• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone who was mad that Fletcher didn't get rid of JVR to clear cap space for Gaudreau we would've had to give up a first rounder and JVR just to be lower middle of the pack. We also would've had a $9.75 million dollar cap hit for the next 7 years.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone who was mad that Fletcher didn't get rid of JVR to clear cap space for Gaudreau we would've had to give up a first rounder and JVR just to be lower middle of the pack. We also would've had a $9.75 million dollar cap hit for the next 7 years.
I personally am glad we didn't do that deal. While he is a very good player he is no way a game changer. He's def not a franchise player I would build my team around. Although I do think if he were here he'd be having somewhat of a better season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO it would've been the same thing as having Giroux. A top offensive player brings us to the middle of the pack. Not worth adding the first round pick to get rid of JVR.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Torts can mold him as he has some of the other younger talent. Want to start seeing a lot of these young supposed studs, we're changing the culture, now we need the tree to grow and blossom. If the youngsters start showing out then we def need added depth and a good sniper / offensive guy, and I think you're rolling.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Torts can mold him as he has some of the other younger talent. Want to start seeing a lot of these young supposed studs, we're changing the culture, now we need the tree to grow and blossom. If the youngsters start showing out then we def need added depth and a good sniper / offensive guy, and I think you're rolling.
There are no studs in our system, maybe one if he gets a lot better is Gauthier. Everyone else is just medium good to good.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be in Florida for the next 3 games so you guys will just have to fill me in on Tuesday.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally am glad we didn't do that deal. While he is a very good player he is no way a game changer. He's def not a franchise player I would build my team around. Although I do think if he were here he'd be having somewhat of a better season.

My number 1 wish is just for Fletcher to commit one way or the other. Re-signing Risto, re-signing Sanheim, trading for Deangelo. All moves made to try to compete this year. If that was the plan, they should've done what it took to sign Gaudreau. If you're going to go for it, friggin go for it. Don't dip your toe in.

But my ultimate preference would've been to trade Risto at the deadline last year. At least take Sanheim's re-signing to about this time. Because now you have the option to either re-sign him, or move him at the deadline. Given the state of things, if he had not already been re-signed, I would've moved him at this deadline. He would've been one of the better top 4 dman rentals taking into account the Flyers could've eaten 50% of his salary and a contender could've had him for 2.3M for the rest of the year. That would've, could've, and should've been a solid return for the Flyers. All told you could've been rid of Risto, probably with a decent return coming back (mid-round pick) and wouldn't have his salary tying you up. You probably could've moved Sanheim for at least a 1st. And you wouldn't have his salary tying you up. And obviously you don't trade for Deangelo.

That adds up to a decent pick or prospect (Risto), an extra 1st (Sanheim) and 3rd (TDA) round pick this year, 4th round pick next year (TDA), and 16.4M in extra cap space next year. And you get the side-benefit of a higher 1st rounder this year because the team is a little weaker. Then you go in to '23-'24 in a much better position cap-wise and prospect-wise. And maybe your rebuild actually looks more like a retool because you're not considering moving guys like Konecny/Provorov/Laughton to try to create some extra value. You moved guys in/out at the right times and maximized value from lower in the lineup guys. It's not rocket science. But it's way over Fletcher's head it seems.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My number 1 wish is just for Fletcher to commit one way or the other. Re-signing Risto, re-signing Sanheim, trading for Deangelo. All moves made to try to compete this year. If that was the plan, they should've done what it took to sign Gaudreau. If you're going to go for it, friggin go for it. Don't dip your toe in.

But my ultimate preference would've been to trade Risto at the deadline last year. At least take Sanheim's re-signing to about this time. Because now you have the option to either re-sign him, or move him at the deadline. Given the state of things, if he had not already been re-signed, I would've moved him at this deadline. He would've been one of the better top 4 dman rentals taking into account the Flyers could've eaten 50% of his salary and a contender could've had him for 2.3M for the rest of the year. That would've, could've, and should've been a solid return for the Flyers. All told you could've been rid of Risto, probably with a decent return coming back (mid-round pick) and wouldn't have his salary tying you up. You probably could've moved Sanheim for at least a 1st. And you wouldn't have his salary tying you up. And obviously you don't trade for Deangelo.

That adds up to a decent pick or prospect (Risto), an extra 1st (Sanheim) and 3rd (TDA) round pick this year, 4th round pick next year (TDA), and 16.4M in extra cap space next year. And you get the side-benefit of a higher 1st rounder this year because the team is a little weaker. Then you go in to '23-'24 in a much better position cap-wise and prospect-wise. And maybe your rebuild actually looks more like a retool because you're not considering moving guys like Konecny/Provorov/Laughton to try to create some extra value. You moved guys in/out at the right times and maximized value from lower in the lineup guys. It's not rocket science. But it's way over Fletcher's head it seems.
Ineptitude seems to plague the Flyers front office, everything you mentioned can be seen in plain light by us the fans but not the administration, crazy! 16.4 in cleared cap space could bring in a real stud DMan or a pure sniper. Somewhere along the line you have to figure a way to pull the trigger on one or the other, if not both.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably deserved to lose Monday, but either way, it's a tough loss. The Islanders came out with a purpose and we didn't. They also just got Horvat, which combined with Barzal is/was difficult to defend.

Hart kept us in the game per usual, but really, JvR missed two glorious scoring chances that would've at least tied the game. Normally he would've finished at least one of them, if not both.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Isles went out and got Horvat (then beat us) and the Rags got Tarasenko (and overpaid to do it, I believe). We might as well pack up our bags and go home now. Home ironically is where this season was lost. Our road record of 11-9-7 isn't bad, but we're 10-13-2 on home ice, which isn't near good enough.

I'd really like a fucking injury update on Couturier. He could be essentially the ideal deadline acquisition. He should be ready to go within 3 weeks based on the latest timeline of his surgery and recovery (4 months from late October).

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seeing that Couturier is expected to return February 25th. That's literally only two weeks away and he would play 22 games for us this season if he makes it back by then. I don't care who we trade away at the deadline, that's a massive boost to the squad for the stretch run.