• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2021 March Madness Thread

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"having been one of the top ten producers of NBA talent most of it's history" <----- your words

SI-.com: which schools have produced the most NBA players all-time? (6/20/19)

1. Kentucky- 107
2. UCLA- 97
3. N.Carolina- 90
4. dook- 83
5. Kansas- 72
6. Indiana- 66
7. Louisville- 58
8. Arizona & N.D.- 56 (tie)
10- St. John's- 52
A quick look at Notre Dame shows they have added NINE players since 2006 and before 2019. That means, in 2006, Minnesota would not only have been TIED with St. John's at 48, but would have been AHEAD of Notre Dame who would have had 47 at that time.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota CBB has produced FOUR Naismith Hall of Famers.

Minnesota CBB has produced at least 50 NBA players.

Minnesota CBB has produced both a cbb Natl Player of the Year, and an NBA #1 overall draft pick.

Minnesota CBB has produced FIVE 10,000+ point NBA scorers.

Minnesota CBB has produced 12 players with 11 FIRST TEAM All-America team accolades and 4 second team accolades.

But you suck now, and have for some time now. Nothing to be ashamed of as I've seen about 30 years of shitty Alabama basketball outside of one or two strange seasons.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this year, and Alabama has a pretty proud basketball history (2nd winningest team in the SEC), but that doesn't mean that on most normal years recently, Alabama has been a 500 team at best.

My point? Call a spade, a spade. And right now Minnesota has a shit basketball team.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Minnesota DID allow black players to play that far back. We had at least one black player on the football team in 1904 for sure. First one to play in the B1G conf in football. We also had Native American players and I believe we had a Chinese player as well. Only reason we may not have had a black player on the basketball teams at that time was because our best black athlete played hockey in the winter time. Also, not alot of blacks in Minnesota 115 years ago. We also produced the first black professional football player, as well, along with THE first professional football player of any color.

So just because SOME schools weren't allowing blacks to play sports, don't take away from the accomplishments of other schools who DID allow them to play. Any wonder why the B1G Conf dominated college football back in the day while SEC teams did not? Still not sure why so many blacks want now to go and reward those racist schools by playing for them? PAC schools were pretty progressive as well back in the day, so no reason for Oregon not to claim that 1939 title, unless of course, maybe they didn't really deserve the honor? lol

You didn't have any black basketball players because they were all playing hockey? I've heard it all now

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"having been one of the top ten producers of NBA talent most of it's history" <----- your words

1. Kentucky- 107
2. UCLA- 97
3. N.Carolina- 90
4. dook- 83
5. Kansas- 72
6. Indiana- 66
7. Louisville- 58
10- St. John's- 52
I had to be careful when counting Arizona's #s, because a bunch of players started their NBA careers either in 2006 and 2007 or 2018 and 2019, so I didn't count any of those just to be safe, and I counted around between 13-15 Zona players started in the NBA between 2008 and 2017. So that would mean Arizona, back in 2006, might have barely had over 40 in the NBA, so NOT EVEN CLOSE to Minnesota's 48.

So far it seems, there is a good chance Minnesota may have ranked as high as #8 on a version of that list from 2006-07 or so. I'll go check on Louisville now, and I wouldn't be shocked if UL drops below Minnesota via 2006-07 time as well!!! Heck, even IU might be vulnerable? lol

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you suck now, and have for some time now. Nothing to be ashamed of as I've seen about 30 years of shitty Alabama basketball outside of one or two strange seasons.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this year, and Alabama has a pretty proud basketball history (2nd winningest team in the SEC), but that doesn't mean that on most normal years recently, Alabama has been a 500 team at best.

My point? Call a spade, a spade. And right now Minnesota has a shit basketball team.
I never claimed 21st Century Gopher Men's BB was much of anything. Just responding to the ignorance based remarks of others, and setting them straight as to the facts, no matter how ancient those facts are, facts are still facts. Right? lol

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine living in Minnesota year round and not understanding why football players would choose southern schools for their college careers.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never claimed 21st Century Gopher Men's BB was much of anything. Just responding to the ignorance based remarks of others, and setting them straight as to the facts, no matter how ancient those facts are, facts are still facts. Right? lol
But you attempted to attack the PAC conference, instead of the admitting the facts, which is that they have had a very impressive March Madness thus far.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you attempted to attack the PAC conference, instead of the admitting the facts, which is that they have had a very impressive March Madness thus far.
I didn't "attack" the PAC conference. And I never refused to "admitting the facts" about this year's Big Dance. I explained this already, a PAC fan got a Big Head and started attacking everyone outside of the PAC or outside of the West Coast, and I simply posted some information, some FACTS, to set him straight as to WHY people have been ignoring PAC basketball for several years now.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't "attack" the PAC conference. And I never refused to "admitting the facts" about this year's Big Dance. I explained this already, a PAC fan got a Big Head and started attacking everyone outside of the PAC or outside of the West Coast, and I simply posted some information, some FACTS, to set him straight as to WHY people have been ignoring PAC basketball for several years now.
I read a PAC fan make a joke about people staying up late to watch 'real' basketball, nothing about anything else and was obviously made in jest.

But this de-railing has gone on way too long.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't have any black basketball players because they were all playing hockey? I've heard it all now
Just because black players have come to figure out basketball is a fun game and that many of them can become very good at it, doesn't mean that they should have or would have had any reason to suspect such in the early 20th Century when the game of basketball was a much slower game. And just to be totally upfront and honest here, COLLEGE basketball was played by people who went to college. Unless you think things were wonderful and all black people were prosperous back in the first decade of the 20th Century, it's a good bet the vast majority were not able to afford to go to college or simply did not see a reason to go to college, or may have had to work to pay for college since at the time no colleges were giving out scholarships for athletes, white or black or any color.

And in Minnesota, hockey and baseball and football were the kings. Basketball had to work hard to gain popularity. So guys like Bobby Marshall played and excelled at hockey, where he played semi-pro hockey, baseball where he played for the Gophers and later for traveling semi-pro teams, and football where he earned enough respect to get into the cfb hall of fame, and he's also accredited as THE FIRST EVER black pro football player, along with one other guy, Fritz Pollard I believe?! And he also boxed as well.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a PAC fan make a joke about people staying up late to watch 'real' basketball, nothing about anything else and was obviously made in jest.

But this de-railing has gone on way too long.
Oh, it's only Tuesday, there will be plenty of time to talk about the upcoming Sweet 16 games.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, it's only Tuesday, there will be plenty of time to talk about the upcoming Sweet 16 games.
I did respond to you when you asked why players go to the previous 'racist' schools for football.

Easy answer...Your winter sucks.

How many 'northern' teams are actually good in the past 10 years..? Buckeyes, maybe Michigan and PSU, but that's it for any national attention.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Kentucky- 107
2. UCLA- 97
3. N.Carolina- 90
4. dook- 83
5. Kansas- 72
6. Indiana- 66
7. Louisville- 58
10- St. John's- 52
Ok, looking at UL, they've added 12 players from 2008 to 2017, and 3 in 2018, so that is 12-15 players, which would put UL down between 43-46 in 2006, several players BELOW Minnesota's 48. So that moves Minnesota all the way up to #7 on the list. LOL

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the PAC got zero wins in the tourney in 2018, and your attempt to refute this was by bringing up wins in 2019?

2018 is not 2019. And what makes the PAC's 3 2018 tourney losses even more embarrassing were 2 of them came in the playin games. So technically only ONE Pac team made it to the Round of 64 in 2018, and that team, lost. Hence, 0-3.

It's 2021, why are we arguing about 2018 or 2019?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did respond to you when you asked why players go to the previous 'racist' schools for football.

How many 'northern' teams are actually good in the past 10 years..? Buckeyes, maybe Michigan and PSU, but that's it for any national attention.
So Michigan St hasn't been any good? Wisconsin isn't any good? Iowa had a pretty good season that one year? My Gophers beat Auburn just 2 seasons ago. I doubt that Gonzaga's winters are balmy(oh, that's bb). University of Washington is a bit chilly in the winters, too. Lived there for awhile. Not as cold as Minnesota, sure, of course. Indiana did pretty well for themselves until the last decade or so(again, bb, but they had a good fb season recently). Not to warm and balmy there, either.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's 2021, why are we arguing about 2018 or 2019?
Because the PAC sucking in 2018 and 2019 and 2016, and not winning any big games in this 2020-21 ooc portion of the season, explains why "the media" and many other cbb fans basically ignored the PAC and PAC games this season and wrote most of your teams off when making their brackets going into this off season. THAT is why we are talking about the past. Past results affect how people look at/perceive current teams. Happens all the time in sports.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Michigan St hasn't been any good? Wisconsin isn't any good? Iowa had a pretty good season that one year? My Gophers beat Auburn just 2 seasons ago. I doubt that Gonzaga's winters are balmy(oh, that's bb). University of Washington is a bit chilly in the winters, too. Lived there for awhile. Not as cold as Minnesota, sure, of course. Indiana did pretty well for themselves until the last decade or so(again, bb, but they had a good fb season recently). Not to warm and balmy there, either.
Maybe MSU and Wisconsin, but both struggle with recruiting and for rightful reasons, it's cold as shit up there and you stick kids on the southern campus's with girls in short skirts compared to girls up north in Parkas and sweats, then it'd be a clear and obvious choice.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the PAC sucking in 2018 and 2019 and 2016, and not winning any big games in this 2020-21 ooc portion of the season, explains why "the media" and many other cbb fans basically ignored the PAC and PAC games this season and wrote most of your teams off when making their brackets going into this off season. THAT is why we are talking about the past. Past results affect how people look at/perceive current teams. Happens all the time in sports.

What was the Big Ten's best OOC win this year? Loyola?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe MSU and Wisconsin, but both struggle with recruiting and for rightful reasons, it's cold as shit up there and you stick kids on the southern campus's with girls in short skirts compared to girls up north in Parkas and sweats, then it'd be a clear and obvious choice.
Hey, I didn't say I didn't understand why. I understand why so many people have kids out of wedlock, too, which can often ruin their future prospects, and can relegate them to a life living in poverty sometimes, doesn't mean the question of why would they risk ruining their prospects just for some short term pleasure needn't be asked. Right?

Principles don't mean much these days, at least not when living by them may cost you money or discomfort or something else. So people go to schools despite how those schools treated their ancestors, because nice weather and chasing skirt and maybe having a 5% better chance of making the NFL(if that), is all more important to them. Then when a BLM protest is held in town and it's other people's store fronts that get damaged, THEN they stand up for some so-called principles and throw bricks or whatever else crazed rioters do when they riot. I understand very well how things work.

And hey, it's northern schools fault just the same, UMn for example tried to de-emphasize college football just when they were peaking and bringing in tons of high quality black players, and other racist coaches in B1G basketball went after UMn when we broke the rule and had more than one black starter and more than one black on the bench as well. Not sure if you ever heard of the big Gopher-Buckeye Court storming brawl in 1972? Well, that was the result of a white OSU player spitting in the face of a black Gopher player who reached out to help him up after he knocked him over in what was up to that point a very roughly played game.