• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would seem very convenient for GS at this time. I'd be against instituting it right away if I was an owner competing against them. Seems like that is something you would have to put 5 years out so everyone knows the score

No

You’d just have it start at the next cba. Which is for 2025!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

I'd be fine with that then. Still wouldn't help GS avoid their 500 million dollar bill coming up

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you can’t change the cba mid stream

But the bullshit about the hs kids not being eligible day 1 is also grade a bullshit

I'd make it like baseball. You either commit to pro or commit to college. You go to college its 2 years. With the NIL deals now it isn't a bad idea

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd make it like baseball. You either commit to pro or commit to college. You go to college its 2 years. With the NIL deals now it isn't a bad idea

The one and done stuff is as good as gone, Lebron don’t want to have to wait on Bronnie

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one and done stuff is as good as gone, Lebron don’t want to have to wait on Bronnue

Bronny seems like he's going to college. He's only a pro prospect right now because of his dad. He's having a nice season but he's not ready.

He could go G league but if anyone would crush it with NIL it's Bronny.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronny seems like he's going to college. He's only a pro prospect right now because of his dad. He's having a nice season but he's not ready.

He could go G league but if anyone would crush it with NIL it's Bronny.

Well I have been reading that it’s extremely likely 18 year olds will be eligible in this next deal.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I have been reading that it’s extremely likely 18 year olds will be eligible in this next deal.

The next CBA? Sure. But Bronny is a senior now lol

Bryce will likely not go to college. I think I have that timing right.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. NIL makes that compromise possible.

I'd rather a guy stick to a commitment than blow up in the late season and bail on his team.

Branham... as an example could make some decent scratch peddling cars on TV or some shit and he would be halfway to a degree. He may have given half a shit about school early second semester but I bet he said fuck it when he got the pro buzz. It's just lame. Let these guys go pro for those that are good enough and the rest need to give it 2 years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather a guy stick to a commitment than blow up in the late season and bail on his team.

Branham... as an example could make some decent scratch peddling cars on TV or some shit and he would be halfway to a degree. He may have given half a shit about school early second semester but I bet he said fuck it when he got the pro buzz. It's just lame. Let these guys go pro for those that are good enough and the rest need to give it 2 years.
They need to set up advisory committees or invite these high school families to the process that already exists for kids to get good information in making decisions like where they are slotted and what those first contracts look like based on those draft slots. Like Lou Williams. He came out in high school and all it got him was the 2nd round. He would have benefitted from a year or two of college.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to set up advisory committees or invite these high school families to the process that already exists for kids to get good information in making decisions like where they are slotted and what those first contracts look like based on those draft slots. Like Lou Williams. He came out in high school and all it got him was the 2nd round. He would have benefitted from a year or two of college.

The other thing to me is you're just churning and burning these kids. For every Lebron there are 50 korleone Youngs. It's great that you can get to the league but there are only 15 spots per team. All it is doing is forcing kids out of the league a year or two earlier. Maybe some of these guys could've developed their game more in college. Idk. But you can see where a guy like Duarte can come right in and contribute.

It's tough all around because you don't want to stunt guys like Ja or Zion that are ready made right away. But these kids need protection from themselves more times than not.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only possible way it gets agreed to is if the small and mid markets can somehow tie up their players longer.

I think you are too focused on GS here.

The idea benefits small and mid markets the most. It gives them a chance to maybe keep all their homegrown guys.

GS is showing that they can pay, at least for awhile.

OKC is a perfect example. Just a few years away from starting to make decisions on who to let walk.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is irrelevant in reality though.

In my personal experience advising kids that I have worked with on college choices, you can have 20 experts give realistic, sound advice.

And it is all out the window for most when someone in their circle who doesn’t know anything tells the kid what they want to hear.

Most 18 year olds are going to believe the rosy, unrealistic side because that is what they hope to be true.

Years ago I was coaching a 4 star rated top 20 in his class by a couple of the ranking sites. He was a legit prospect being recruited by pretty much everyone.

He had legit NBA talent, but he was also lazy as hell. The biggest reason for that, IMO, was that his dad kept telling him he was the next Kobe. And he totally bought it, no matter what we all told him.

This kid literally walked around the halls his senior year talking about how he “couldn’t believe he was going to be in the NBA this time next year”.

He went to an Big 10 school and got his butt kicked. Instead of responding by working harder, he turned to partying and took the easy road. Ended up finishing his playing career averaging 15 points a game at an NAIA school.

I have plenty other examples, this just the most profound.

Point being, kids likely to believe what they want to hear before believing the truth. And unfortunately, there will always be someone peddling that.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is irrelevant in reality though.

In my personal experience advising kids that I have worked with on college choices, you can have 20 experts give realistic, sound advice.

And it is all out the window for most when someone in their circle who doesn’t know anything tells the kid what they want to hear.

Most 18 year olds are going to believe the rosy, unrealistic side because that is what they hope to be true.

Years ago I was coaching a 4 star rated top 20 in his class by a couple of the ranking sites. He was a legit prospect being recruited by pretty much everyone.

He had legit NBA talent, but he was also lazy as hell. The biggest reason for that, IMO, was that his dad kept telling him he was the next Kobe. And he totally bought it, no matter what we all told him.

This kid literally walked around the halls his senior year talking about how he “couldn’t believe he was going to be in the NBA this time next year”.

He went to an Big 10 school and got his butt kicked. Instead of responding by working harder, he turned to partying and took the easy road. Ended up finishing his playing career averaging 15 points a game at an NAIA school.

I have plenty other examples, this just the most profound.

Point being, kids likely to believe what they want to hear before believing the truth. And unfortunately, there will always be someone peddling that.

We are expecting 18 year old kids who have been told they're great their entire life to make the best decisions. It just isn't going to happen.

What I think should be a rule is you have to be rated top 50 to go out of HS by a panel of ten or something. And like I said I'm a firm believer in 2 years if they go to college. But I know it won't happen.

It's a shame too. Because again all waiting does is allow that kid to mature another year and leaves a spot in the league where maybe a guy gets a pension because he got one more year

I'm sure most of us at 18 would be less than ideal with our purchasing decisions. And then half these kids are then out of the league before they can buy a beer.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are too focused on GS here.

The idea benefits small and mid markets the most. It gives them a chance to maybe keep all their homegrown guys.

GS is showing that they can pay, at least for awhile.

OKC is a perfect example. Just a few years away from starting to make decisions on who to let walk.

I’m just saying the only way enough teams get behind this is if it does something to allow the smaller markets to do something more for a player. Just allowing teams to pay more doesn’t do it. It’s not going to happen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are expecting 18 year old kids who have been told they're great their entire life to make the best decisions. It just isn't going to happen.

What I think should be a rule is you have to be rated top 50 to go out of HS by a panel of ten or something. And like I said I'm a firm believer in 2 years if they go to college. But I know it won't happen.

It's a shame too. Because again all waiting does is allow that kid to mature another year and leaves a spot in the league where maybe a guy gets a pension because he got one more year

I'm sure most of us at 18 would be less than ideal with our purchasing decisions. And then half these kids are then out of the league before they can buy a beer.

It can't be restricted though. Those panels will have their biases as well. I do like the choose college, then commit to at least 2 years format. Syracuse has lost so many players over the years to leaving too early it's frustrating. Most of them never sniff the NBA, and I'm sure Boeheim's zone is doing them no favors (and is probably why they don't recruit very well).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be stupid to leave, that would essentially ruin the end his career. GS is a perfect fit if he leaves he will get exposed.

Are we so sure these long term contracts are going to stay with the Warriors? They become moveable trade pieces pretty quickly, especially Wiggins. They could flip either to a rebuilding team for picks/prospects to chop down some of that luxury tax bill.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

The NBA, led by commissioner Adam Silver, has already engaged in “extensive talks” with the National Basketball Players Association, led by executive director Tamika Tremaglio, about the league’s next Collective Bargaining Agreement, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The NBA’s current CBA runs through the 2023/24 season, but both the league and the players’ union have the ability to opt out of the agreement before then. If either side exercises its opt-out clause by December 15 of this year, the CBA will instead expire on June 30, 2023.