• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love these owners!

Just because these two were signed to 4-5 year deals doesn't mean they will be still with the team that long (or who else they may push off the team if they do stay). They have some hard decisions to make coming up. We all knew they would re-sign at least Poole, and now both will become easily moveable trade assets if they choose to go that route. Klay could very well be a trade target by next season, but if he doesn't continue to bounce back could be a tough sell. The rest of their youngsters could be sweeteners to add? The pressure is really on Wiseman at this point if he's expecting his bag...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA, led by commissioner Adam Silver, has already engaged in “extensive talks” with the National Basketball Players Association, led by executive director Tamika Tremaglio, about the league’s next Collective Bargaining Agreement, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The NBA’s current CBA runs through the 2023/24 season, but both the league and the players’ union have the ability to opt out of the agreement before then. If either side exercises its opt-out clause by December 15 of this year, the CBA will instead expire on June 30, 2023.

My general point doesn’t change

Any new rule for a new cba should dropped in day 1.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because these two were signed to 4-5 year deals doesn't mean they will be still with the team that long (or who else they may push off the team if they do stay). They have some hard decisions to make coming up. We all knew they would re-sign at least Poole, and now both will become easily moveable trade assets if they choose to go that route. Klay could very well be a trade target by next season, but if he doesn't continue to bounce back could be a tough sell. The rest of their youngsters could be sweeteners to add? The pressure is really on Wiseman at this point if he's expecting his bag...
It will probably be uncomfortable. But, they don't have to do anything, anytime soon as long as they keep winning.

They made 132 million in revenue during the playoffs alone.

Saw a tweet suggesting they could have 800 mil in revenue to offset that 500 mil tax and payroll.

Still, can't see that being sustainable for probably 2 more years max.

I think Draymond would be odd man out unless Klay just nosedives completely.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My general point doesn’t change

Any new rule for a new cba should dropped in day 1.
Huh?

It's like 7am here.

I can't decipher this post.

What does it should drop in day 1 mean?

Do you mean it should NOT?

Because, that would apply to the High School eligibility too, no?

I don't think either side will actually opt out.

So, it's a moot point.

But, if they did, the new CBA would be in effect next year.

Unless they choose to post date the changes like they wanted to do with the cap smoothing.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

It's like 7am here.

I can't decipher this post.

What does it should drop in day 1 mean?

Do you mean it should NOT?

Because, that would apply to the High School eligibility too, no?

I don't think either side will actually opt out.

So, it's a moot point.

But, if they did, the new CBA would be in effect next year.

Yes.

Hs eligibility should start day 1 of a new cba if it’s in there too

As should any changes to the “how dare you actually invest in your product” tax

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Hs eligibility should start day 1 of a new cba if it’s in there too

As should any changes to the “how dare you actually invest in your product” tax
Like @tlance mentioned, I think the owners are so hyper-focused on the Dubs, that Lacob's initiative doesn't have a prayer of coming to fruition.

Allegedly, most Owners actually want to make it more punitive, not less.

I think that's very shortsighted for teams like OKC, Cavs and Memphis.

I'm not surprised though.

Even if the Dubs make close to 800 mil in revenue, what business minded individual would want to give up 2/3 of that for payroll and taxes only?

That would cripple small markets.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think much changes for this year and next. After that it'll be major changes, both Klay and Dray come off contracts, the kids need to be signed, etc.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like @tlance mentioned, I think the owners are so hyper-focused on the Dubs, that Lacob's initiative doesn't have a prayer of coming to fruition.

Allegedly, most Owners actually want to make it more punitive, not less.

I think that's very shortsighted for teams like OKC, Cavs and Memphis.

I'm not surprised though.

Even if the Dubs make close to 800 mil in revenue, what business minded individual would want to give up 2/3 of that for payroll and taxes only?

That would cripple small markets.

It would become a hard cap for eveyone but the clippers lakers etc

It’s incredibly short sighted

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would become a hard cap for eveyone but the clippers lakers etc

It’s incredibly short sighted

I think is a one time thing honestly. If Curry hadn’t had the ankle injury abd signed such a cap friendly deal we never get where we are. The Lakers have already shown they aren’t going to pay a high tax bill and that’s pretty much how everyone feels.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think much changes for this year and next. After that it'll be major changes, both Klay and Dray come off contracts, the kids need to be signed, etc.
Yep.

As long as they continue to be successful, roll with it for 2 more years.

Winning eases the burden financially.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this a wise investment?

He's talented.

But, he has the emotional intelligence of a fire ant.

I'm like, scared for this kid.

Also, apologies for all my Brunson slander.

If this guy is worth 20 mil per, Jalen is underpaid.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think is a one time thing honestly. If Curry hadn’t had the ankle injury abd signed such a cap friendly deal we never get where we are. The Lakers have already shown they aren’t going to pay a high tax bill and that’s pretty much how everyone feels.

Yes and no. The Lakers will pay a high tax bill if they are a contender. I think that's how most teams operate. That's certainly what the Warriors are looking at doing.

The problem for smaller market teams is that they often have to overpay to put pieces around a superstar. Because of that it's harder to get the pieces they need to be true contenders and almost impossible to keep them.

Lowering the penalty on players a team drafted could help with that. It wouldn't keep players from leaving for bigger markets, but it might entice them to stick around a little longer if they think they can win a title.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone but Diamond Joe Lacob!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we so sure these long term contracts are going to stay with the Warriors? They become moveable trade pieces pretty quickly, especially Wiggins. They could flip either to a rebuilding team for picks/prospects to chop down some of that luxury tax bill.

They certainly could but not many teams will have the space to take them

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. The Lakers will pay a high tax bill if they are a contender. I think that's how most teams operate. That's certainly what the Warriors are looking at doing.

The problem for smaller market teams is that they often have to overpay to put pieces around a superstar. Because of that it's harder to get the pieces they need to be true contenders and almost impossible to keep them.

Lowering the penalty on players a team drafted could help with that. It wouldn't keep players from leaving for bigger markets, but it might entice them to stick around a little longer if they think they can win a title.

Yeah maybe, but I still think realistically the only way anything gets approved is if it lets the smaller markets offer something that the larger markets can’t.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah maybe, but I still think realistically the only way anything gets approved is if it lets the smaller markets offer something that the larger markets can’t.
Sounds like something an OKC fan would say.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean...they already could given that they can offer more money to retain them

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...they already could given that they can offer more money to retain them

With the Monopoly money now days it’s just not enough. Nothing is going to change.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does everyone have their 1st game excuses ready in case of a loss?
Nah. Some of us have baseball teams and football teams. Probably won’t get all Sixers-Ed up until Christmas. Sixers have to get in line. Sports greatness overload going on in Philly right now.