• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic and Luka need the same deal. They need to take a page out of Larry Brown’s AI plan but for different reasons. Luka is AI in that he’s gonna pound the ball all game and do everything at that end regardless of what you put around him. So put 4 defenders around him. Jokic makes players efficient regardless of their offensive skill set. They lose something in the playoffs though not having a rim protector and presence at the 5. Put defenders around him and he makes them into useable offensive pieces.
So, the Nets as stated earlier.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, the first 2 years will be at whatever salary slot the Lakers have available.

Example using a 50 mil contract.

If they only have 5 mil, his first 2 years would be 5 mil per = 10 mil.

His 3rd and 4th year would be at 20 mil each to get to the 50 mil mark.

They can also use any exceptions they have as the starting salary, mle etc.

There is a catch in Austin Reaves’ situation​

One key point to note about Reaves’ potential signing with the Lakers, is the Arenas Rule. As per Sportrac, what that means is the following:

“When a player is an Arenas free agent, opposing teams can still offer whatever salary they are able to give, but the incumbent team is given an avenue to match the offer. What happens in these offers is that the first-year salary for an Arenas free agent is limited to either the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception (NTMLE) or what a team can match using their Early Bird exception…. That results in what is often referred to as a “poison pill” structure for a contract.”

To make that simple, should a team offer Reaves four years at $60 million, the reality is it wouldn’t be the logical $15 million per year, but rather the $11.4 million that the Lakers can offer right now. While that is of course, way more than what he’s currently earning, it’s still significantly less than what he could earn.

But if it counts as their big mle it hard caps them

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so. Which is why it's a shame Dallas is doing such a bad job of building a team around him
Dallas has made desperate moves that have made them different without actually making them better. They’re trying to signal they’re serious to Luka and it’s resulted in disaster.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q

Okay….

They aren’t going to be using the MLE.

The contract, using early bird rights, will just start at roughly the same dollar amount.

Reaves is facing a complicated offseason. As Reaves has only been with the Lakers for two seasons, the team only has Early Bird Rights on him. That means that they can only offer him roughly the non-taxpayer mid-level exception as a free agent this offseason. Other teams with cap space can offer him more, but the Lakers will have the right to match any offer sheet he signs. Of course, such a deal will almost certainly be backloaded thanks to the Gilbert Arenas provision, meaning the Lakers would have to prepare for Reaves to make significantly more money at the back end of his contract than he did at the front.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas has made desperate moves that have made them different without actually making them better. They’re trying to signal they’re serious to Luka and it’s resulted in disaster.

The Kyrie trade was Westbrook-esque in that it was a panic move that sacrificed depth for a poor fitting, high usage player.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q

Okay….

They aren’t going to be using the MLE.

The contract, using early bird rights, will just start at roughly the same dollar amount.

Reaves is facing a complicated offseason. As Reaves has only been with the Lakers for two seasons, the team only has Early Bird Rights on him. That means that they can only offer him roughly the non-taxpayer mid-level exception as a free agent this offseason. Other teams with cap space can offer him more, but the Lakers will have the right to match any offer sheet he signs. Of course, such a deal will almost certainly be backloaded thanks to the Gilbert Arenas provision, meaning the Lakers would have to prepare for Reaves to make significantly more money at the back end of his contract than he did at the front.

Cap is expected to jump significantly after the next TV deal, but would suck to use that extra space to overpay someone. Been there, done that....

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13.8 points per game on 66% shooting and 64% from the line this year, all pretty much in line with his career averages. 11.6 reb, 2.1 blocks, he's been almost exactly the player he's always been.
What do you think about Naz Reid?

They are gonna need to give him a bag and I wonder if that would be 1 highly paid big too many?

I guess it depends on the bag he receives.

If it’s Coach, cool.

Hermes, nah….lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are gonna need to give him a bag and I wonder if that would be 1 highly paid big too many?

If it’s Coach, cool.

Hermes, nah….lol

He's played well the little that I've seen him, but I'm not that familiar.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it’s Coach, cool.

Hermes, nah….lol

A KAT trade would be an interesting possibility to fill in some gaps. Otherwise, Reid could be a S&T?