• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was still a rebuilding year, everyone knew it. It was definitely a good surprise and yes, if healthy, I think they definitely could have competed for a top 4 seed...injuries happened, part of the game.

They have already dealt with injuries this season but the difference is they have Mitchell. The feeling isn't the same.
Which top 4 seed do they replace last year? Miami Bucks Celtics or Sixers?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree with that. IF market matters I think it matters the most in the NBA than MLB or NFL. Not really close. Players will go where the money is in MLB and NFL it seems. Hell, even those 1-31 Browns teams were able to attract decent FAs. The middling Tribe teams could have if they were willing to pay. If there were other options and we were not a contender I doubt the Cavs would attract quality FAs...same with the Bucks and others.
Bigger markets can offer whatever they fuck they want to players in MLB...so the smaller markets who spend less have less of a chance to get players. You aren't outspending the bigger markets unless you have a filthy rich owner that goes all in.

As far as the Cavs, they really don't have money to spend so if we are talking big stars then we have a different conversation. Role players will go to winning teams-market isn't as big of deal.

NFL and NBA are mixed.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s hilarious to me that you’re acting like the Cavs have done something when it isn’t even Christmas yet in the NBA. -->I think to myself where does that come from and then I say to myself…oh Cleveland.<-- They just don’t know any better because for the most part sports in that realm of the world is a black hole outside of college football.

One of the funniest things you said this past summer was how you're gonna be on an anti-Cleveland anything crusade.

I always like it when you get in this zone.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it’s worse. You see Rubio is a tier D player. Joel Embiid has been an MVP candidate. But the biggest difference is that the games involving Embiid were actually playoff games that matter. The 2021-22 Cavs weren’t good enough to play any of those. They had two games to get in and failed both times. Not even close to a comparison.
I'd say the biggest difference is you are whining about your big guy got pushed by a smaller guy and couldn't play well. Poor little fella.

Is true it was another season in a rebuild after winning the title 5 years prior we missed the playoffs. How long did The Process take to get back to the playoffs after not winning a title?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which top 4 seed do they replace last year? Miami Bucks Celtics or Sixers?
Top 4 would have been tough. 5 or 6 was more likely considering they tanked down the stretch. The Bulls and Nets played well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a goddamn excuse for a collapse. Every team in sports deals with injuries. It’s part of the game. Nobody feels bad for my team when they’re up 2-1 on the Hawks and Danny Green goes down and the series changes. Nobody feels bad for my team when Joel Embiid takes a dirty elbow from Push Off P and he is for shit in the Miami series. It’s just excuses. Injuries are a part of sports.

“Losers cry about their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock.
Danny Green sucks LOL. Injuries happen but in the end the Cavs were not competing for the title, so really doesn't matter. Not an excuse, it is what it is. They were decimated by injuries, just like the Heat this year.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milwaukee yes. Utah yes.

San Antonio no.

It is the cold weather small markets. That is what I have always said.

Yes Cleveland bucked it once with LeBron, and Milwaukee once with Giannis. It clearly isnt impossible. Have never once said that it was.

Not impossible, just something I will always bet against. And I will take the 1 in twenty years when I am wrong and bet that 1 won’t be Cleveland.
Milwaukee 'bucked it' (nice!) twice actually, with Giannis and Kareem

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the biggest difference is you are whining about your big guy got pushed by a smaller guy and couldn't play well. Poor little fella.

Is true it was another season in a rebuild after winning the title 5 years prior we missed the playoffs. How long did The Process take to get back to the playoffs after not winning a title?
1. Actually no I’m not. I’m making light of Cavs fans explaining away an epic collapse that saw them go from the 3 seed in the East to not making the playoffs. I did so by citing 2 circumstances I could have used as an excuse as a Sixers fan but didn’t. Quite frankly, the Sixers weren’t good enough.
2. Not sure on your question and I’m not looking it up. I think the last playoff group was like 2012ish and they returned in 2017 or so.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before AD's injury (and we still don't know what the hell it is), Lakers had just lost extremely close games to the Sixers, Pacers and Celtics and were 11-6 in their last 17, weathering a few games missed by AD and Lebron. That was definite reason for optimism. Trades are supposedly on the horizon for improvements. Sure, AD's injury could potentially derail EVERYTHING, but we don't know the severity yet.

Am I supposed to stop pushing for the Lakers to win games? The first place team (that the Lakers have beaten twice already this year) is only 19-11. The whole damn conference is essentially playing .500 ball the past 10 games.
No, rep your squad.

For me, I look at the fact that in order to win, Davis had to go thermonuclear and cook fools.

But, I think you are not acknowledging the fact that even with that 11-6 run, you are running in place.

First 15 games of the Season, Lakers went 5-10 and were 5 games below .500.

Right now today, you are 13-18 and 5 games below .500.

Sure, it looks a bit prettier.

But, it just lipstick on a pig.

Its not enough to stay on pace.

Lakers have to pray the west cannibalizes itself to have a prayer of catching up without a trade.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger markets can offer whatever they fuck they want to players in MLB...so the smaller markets who spend less have less of a chance to get players. You aren't outspending the bigger markets unless you have a filthy rich owner that goes all in.

As far as the Cavs, they really don't have money to spend so if we are talking big stars then we have a different conversation. Role players will go to winning teams-market isn't as big of deal.

NFL and NBA are mixed.
No doubt about that first part.....but IF a small market owner chooses to spend they can get the big name players if they want.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right...of course Rubio and Sexton were out for the season---- they traded for LeVert to help the back court playmaking and he got hurt on 2 different occasions. Allen got hurt for a long time. Garland missed a lot of games with injury- Mobley missed a couple weeks.

They survived the Rubio and Sexton season ending injuries- but once Allen was out for an extended period, and LeVert, Garland and Mobley were all in and out of the lineup they just couldnt hold it together anymore.
I know it didn’t end the way you would have liked.

But, the Cavs had a hell of a Season…imo

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Green sucks LOL. Injuries happen but in the end the Cavs were not competing for the title, so really doesn't matter. Not an excuse, it is what it is. They were decimated by injuries, just like the Heat this year.
Danny Green does suck. But for some reason he was an important piece for that 2019 group. From that point forward Kevin Huerter became the second coming of Larry Bird because Seth Curry was his cover and Seth is a turnstile ha. He was a big loss in that series. Hey, it’s Doc’s job to adjust. In all 3 games they lost from that point forward, the Sixers blew double digit leads. That’s on them.

Both instances I cited here’s what you got from me:
Hawks - Ben Simmons has to go. They can’t afford to play 4 on 5 in playoff half court offense anymore.
Miami - Sixers lack toughness and their roster construction is wonky from doing anything to chase a star to put next to Embiid and they need to spend the off season thinking about the bench, role players, and roster fit.

I wasn’t crying and making excuses about injuries. (I accept injuries because Joel Embiid is this team’s alpha and that’s who he is)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Actually no I’m not. I’m making light of Cavs fans explaining away an epic collapse that saw them go from the 3 seed in the East to not making the playoffs. I did so by citing 2 circumstances I could have used as an excuse as a Sixers fan but didn’t. Quite frankly, the Sixers weren’t good enough.
2. Not sure on your question and I’m not looking it up. I think the last playoff group was like 2012ish and they returned in 2017 or so.
1. An epic collapse only winning 44 when Vegas projected around 27 wins? You used the excuse of a huge guy getting bumped as a reason for floundering the rest of the series to a guy suffering a major injury that needed surgery.

2. so after not winning a title it took 5 or so years to get back to the playoffs. Now 10 and still no title. After winning a title before the rebuild, the Cavs are now in year 5 of their rebuild (same rules as when the 76ers made it we get in in year 4).

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you should mention the Magic, since their young core is looking a bit like the Cavs last year. Getting the right veteran pieces could rocket them into the playoff mix.
They have too many point guards and none of them are good enough to be starters on a team expected to make real noise.

But, yeah….

I can see similarities as far as having a stud PF and a promising guard in Wagner.

Having decent vets too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Green does suck. But for some reason he was an important piece for that 2019 group. From that point forward Kevin Huerter became the second coming of Larry Bird because Seth Curry was his cover and Seth is a turnstile ha. He was a big loss in that series. Hey, it’s Doc’s job to adjust. In all 3 games they lost from that point forward, the Sixers blew double digit leads. That’s on them.

Both instances I cited here’s what you got from me:
Hawks - Ben Simmons has to go. They can’t afford to play 4 on 5 in playoff half court offense anymore.
Miami - Sixers lack toughness and their roster construction is wonky from doing anything to chase a star to put next to Embiid and they need to spend the off season thinking about the bench, role players, and roster fit.

I wasn’t crying and making excuses about injuries. (I accept injuries because Joel Embiid is this team’s alpha and that’s who he is)
you actually did make an excuse for Embiid's less than stellar play......because he got hit.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-->1. An epic collapse only winning 44 when Vegas projected around 27 wins?<-- You used the excuse of a huge guy getting bumped as a reason for floundering the rest of the series to a guy suffering a major injury that needed surgery.

2. so after not winning a title it took 5 or so years to get back to the playoffs. Now 10 and still no title. After winning a title before the rebuild, the Cavs are now in year 5 of their rebuild (same rules as when the 76ers made it we get in in year 4).

Hey man stop making sense!

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD is WalMart Brand Embiid. That’s why he’s 1-6 head to head vs the Alpha. Two oft injured big men but my guy is better and he proves it every time they take the floor together. I very much enjoy it when I watch the Brow make himself a jump shooter vs Embiid.

View attachment 317311
Harsh….lol

Can we really compare AD to Embiid?

Wouldnt Giannis be the better comp?

Walmart…lmfao

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. An epic collapse only winning 44 when Vegas projected around 27 wins? You used the excuse of a huge guy getting bumped as a reason for floundering the rest of the series to a guy suffering a major injury that needed surgery.

1. Get that word “excuse” out of your post. I’m not a Cavs fan. I don’t make excuses.
2. We are talking about two vastly different circumstances. One guy is the best two way big on the planet and the other is a journeyman point guard you have over valued because the Cavs roster lacked anything else resembling a legit NBA distributor.
3. Yes, epic collapse applies when you’re a 3 seed going into the All Star break and then you don’t make the playoffs. What the fuck does a Vegas win projection have to do with that?!?!? They won like 13-14 games after the All Star Break. That’s a collapse my guy. You can add your excuses to mitigate that. It’s what you do. You can put lipstick on that pig but yeah it’s an epic collapse.