• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2021 March Madness Thread

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the Big Ten's best OOC win this year? Loyola?
A B1G team beat Loyola? Gophers beat SLU, highest NET rated ooc opponent they played. MSU beat Duke and Notre Dame, but neither ended up rated very highly by the end of the season. I'm not aware who the other B1G teams played out of conference?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A B1G team beat Loyola? Gophers beat SLU, highest NET rated ooc opponent they played. MSU beat Duke and Notre Dame, but neither ended up rated very highly by the end of the season. I'm not aware who the other B1G teams played out of conference?

So we had to endure an entire season of Big Ten chest thumping because Michigan State beat some bad ACC teams and Minnesota beat a mid major?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we had to endure an entire season of Big Ten chest thumping because Michigan State beat some bad ACC teams and Minnesota beat a mid major?
I don't know, maybe it was in part because Ohio St spanked UCLA???

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 B1G teams beat Notre Dame. Both MSU and the Illini beat Duke. Illinois beat them in Duke's own building. Iowa beat UNC and Iowa St. Wisconsin beat Loyola and Louisville. Michigan didn't beat anyone really, just started out 11-0 and after losing to my Gophers, went on another winning streak. So when teams finally started beating them, it was perceived as a great win. Iowa also lost to Gonzaga, but only by 11 points, which I guess can be seen as sort of a positive when Gonzaga goes undefeated and is ranked #1 for most of the season. That is maybe half the teams. Should I keep looking?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers spanked 3 in a row before beating Syracuse by 10, then went into conf play.

Indiana beat Providence, Butler AND STANFORD!!! Then most B1G teams turned around and beat them. lol

PSU beat VCU and Va Tech and lost in OT to Seton Hall.

NW lost by a point to Pitt. NW is the 2nd worst team in the conf, so I wasn't expecting much here. And no, Nebraska didn't beat anyone good. They lost to Creighton and GTech.

Minnesota again beat SLU and I guess Loyola Marymount creeped up into the Top 100 and the Gophers beat them twice.

No matter, seems the B1G went undefeated vs the PAC, and most likely beat more supposedly quality teams in the ooc than Pac teams did.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key is never asking a question you don't already know the answer to, unless you don't mind letting your opponent look good, that is, lol.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick look at Basketball-reference dot com reveals that St. John's DID IN FACT add 4 players to the NBA from 2007 to 2018. So in 2006, both St John's and Minnesota would have been tied at 48. Now I'll go check Zona and ND.

One thing I didn't mention yesterday. A quick look at b-ballref-.com and it says Minnesota has ZERO national titles. So you wanna stop pretending the Gophers won three basketball national titles more than 100 years ago? And I really don't care how many former Minnesota players have played in the NBA.

You're such an over the top homer it's funny. You still think Fleck will stay at Minnesota forever because as you said they have world class facilities?

As far as all the other gibberish you said yesteryday- :blah::blah::blah:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I didn't mention yesterday. A quick look at b-ballref-.com and it says Minnesota has ZERO national titles. So you wanna stop pretending the Gophers won three basketball national titles more than 100 years ago? And I really don't care how many former Minnesota players have played in the NBA.

You're such an over the top homer it's funny. You still think Fleck will stay at Minnesota forever because as you said they have world class facilities?

Premo-Porretta Power Poll - Wikipedia

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Helms Athletic Foundation - Wikipedia

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There, that is a source, of both UMn's cbb Titles awarded to them by the Helms Athletic Foundation and the Primo-Porretta Poll.

I also have old Sports Almanacs, and ESPN one and a Sports Illustrated one I believe, and both list cbb Natl Titles for Minnesota. They list just the Helms AF titles, though. I also found a listing that included 2 of Minnesota's cbb titles at the NBA.com website a few years back. Not sure if that list is still on that site or not? But it's not hard to find this information if you just make an effort to look. Many of the wikipedia pages of cbb teams who have these Helms and Primo titles list them, not just Minnesota's page. Do I need to look some up for you?

Washington State Cougars men's basketball - Wikipedia

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the UMn cbb wiki page and now WSU's, that is two. Do I need to keep finding more for you? The St John's cbb wiki page mentions their Helms AF Natl Title.

Wisconsin Badgers men's basketball - Wikipedia

Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball - Wikipedia

Syracuse Orange men's basketball - Wikipedia

There are 3 more. That is 6 total now, the first 6 I checked, btw. Need me to continue?
Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball - Wikipedia

So even mighty and proud KU, and Syracuse, each with modern titles to claim that no one disputes, even both of these schools make sure to list their PRE-tourney Titles on their respective Wikipedia cbb pages.

North Carolina Tar Heels men's basketball - Wikipedia

Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball - Wikipedia

Oh, and UK & UNC, too!!! LOL. Now I am up to 10. The first 10 I checked. And 2 of the programs with the most TOURNEY Titles ever won, even they still claim their pre-tourney titles. LOL

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key is never asking a question you don't already know the answer to, unless you don't mind letting your opponent look good, that is, lol.

You still didn't show me a single top 6 seed that the Big Ten beat in their OOC. A lot of the middler/lower tier programs (like Minnesota) beat some of the other middle/lower tier programs. The big boys really didn't win any big OOC games.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You done getting schooled yet? lol.

And I NEVER said Fleck would stay at Minnesota forever. I merely stated that he COULD, that he MIGHT. And yes, our having world class facilities would be a contributing factor IF he stays. Minnesota's missed having a great football team to cheer for. They got over the Gophers declining because around the same time the Vikings showed up and showed so much promise with Gopher Alum Bud Grant as their coach and so many former Gophers in the starting lineup and kicking tail in the nfl. Dominating the NFL/NFC as they did was a lot of fun. Losing to the best in the AFC as they did so many times did suck, and since the 70s, and without a good Gopher alum to coach them, the Vikes have declined now as well. So IF Fleck can turn the Gophers back into a winning football team, the whole of football loving Minnesota would cherish the guy and he'd get treated as a King, and unlike places like OSU or Bama or Clemson where just winning a Conf Div title wouldn't be enough to garner such high praise without winning the Conf title game and not getting embarrassed in the Cfb playoffs as well. That is not the case here at Minnesota, unfortunately.

For the present time, our expectations are not as high as at other schools, so Fleck will be given a lot more patience here. If he DOES succeed and then is offered more money elsewhere, somewhere with much higher expectations, he may move on, and accept having to try to meet those higher expectations, risking his reputation and king like status he'd have intact at Minnesota. OR, he might choose to stay and accept the challenge of turning UMn into something no one out there outside of Minnesota believes it can ever be. Best of both worlds, a chance at producing a miracle and becoming a Legend among legends, while at the same time not having a ton of pressure weighing heavily upon his shoulders, with the possibility of getting fired being a high possibility like at the current blue blood schools.

Oh, and the money you think will only come if he goes elsewhere? lol There is plenty of money in Minnesota, it's just waiting in the wings until the right person comes along and actually proves he can win. Fleck is close to doing that. He accomplished the first step, winning double digit games and a big time bowl game. Next thing he has to do before he gets that big contract is a B1G West Division Title. If he does that, the money will come, and then if he proves he can win a conf title, and make a run at a Natl Title, he could make just as much money here as he could anywhere else. Minnesotans would pay for a guy they believe can bring them what they have been missing and wanting for so many decades now.

As for the recruiting disadvantage Minnesota has, well Fleck's RTB schtick can make up for that, as with it, he can offer recruits from all over the nation, who like that kind of thing, the best place to go to get that kind of thing. Sort of like how Notre Dame could get people from all over the nation if they were catholic. And like I've said many many times before, the big boys who you think will could so easily steal Fleck away from Minnesota, might not be as open to having a guy with Fleck's RTB schtick running their shows. I suppose with enough money they could demand he drop all of that stuff, but there would be no evidence that he can win without it, so why take the risk?

AND, finally, IF Fleck does succeed in turning Minnesota into a B1G West Division winner or maybe even a Conf Title winner, and then gets stolen away, well sh1t like that happens all the time, but in this case, at least when he leaves, replacing him will be much easier than it was to get him in the first place as he'll have proven success can be had here. So either way, I'll live with it and feel confident in the Gopher's prospects going forward. The only way things will turn bad for the Gophers, is if Fleck fails, then who would want him?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You done getting schooled yet? lol.

And I NEVER said Fleck would stay at Minnesota forever. I merely stated that he COULD, that he MIGHT. And yes, our having world class facilities would be a contributing factor IF he stays. Minnesota's missed having a great football team to cheer for. They got over the Gophers declining because around the same time the Vikings showed up and showed so much promise with Gopher Alum Bud Grant as their coach and so many former Gophers in the starting lineup and kicking tail in the nfl. Dominating the NFL/NFC as they did was a lot of fun. Losing to the best in the AFC as they did so many times did suck, and since the 70s, and without a good Gopher alum to coach them, the Vikes have declined now as well. So IF Fleck can turn the Gophers back into a winning football team, the whole of football loving Minnesota would cherish the guy and he'd get treated as a King, and unlike places like OSU or Bama or Clemson where just winning a Conf Div title wouldn't be enough to garner such high praise without winning the Conf title game and not getting embarrassed in the Cfb playoffs as well. That is not the case here at Minnesota, unfortunately.

For the present time, our expectations are not as high as at other schools, so Fleck will be given a lot more patience here. If he DOES succeed and then is offered more money elsewhere, somewhere with much higher expectations, he may move on, and accept having to try to meet those higher expectations, risking his reputation and king like status he'd have intact at Minnesota. OR, he might choose to stay and accept the challenge of turning UMn into something no one out there outside of Minnesota believes it can ever be. Best of both worlds, a chance at producing a miracle and becoming a Legend among legends, while at the same time not having a ton of pressure weighing heavily upon his shoulders, with the possibility of getting fired being a high possibility like at the current blue blood schools.

Oh, and the money you think will only come if he goes elsewhere? lol There is plenty of money in Minnesota, it's just waiting in the wings until the right person comes along and actually proves he can win. Fleck is close to doing that. He accomplished the first step, winning double digit games and a big time bowl game. Next thing he has to do before he gets that big contract is a B1G West Division Title. If he does that, the money will come, and then if he proves he can win a conf title, and make a run at a Natl Title, he could make just as much money here as he could anywhere else. Minnesotans would pay for a guy they believe can bring them what they have been missing and wanting for so many decades now.

As for the recruiting disadvantage Minnesota has, well Fleck's RTB schtick can make up for that, as with it, he can offer recruits from all over the nation, who like that kind of thing, the best place to go to get that kind of thing. Sort of like how Notre Dame could get people from all over the nation if they were catholic. And like I've said many many times before, the big boys who you think will could so easily steal Fleck away from Minnesota, might not be as open to having a guy with Fleck's RTB schtick running their shows. I suppose with enough money they could demand he drop all of that stuff, but there would be no evidence that he can win without it, so why take the risk?

AND, finally, IF Fleck does succeed in turning Minnesota into a B1G West Division winner or maybe even a Conf Title winner, and then gets stolen away, well sh1t like that happens all the time, but in this case, at least when he leaves, replacing him will be much easier than it was to get him in the first place as he'll have proven success can be had here. So either way, I'll live with it and feel confident in the Gopher's prospects going forward. The only way things will turn bad for the Gophers, is if Fleck fails, then who would want him?

Well this is alotta nothing. And yes you did say he'd stay there forever due to their top notch facilities. I only read the first sentence of your homeristic gibberish.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@fredsdeadfriend

What years again are you claiming Minnesota won basketball national titles?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still didn't show me a single top 6 seed that the Big Ten beat in their OOC. A lot of the middler/lower tier programs (like Minnesota) beat some of the other middle/lower tier programs. The big boys really didn't win any big OOC games.
Oh, so B1G teams were supposed to know that long time cbb giants like Louisville, UNC and Duke would all end up not being so great all in the same year? lol

So who did the PAC play AND BEAT??? Because they didn't beat any B1G teams.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit this is alotta nothing. And yes you did say he'd stay there forever due to their top notch facilities. I only read the first sentence of your homeristic gibberish.
No I didn't say he'd stay here forever. Saying something CAN or MIGHT happen is not the same as saying it IS going to happen, you moron.