• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of heaven and hell and charting a coarse..i pray our path to our heaven....be not hell..for the seekers and those attached..
and let our path..lay waist..to those..who..oppose....us seeking our charted coarse to heaven.
.and if some fall..by the way.... lord be with them..as they stay....
let none betray...
as we stay on the coarse..to our heaven
if the coarse is righteous...then let it be of and by heaven and lord given

.and an end....and a grin

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol charting a seekers coarse...i guess...

i have a lamb ...brain sometimes......lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we agree...then ..let it ..be........for all..to see..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however..it be..let lord take it with..the intent that was meant...and im sure he will....a prayer sent

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch Kelenic the more I would trade him for Reynolds.

Kelenic, Hancock, and Toro for Reynolds.

Suarez. Marte, Stout for Ramirez.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kyle Lewis (knee) is ready to begin serving as a designated hitter in minor league spring games.​

Lewis has been healthy all camp, but the Mariners have been easing him into things following last year's knee problems. He won't go north with the big club but could get in some Cactus League contests before the schedule runs out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dodgers acquired RHP Craig Kimbrel from the White Sox in exchange for OF A.J. Pollock.​

A blockbuster less than a week before Opening Day. Kimbrel will immediately slide into the closer role for the Dodgers, which causes his fantasy stock to skyrocket. Pollock also could see a little bump, as he'll be in a little bit better of a hitter's park and figures to play a bit more. Gavin Lux had been slated to fill a super utility role, but he now will probably see regular starts at second base while Chris Taylor mostly plays the outfield. Blake Treinen had already seemed pegged for a fireman role, anyway, but the Kimbrel acquisition cements that. There is no money being exchanged in the deal, per ESPN's Jeff Passan. Kimbrel will make $16 million in 2022 before hitting free agency, while Pollock will earn $10 million this year with a $10 million player option for 2023 (and a $5 million buyout).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kyle Lewis (knee) is ready to begin serving as a designated hitter in minor league spring games.​

Lewis has been healthy all camp, but the Mariners have been easing him into things following last year's knee problems. He won't go north with the big club but could get in some Cactus League contests before the schedule runs out.
His situation is so freaking weird. I can’t recall in recent sports memory of an injury situation that is more hidden or unknown.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Angels designated OF Justin Upton for assignment.​

Wow. This one is a bit of a shocker. Upton is owed $28 million in the final year of his five-year contract. He's expected to clear outright waivers and become a free agent. The 34-year-old veteran outfielder, who also spent some time at first base this spring, hit .211/.296/.409 with 17 round-trippers and four steals across 362 plate appearances last year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with this summation of the offseason:

"I believe that Jerry Dipoto and the Seattle Mariners front office has put together a unique and talented team. A team that can feel slighted and united by the fact that their previous team was willing to let them go, while the Mariners believed in them. I truly believe that will help play a role in this team’s mentality, as they try to break the “curse”.

Many will say that the Mariners chose to be cheap, but I disagree. That’s possible, but I think the Mariners have a different problem…this front office can’t sell Seattle to the top free agent hitters. I believe in Dipoto, I believe that he will be the man to get Seattle not just back to the postseason, but winning games and competing for titles. I also believe he is not the right man for the job when it comes to selling the idea of coming to this franchise.

The Seattle Mariners currently don’t have a general manager. They need to hire a general manager that can specialize in getting these talented free agents to think about Seattle as a legitimate option, not just as a team to use as leverage. The best man in the business when it comes to getting talent to sign with his team is Dave Dombrowski. Dombrowski has built consistent world series contenders, from the Florida Marlins, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, and currently with the Philadelphia Phillies. Seattle doesn’t need Dombrowski, but they need someone that can think like him, to help make up for some of Dipoto’s perceived deficiencies when it comes to free agency.

If I’m Seattle, I take a look at Phillies Assistant GM Ned Rice. Rice was kept by Dombrowski after he took over the reins leading Philly. Dombrowski trusts Rice, and Rice has shown his value in free agent pursuits, being the main man getting the Kyle Schwarber deal done. Rice and Dombrowski are building a potent lineup in Philadelphia, and I believe that Rice is the perfect complement to what Seattle and Dipoto need to make the jump they so desperately are craving for.

This team is good enough to compete for a wild card spot, especially in the expanded postseason. Jerry Dipoto deserves that credit. I also believe that the majority of the fan base believes the Mariners left a bit to be desired. It was billed as the great off-season push, where the Mariners decided to start playing with the elite financially. That was not the case, and it will likely cost the Mariners a chance for an extended postseason stay this October.

It feels like we got close, but not close enough. I hope I’m wrong."

Overall Grade: B

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t hate the Moneyball philosophy but it just hasn’t worked out ever. For some unknown Moneyball gets credited for the Red Sox WS titles but they had 2 of the best SP, the best LF, best DH, great C etc. Talent always trumps Moneyball. An analogy with Moneyball is Gonzaga basketball. Both have great philosophies but both have huge hills to overcome to win the big one.

The A’s have a great farm system that brings them up for a couple of years, round out those rosters with the new analytics numbers, don’t win then get a boat load of prospects back when it implodes. I could see the Moneyball aspect of the Winker/Suarez deal because they are trying to replace Seager season plus they massively upgraded from Moore and Toro at 2B. So without question the offense is upgraded but let’s say Crawford, Haniger and France continue there are still unknowns in Lewis, Kelenic, JRod and Raleigh. It is just a huge unknown because the offense could up in the same spot as last year but if Kelenic, Raleigh and Lewis return to their baseball cards and JRod is who has been then it will be a top offense in baseball we just don’t know.

I could get your argument if Jerry could’ve attracted one position player but he hasn’t. It may be Stanton or Jerry just being a condescending prick when he talks with other agents. I would pay money to watch Jerry try to negotiate with Boras though.

I don’t think Semien or Bryant priced themselves out, IMO the Mariners just went cheap. The Rangers and Rockies have been trash and Seattle reports the money was similar whatever that means. Both deals are for the window the Mariners have right now before the younger guys get paid. It’s just frustrating it you look at the whole situation, with the money they had to spend, their top farm system leads to big splashes. They got Ray basically on a 3 year deal, Kelenic and JRod wont get paid for essentially 5 years. A Semien, Bryant or Story contracts would be at the tale end of that window.
I will concede that you do bring up great points about Moneyball. Personally I don't associate Moneyball with the Red Sox WS titles because they also had money to spend. But I suppose that type of blended approach is what I want the Mariners to go after. Identify underrated players and spend to retain/obtain stars. But if you do that, it's not "Moneyball" it's just smart front office management.

You bring up a great point about the A's. It's kind of ironic because it's almost like a paradox they can't get out of. They develop well, identify good players, but then they can't retain those players, ship them off for prospects and they're back at step 1.

I believe that if Kelenic, JRod and Raleigh live up to their potential, this isn't just a potential playoff team, it's a potential 100 win team. But, that's a big if.

I really do really worry about Kelenic though. I try to convince myself I'm jumping the gun by focusing on his pedigree and the strong finish last year, but man he really struggles to shake off a bad game and really gets in his head. @NWinAZ and @wazzu31 please work your magic of proving me wrong and convince me I shouldn't be concerned about him.

With Jerry attracting premiere position players, I get where you're coming from and I'm probably repeating myself here but this is really the first offseason where we've been a serious player in free agency looking for a position player. So with this, I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass. I will say I would fucking love to see Boras and Dipoto locked in a room for 24 hours. Probably the two biggest egos in baseball, although one's ego is justified.

You could be right on Semien or Bryant. I don't think we'll ever know for sure. Hypothetically speaking with Kris Bryant, had we offered him the exact same money the Rockies did, I'd probably pick the Rockies as well. He will put up MVP type numbers hitting in that ballpark. With Semien - who I really wanted - we will probably agree to disagree, there's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd give 7 years $175m to a guy who will be 32 in September and has two good seasons under his belt.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a 3B coming up with Yankees and worked there last year in practice with M's.
I didn't know either of those points. Interesting. Makes sense if he has an arm to play catcher that he'd be able to play third.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with this summation of the offseason:

"I believe that Jerry Dipoto and the Seattle Mariners front office has put together a unique and talented team. A team that can feel slighted and united by the fact that their previous team was willing to let them go, while the Mariners believed in them. I truly believe that will help play a role in this team’s mentality, as they try to break the “curse”.

Many will say that the Mariners chose to be cheap, but I disagree. That’s possible, but I think the Mariners have a different problem…this front office can’t sell Seattle to the top free agent hitters. I believe in Dipoto, I believe that he will be the man to get Seattle not just back to the postseason, but winning games and competing for titles. I also believe he is not the right man for the job when it comes to selling the idea of coming to this franchise.

The Seattle Mariners currently don’t have a general manager. They need to hire a general manager that can specialize in getting these talented free agents to think about Seattle as a legitimate option, not just as a team to use as leverage. The best man in the business when it comes to getting talent to sign with his team is Dave Dombrowski. Dombrowski has built consistent world series contenders, from the Florida Marlins, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, and currently with the Philadelphia Phillies. Seattle doesn’t need Dombrowski, but they need someone that can think like him, to help make up for some of Dipoto’s perceived deficiencies when it comes to free agency.

If I’m Seattle, I take a look at Phillies Assistant GM Ned Rice. Rice was kept by Dombrowski after he took over the reins leading Philly. Dombrowski trusts Rice, and Rice has shown his value in free agent pursuits, being the main man getting the Kyle Schwarber deal done. Rice and Dombrowski are building a potent lineup in Philadelphia, and I believe that Rice is the perfect complement to what Seattle and Dipoto need to make the jump they so desperately are craving for.

This team is good enough to compete for a wild card spot, especially in the expanded postseason. Jerry Dipoto deserves that credit. I also believe that the majority of the fan base believes the Mariners left a bit to be desired. It was billed as the great off-season push, where the Mariners decided to start playing with the elite financially. That was not the case, and it will likely cost the Mariners a chance for an extended postseason stay this October.

It feels like we got close, but not close enough. I hope I’m wrong."

Overall Grade: B
Those are good points and it sounds like @wazzu31 might be on to something about attracting hitters.

Honestly I never really thought much about the Mariners being without a general manager because Dipoto essentially acts in that capacity. Personally I cannot comprehend Dipoto hiring a general manager because of his ego.

I would give the Mariners offseason a B+, the team shouldn't have won 90 games last year. IMO it was more like an 80 win team that benefitted from a bullpen that massively outperformed expectations and that is likely to regress in 2022. I believe with the development of some of our younger guys combined with the offseason moves, we're now a legitimate 90 win team. I think that changes drastically if Kelenic becomes the hitter we all thought he could be, Raleigh starts hitting like a major league hitter and J-Rod comes in and provides a spark.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch Kelenic the more I would trade him for Reynolds.

Kelenic, Hancock, and Toro for Reynolds.

Suarez. Marte, Stout for Ramirez.
Do me a favor and convince me that Kelenic is not going to end up hitting like he did in 2021.

I'd do the first trade in a heartbeat.

The second is intriguing. I would say that if those two moves were made, the Mariners would legitimately have one of the best lineups in baseball on paper.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question for you guys;

If Julio makes the opening day roster, what do you guys see the lineup looking like? Assuming Julio is the starting centerfielder, which corner outfield spot does Kelenic take? Who DHs?