• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge Kyrie fan, but a lot of the negative reaction on here towards the Mavs is kind of comical. They weren't winning the West as constructed. Maybe this works out, if not, their cap will look a lot better this summer to go in another direction. It was worth the risk. And most of the guys downing the trade this morning would be yapping about how their squad(Lakers) could win the title if they got him lol

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... who's gonna play defense on the Mavericks? :think:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s the thing

They were already a bad defensive team

They just traded one of their few plus defenders

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,885.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge Kyrie fan, but a lot of the negative reaction on here towards the Mavs is kind of comical. They weren't winning the West as constructed. Maybe this works out, if not, their cap will look a lot better this summer to go in another direction. It was worth the risk. And most of the guys downing the trade this morning would be yapping about how their squad(Lakers) could win the title if they got him lol
Nope.

This is a high risk deal but the reward is high as well....

We shall see....

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

We shall see....
This really isn’t high risk. They have no commitment to him beyond this year and Dinwiddie/ DFS wasn’t the mix to get them next level. If it looks promising they can re-do Kyrie. If it doesn’t work they can do a sign and trade and bring pieces back.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,885.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really isn’t high risk. They have no commitment to him beyond this year and Dinwiddie/ DFS wasn’t the mix to get them next level. If it looks promising they can re-do Kyrie. If it doesn’t work they can do a sign and trade and bring pieces back.
Talking about him being a headcase...

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A valid question we Mavs fans are asking ourselves. Because Kyrie's defense isn't any better than the guys who lust left and (especially with Finney Smith leaving) the team defense just got worse which is one hell of a low bar.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who has reacted negatively?

In fact, the Mavs have actually been praised. The Mavs have always struggled with landing top FA's and there was starting to be speculation that Luka was going to want out. Whether this works or not, it is the type of "big swing" that tells Luka that they are trying and could influence his decision.

Of the 3 main teams that apparently made offers, the Mavs will require the most work to fit him in because he and Luka are both ball dominant guards. No one is saying it can't work. We're just pointing out that fitting him in will be harder than it would be with the Lakers or Suns. Kyrie needs the ball a lot to be at his most effective, but do you want him taking the ball out of Luka's hands?

There are ways to help make it work, like staggering their minutes, etc. but it's not a natural fit, so it will require more work.

It's also weird because the Mavs was apparently not the best one they received. That came from the Suns.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A valid question we Mavs fans are asking ourselves. Because Kyrie's defense isn't any better than the guys who lust left and (especially with Finney Smith leaving) the team defense just got worse which is one hell of a low bar.
Your entire defensive scheme is to outscore the other team by 1 point.

You have a 60 ppg backcourt on paper.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers had gotten him, they would've only been giving up rotation pieces and draft picks (which is largely why they DIDN'T get him, along with being Kyrie's preferred destination). If you're referring to me as blasting the Mavs, my main argument was that they would've been better off keeping Brunson this summer (and still having the other pcs traded for Irving). Of course it's a good move to get Kyrie now, but it isn't without it's (obvious) risks. Gotta keep Luka happy, but this is a pretty volatile way to go about that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

We shall see....
How is it high risk? They gave up an unknown pick, a player that was said to be under a bad contract and DFS. So if Kyrie walks then the only real asset they lost was DFS and they will have $20M+ in cap space. I think Cuban made this deal bc he seems it as low risk-high reward.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I SD I think....wasn't sure.
Yeah, you thought wrong…..which is why I said they won’t.

You we’re off by almost 10 million.

That is a significant difference.

Hoopshype and Sprotrac are your friends.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has reacted negatively?

In fact, the Mavs have actually been praised. The Mavs have always struggled with landing top FA's and there was starting to be speculation that Luka was going to want out. Whether this works or not, it is the type of "big swing" that tells Luka that they are trying and could influence his decision.

Of the 3 main teams that apparently made offers, the Mavs will require the most work to fit him in because he and Luka are both ball dominant guards. No one is saying it can't work. We're just pointing out that fitting him in will be harder than it would be with the Lakers or Suns. Kyrie needs the ball a lot to be at his most effective, but do you want him taking the ball out of Luka's hands?

There are ways to help make it work, like staggering their minutes, etc. but it's not a natural fit, so it will require more work.

It's also weird because the Mavs was apparently not the best one they received. That came from the Suns.

I'm not sure why everyone prefers the Suns deal. A guy that hasn't played all season and a guy that has maybe a season left, plus a 1sts and 2 2nds? Plus, reports are the Nets may still flip Dinwiddie, not sure that there's a market for CP3 at his number.