackson also was a surprise standout, looking far quicker and stronger than he ever has before. He’s very much in the mix for a fourth-line job, though concerns remain regarding his offensive upside — for all his solid on-ice work, he finished with just one goal and no assists in five preseason contests.

Samuel Ersson thrived in goal, making 54 saves on 57 shots, and clearly looking like the best of the three netminders “competing” for the NHL backup job behind Carter Hart. Morgan Frost finished with three assists in his five games and quietly delivered a much better preseason than in 2021, when he squandered a clear opportunity to seize a top-nine center job. Wade Allison’s physicality and relentless, straight-ahead style was noticeable in multiple games; he certainly helped his case to be viewed as an option for fourth-line RW even if there ultimately isn’t room for him in the top-nine. And Tanner Laczynski — despite being largely placed on with low-skill wingers — flashed legitimate ability with the puck and even closed out his preseason with a gorgeous breakaway tally Tuesday. He’s right in the mix with Jackson Cates for a fourth-line spot.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis lasgop and pretty close to being spot-on.
That's not my analysis that is from the Athletic. My version would've been the same in far fewer words. I get straight to the point and get my points across without having to write long winded posts.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. With preseason over, who stood out?​

Usually, the preseason slate and training camp end around the same time.

This year, however, is a bit odd for the Flyers, which complicates the evaluation process for John Tortorella and his coaching staff just a bit.

While Tuesday night’s game was the preseason finale, the Flyers don’t begin the regular season until next Thursday (at home versus the New Jersey Devils). Exhibition game action may have ended, but the coaches can choose to hold off on making their final decisions on the roster until Monday, giving them the rest of the weekend if they so choose.

But game action will always carry the most weight. So which bubble players stood out during the club’s six-game preseason slate?

Noah Cates was the clear standout — he may have been the Flyers’ most impressive all-around player during the exhibition schedule. Presumably, he’s as close to a lineup lock as it gets, especially considering his strong finish to the 2021-22 campaign. His brother Jackson also was a surprise standout, looking far quicker and stronger than he ever has before. He’s very much in the mix for a fourth-line job, though concerns remain regarding his offensive upside — for all his solid on-ice work, he finished with just one goal and no assists in five preseason contests.

Samuel Ersson thrived in goal, making 54 saves on 57 shots, and clearly looking like the best of the three netminders “competing” for the NHL backup job behind Carter Hart. Morgan Frost finished with three assists in his five games and quietly delivered a much better preseason than in 2021, when he squandered a clear opportunity to seize a top-nine center job. Wade Allison’s physicality and relentless, straight-ahead style was noticeable in multiple games; he certainly helped his case to be viewed as an option for fourth-line RW even if there ultimately isn’t room for him in the top-nine. And Tanner Laczynski — despite being largely placed on with low-skill wingers — flashed legitimate ability with the puck and even closed out his preseason with a gorgeous breakaway tally Tuesday. He’s right in the mix with Jackson Cates for a fourth-line spot.
Noah Cates looked good in his call up last year. Hopefully he can break the recent trend and actually improve from year to year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noah Cates looked good in his call up last year. Hopefully he can break the recent trend and actually improve from year to year.
He did look good but i didn't like that he played primarily with his brother who i dont suspect will be making the big club any time soon. I wish they would've let Noah play with the other players who he may be playing with in the NHL.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did look good but i didn't like that he played primarily with his brother who i dont suspect will be making the big club any time soon. I wish they would've let Noah play with the other players who he may be playing with in the NHL.
We need more Aube Kubel type players , especially if we want a cup!

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However there's an unspoken secret in the NHL: There's no salary cap on hockey operations. And behind the scenes, there's an arms race between teams, navigating where to spend extra cash -- and how much of it needs to be spent -- to find a competitive advantage.

"Nobody will say it out loud," one NHL assistant general manager said. "But the divide between the haves and the have nots in the league is quite big. Not everyone is playing with the same deck of cards. If you think teams like Arizona, Carolina or Ottawa are operating on a budget that looks like what Toronto is spending, then you're fooling yourself."

What does that gap look like? Two dozen front office executives, coaches, agents, players and people closest to the game shared their insights to offer a picture of what type of spending goes on behind the scenes. They help explain where money is spent (and saved). Staff size is the easiest place to start.

NHL teams are not required to register hires with the league -- and it's not something the league tracks, nor has guidelines for. There's not even a rule for how many coaches a team can employ. The Colorado Avalanche just won the Stanley Cup with the smallest coaching staff in the league; Jared Bednar has two assistants plus a goaltending coach, video coach and skills coach.

The Philadelphia Flyers' new hire, John Tortorella, is tied for having the largest coaching staff (eight).
Some teams are figuring out how to surround their players with even more resources. The Flyers are one of four teams in the league to have their skills coach travel on the road, along with the Los Angeles Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However there's an unspoken secret in the NHL: There's no salary cap on hockey operations. And behind the scenes, there's an arms race between teams, navigating where to spend extra cash -- and how much of it needs to be spent -- to find a competitive advantage.

"Nobody will say it out loud," one NHL assistant general manager said. "But the divide between the haves and the have nots in the league is quite big. Not everyone is playing with the same deck of cards. If you think teams like Arizona, Carolina or Ottawa are operating on a budget that looks like what Toronto is spending, then you're fooling yourself."

What does that gap look like? Two dozen front office executives, coaches, agents, players and people closest to the game shared their insights to offer a picture of what type of spending goes on behind the scenes. They help explain where money is spent (and saved). Staff size is the easiest place to start.

NHL teams are not required to register hires with the league -- and it's not something the league tracks, nor has guidelines for. There's not even a rule for how many coaches a team can employ. The Colorado Avalanche just won the Stanley Cup with the smallest coaching staff in the league; Jared Bednar has two assistants plus a goaltending coach, video coach and skills coach.

The Philadelphia Flyers' new hire, John Tortorella, is tied for having the largest coaching staff (eight).
Some teams are figuring out how to surround their players with even more resources. The Flyers are one of four teams in the league to have their skills coach travel on the road, along with the Los Angeles Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers.
You could have 1 coach or ten coaches, none of that matters unless you have highly skilled players

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to find a podcast that had Torts on it the other day. He did a great job dancing around the question of just how bad is this team lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one of the turn-around points in the Flyers 2022 experience is the hiring of Tortellini because he doesn't take bullshit from players and he directs the approach as defense-minded and developing skaters of which he has little of neither right now.

I see other teams in other sports where the players are over-paid and they are basically running the show and those teams are undisciplined and have lot of shit on the roster. Their teams suck.

So maybe Tortellini will turn-around the Flyers by making demands on the players and pushing for good skating ability and the players' desire to play his hard-nosed style of hockey that is rooted in defense. But we shall see how this plays out.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one of the turn-around points in the Flyers 2022 experience is the hiring of Tortellini because he doesn't take bullshit from players and he directs the approach as defense-minded and developing skaters of which he has little of neither right now.

I see other teams in other sports where the players are over-paid and they are basically running the show and those teams are undisciplined and have lot of shit on the roster. Their teams suck.

So maybe Tortellini will turn-around the Flyers by making demands on the players and pushing for good skating ability and the players' desire to play his hard-nosed style of hockey that is rooted in defense. But we shall see how this plays out.
That's great and all, but at the end of the day, unless a lot of our youngsters improve dramatically and also the team manages to stay healthy at the key positions (which we aren't right now), we're going to have less skill/talent than the other team on most nights. No matter how physical we play, how much effort we put in, how well we are defensively or even in net, that's going to result in a lot of games where we quite simply can't muster enough goals for.

Hart could have an amazing year, but if we can't score even just 2-3 goals in support of him, he's not going to win many games.

Torts could coach the hell out of this squad, but the same holds true...Lol

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great and all, but at the end of the day, unless a lot of our youngsters improve dramatically and also the team manages to stay healthy at the key positions (which we aren't right now), we're going to have less skill/talent than the other team on most nights. No matter how physical we play, how much effort we put in, how well we are defensively or even in net, that's going to result in a lot of games where we quite simply can't muster enough goals for.

Hart could have an amazing year, but if we can't score even just 2-3 goals in support of him, he's not going to win many games.

Torts could coach the hell out of this squad, but the same holds true...Lol
Latest from Tortellini:

“The Flyers head coach continued, bringing up his past while also saying how lucky he is to get a player to pay attention for just a couple minutes.

“Our systems in this game are just not that difficult,” Tortorella said. “And I’m gonna say it to you again: I was that guy. I had a book, and it was like, ‘OK, if the puck’s there, you go here. If the puck’s moved…’ It was like I’m programming you.

“I feel totally opposite about the game right now. Especially with today’s athletes, and the attention span of an amoeba, as far as just getting a couple minutes out of them. And I mean that. You can’t give them that. So what outweighs the X’s and O’s is the will. That’s what you coach, is the will.”

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest from Tortellini:

“The Flyers head coach continued, bringing up his past while also saying how lucky he is to get a player to pay attention for just a couple minutes.

“Our systems in this game are just not that difficult,” Tortorella said. “And I’m gonna say it to you again: I was that guy. I had a book, and it was like, ‘OK, if the puck’s there, you go here. If the puck’s moved…’ It was like I’m programming you.

“I feel totally opposite about the game right now. Especially with today’s athletes, and the attention span of an amoeba, as far as just getting a couple minutes out of them. And I mean that. You can’t give them that. So what outweighs the X’s and O’s is the will. That’s what you coach, is the will.”
I guess what he's trying to say is that the benefit of having such a young squad without any true offensive superstars is that they will listen closely, execute the system and also probably run through a brick wall for you.