• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player that comes to mind the most in the 2023 draft when thinking about Kotkaniemi and Hayton is Dalibor Dvorsky. He’s a center with average skating, is very skilled and has had very good stretches, both at the club and international level, but his production in Allsvenskan this season wasn’t amazing. Dvorsky could become an excellent NHL player, but the risk profiles in a top-10 pick look quite similar to me.

Still the same guy, Pronman. But that's the concern I have with a Dvorsky pick. The Flyers really have no use for another middle of the lineup guy. I'd rather take a 5% chance on a guy become a star and 95% chance he flames out, than to take a guy with a 90% chance to be a good depth guy, 10% chance he flames out.

IMO, take the guy with the highest end something. Someone like Benson with super high end skill. Or Moore with super high end skating. At least there's something to build on with those guys and they could 'pop' in the NHL. Maybe Leonard has high enough end 'compete' to be a Tkachuk like guy.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player that comes to mind the most in the 2023 draft when thinking about Kotkaniemi and Hayton is Dalibor Dvorsky. He’s a center with average skating, is very skilled and has had very good stretches, both at the club and international level, but his production in Allsvenskan this season wasn’t amazing. Dvorsky could become an excellent NHL player, but the risk profiles in a top-10 pick look quite similar to me.

Still the same guy, Pronman. But that's the concern I have with a Dvorsky pick. The Flyers really have no use for another middle of the lineup guy. I'd rather take a 5% chance on a guy become a star and 95% chance he flames out, than to take a guy with a 90% chance to be a good depth guy, 10% chance he flames out.

IMO, take the guy with the highest end something. Someone like Benson with super high end skill. Or Moore with super high end skating. At least there's something to build on with those guys and they could 'pop' in the NHL. Maybe Leonard has high enough end 'compete' to be a Tkachuk like guy.
If we are going to draft these guys on "maybes" then instead of taking the 5th or 6th forward off the board another option would be to look into drafting the top defenseman off the board and hope he turns into a top pair guy by the time we have a shot for the playoffs in a few years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas is the northern most team left in the playoffs.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played 4 teams at 14-1 to win the cup and they are my last shot to win some cash so lets go Vegas!!
Good luck. I Would have to root for Canes in the finals. Proximity considered.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the sounds of Leonard. I don't know that he's got the 'super star' level to him, but maybe that isn't available to the Flyers at 7. Only issue I have with him is if there was a position/role that the Flyers were in decent shape on, it'd be good energy, scoring winger. TK, Tippet, Farabee (assuming he bounces back a bit from a tough recovery year), Allison, Atkinson. All kind of that type of player. But, best player available is the name of the game.

I could definitely see the Flyers really going after guys like Leonard though. All heart/energy throughout the lineup. Willingness to bang. I'm OK with that plan as long as they can skate. Going to need to find some playmaking somewhere, but it'd certainly be an entertaining brand.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he may not be the sexiest pick on draft day, Leonard is the kind of player that every team wants on their roster. With his two-way play, I could see him slotting into a team’s third line after developing at Boston College for a few seasons. He has top-six potential that could be reached if everything goes well in his development, but I wouldn’t expect him to be a first-line forward given where his toolkit is at right now.

This is from March, so a couple months outdated. But the last line there is what gives me pause.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the sounds of Leonard. I don't know that he's got the 'super star' level to him, but maybe that isn't available to the Flyers at 7. Only issue I have with him is if there was a position/role that the Flyers were in decent shape on, it'd be good energy, scoring winger. TK, Tippet, Farabee (assuming he bounces back a bit from a tough recovery year), Allison, Atkinson. All kind of that type of player. But, best player available is the name of the game.

I could definitely see the Flyers really going after guys like Leonard though. All heart/energy throughout the lineup. Willingness to bang. I'm OK with that plan as long as they can skate. Going to need to find some playmaking somewhere, but it'd certainly be an entertaining brand.
i agree 100% with this.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he may not be the sexiest pick on draft day, Leonard is the kind of player that every team wants on their roster. With his two-way play, I could see him slotting into a team’s third line after developing at Boston College for a few seasons. He has top-six potential that could be reached if everything goes well in his development, but I wouldn’t expect him to be a first-line forward given where his toolkit is at right now.

This is from March, so a couple months outdated. But the last line there is what gives me pause.

This is from 10 days ago.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idk, we can't get a top line player at #7 overall!?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow 4 OTs !Playoff hockey is wild id love to join that party again.:suds:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've read two articles as of late, and both have me pretty intrigued. Both revolve around the Coyotes. The first one was an article about sending Ellis and his contract to the yotes to reach the salary cap ceiling. I am on board with this 1000%.

The second article was about Clayton Keller and his desire to be moved from said franchise. Would love to see Jonesy work some magic and make both a reality.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from 3 days ago it has us taking Dvorsky

This is from 10 days ago.
Well ones a midget(we have too many small guys), and the other one is blah. I'm with you, I'd rather take the highest D man and roll the dice.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, we can't get a top line player at #7 overall!?

Just have to take a bigger risk I think. A guy like Benson seems to have all the skill/smarts/drive to be a high end point producer on a top line. But he's also 5'9 and not a dynamic skater. So he's almost a top line guy in the NHL, or he's an AHL-er.

I'm on board with a home-run swing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ones a midget(we have too many small guys), and the other one is blah. I'm with you, I'd rather take the highest D man and roll the dice.

The Flyers aren't that small. Deangelo, Frost, TK, and York are the only guys under 6 foot and TK is the shortest at 5'10. And TK and Deangelo are willing to bang bodies despite the size. They're not an overly physical team, but there aren't many teams in the NHL these days that would qualify as a physical team compared to 10 years ago.

They also have 6'5 Hayes who doesn't hit. 6-3 JvR who doesn't hit. 6-3 Sanheim who doesn't hit. Which probably exaggerates the lack of physicality.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers aren't that small. Deangelo, Frost, TK, and York are the only guys under 6 foot and TK is the shortest at 5'10. And TK and Deangelo are willing to bang bodies despite the size. They're not an overly physical team, but there aren't many teams in the NHL these days that would qualify as a physical team compared to 10 years ago.

They also have 6'5 Hayes who doesn't hit. 6-3 JvR who doesn't hit. 6-3 Sanheim who doesn't hit. Which probably exaggerates the lack of physicality.
Your right, it's the lack of physicality that definitely exaggerates it. Good news is we don't have JVR anymore, hoping we can lose Hayes(in a good way), hope Allison can fill a void left by JVR.