• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there are partisans for both. Then there are nonpartisan like me who don't have a set opinion. MJ was clearly GOAT to me, and still is, but LeBron keeps doing things to make my opinion change and I may someday put LeBron over him. Or maybe not. Others are set and can never change their opinion.

So then you agree that many Lebron partisans are just as stubborn as MJ partisans.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assuming you are a football fan who is the better RB, Terrell Davis or Emmitt Smith in your opinion? Davis or Payton?
Walter Payton was more gifted than the other two.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Davis was probably the more explosive runner than Smith, but you can't deny Smith's numbers. But Payton is the GOAT.
I asked because, by his logic, TD was better in his best season or seasons than Emmitt and Payton so he would be GOAT over either of them (at RB).

I've actually seen the MJ argument used against Brady with some saying Montana better because he never lost a SB.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think maybe a coulda, shoulda, woulda in a sense is he was forced into retirement. He could have stuck around and taken a more difficult road to another title.

do think we were all cheated not to get a Bulls-Houston Finals with MJ, though.

Yeah, but also at that point in MJ's career what did he have to worry about legacy? He didn't need to continue chasing titles. He accomplished everything a basketball player could possibly do all by the age of 34. He won pretty much every accolade possible in the NBA. He has 6 championships, 2 3-peats. He had his own brand of a major shoe company, so he didn't need the money. There wasn't any need for him to go to another team.

Also back then people weren't as cynical as they are now about legacy. The NBA is one of the rare sports that pits a superstar against another superstar to try to validate success on a consistent basis. We don't see that very much in Football or Baseball, etc.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

So in other words, they are just as stubborn. Lebron partisans are just as stuck and aren't willing to take into account how great he truly was or try to discount what MJ did. Additionally, many Lebron partisans never saw MJ play except maybe for the Wizards, if that.

My son is 24. MJ retired the first time when he was 1. He retired the 2nd time when my son was 6. He's not a Lebron partisan, but many in his age group are and are just as "stubborn" despite having only seen highlights of MJ.
agree, but in a discussion like this one here I think most or all saw MJ play and remember him well. some of the usual suspects might have an agenda and say Lebron, but think more only disagree with the notion that he is not even in the discussion.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't answer my question. If you had to choose from among Payton, Smith and Davis as GOAT RB who do you pick?
Well my definition is based on greatness and I said Payton was most gifted so of those 3 I would pick Payton. If we are talking about the Goat RB though I have 4 names by my definition, which is basically who was best in their prime. Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson. All can be considered generational backs at a minimum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my definition is based on greatness and I said Payton was most gifted so of those 3 I would pick Payton. If we are talking about the Goat RB though I have 4 names by my definition, which is basically who was best in their prime. Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson. All can be considered generational backs at a minimum.
wanted to include guys you saw play (and me). agree probably Brown. also would put AP in discussion.

But by your own logic for MJ, because TDs best seasons were better than Payton, wouldn't he be ahead of him?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wanted to include guys you saw play (and me). agree probably Brown. also would put AP in discussion.

But by your own logic for MJ, because TDs best seasons were better than Payton, wouldn't he be ahead of him?
Not in my mind no, every back they put in that scheme was uber successful, which is why I don’t rate Smith as high as some.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, but in a discussion like this one here I think most or all saw MJ play and remember him well. some of the usual suspects might have an agenda and say Lebron, but think more only disagree with the notion that he is not even in the discussion.

As a Warrior fan it makes more sense for me to prop up Lebron as the GOAT because it gives more credence to the success Curry has had on it. But I still believe MJ is the GOAT for all the reasons I said before. Lebron is now second IMO, surpassing Kareem.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Warrior fan it makes more sense for me to prop up Lebron as the GOAT because it gives more credence to the success Curry has had on it. But I still believe MJ is the GOAT for all the reasons I said before. Lebron is now second IMO, surpassing Kareem.
This completely. Kareem is a name not mentioned in this conversation nearly often enough.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This completely. Kareem is a name not mentioned in this conversation nearly often enough.

If you just looked at Kareems accolades, numbers and overall success independently of anyone else you would think he was the unquestioned GOAT by a mile. He gets overlooked far too often.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knocked Kerr for saying moving Wiseman to the bench for Looney would be a dumb move, but I've been proven again I don't know shit about shit.

Wiseman looks like he's been much more comfortable in the two games off the bench and he had his best game of his career last night. He showed flashes of everything he's capable of doing. He does need to figure out a way to get on the glass more though. 6 Rebounds is not nearly enough.

I think him starting off on the bench allows him to get a read of the game a bit before he gets in. His lack of experience is what hurts him right from the jump and it looks like he's trying to just do everything all at once. I think coming off the bench for the time being will allow him to figure out what is going on and where he can contribute.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. I still have MJ at the top but it’s the people that say, “nope, Lebron will never surpass MJ”. Never say never.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in my mind no, every back they put in that scheme was uber successful, which is why I don’t rate Smith as high as some.
successful, sure, but 2000 yards successful? Guy who came after him (Gary) had 900 yards less than Davis and barely over 4 yards/carry the year after Davis went for 2000.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement with anyone who thinks MJ still the GOAT. I thought he was before last season and still think it's very close.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet no one wants to see Marcin Gortat in a boxing ring. Father was a two time bronze medalist in boxing and his brothers were also professional boxers. I'm sure he has some skills in the ring.

Forgot about that guy. He still in the league?