• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no. This is why you never have enough bodies.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if players are right or teams are, but 95% of others I saw herewith a few hundred thousand. Seattle was one of the few if not only to be a million plus away. I just don't think they know the market.

Just looked it up. Seattle has 3 of the Top 6 in margin difference.
its ..like this as far as i know...........judge.gets....xxxxx...then..haniger...+or minus that..by stats...in last years case...it would be....less an amout of...ave....then ...the ballplayers...choice...of where.................

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so it begins;

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no. This is why you never have enough bodies.

Evan White will undergo an MRI Friday on his surgically repaired left hip.​

Not great. White, who underwent season-ending surgery last July for a left hip flexor strain, tweaked the same hip Thursday during a Cactus League contest against the Guardians. He managed to stay in the game, but will undergo further testing for precautionary reasons. There should be an update soon on his status

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not great. White, who underwent season-ending surgery last July for a left hip flexor strain, tweaked the same hip Thursday during a Cactus League contest against the Guardians. He managed to stay in the game, but will undergo further testing for precautionary reasons. There should be an update soon on his status

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLBTR is also reporting that he has a sports hernia. The young man is beginning to look like a bust. I don't know what if anything he can salvage from this season. Next season he'll be a 27-year-old still trying to get established in MLB. I say that because his 2020 certainly didn't establish him. Not with a 66 OPS+ and a 10.5/1 strikeout-to-homerun ratio, while playing in a position where above average offense is expected.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it doesn’t work the way it should but to my knowledge baseball isn’t like the NFL. If a NFL owner signs a contract with a player the guaranteed money has to go in escrow. I do not think baseball is like that because the Rangers owner was essentially forced to sell the team because of the ARod contract. If it is, Jerry was in the perfect situation to tell his boss to go pound sand because A. It is his job B. But most importantly what would Stanton or the ownership do had he sign Correa, Bryant or Story to some “crippling” contract, how could they possibly fire a guy than energized the entire fan base.

Moneyball was different in a way, everyone knew Oakland was a cheap ass organization that through its history and had fired plenty of “GM’s”and coaches for stepping out of line and Beane was on the verge of getting fired. A thing that is overlooked with Oakland is they do open their checkbook but it is at the deadline. Which to be fair it makes sense but that isn’t the way the Mariners have ever run the organization since Griffey came. They have made cheap moves like Tino but never just stripped it down every few years.

My thing is I really am trying my hardest to give Jerry a pass, but every time he speaks he comes off as a condescending prick who thinks he knows more about baseball than anyone. And if Stanton is holding up the money then how the hell did he become so wealthy. He spent a crap load of money on R&D and tech shit that wouldn’t pay off for years and right now it is penny pinching where if everything goes to plan the budget is going to be raised by $100 million just by itself.
Very insightful comment.

I actually didn't know the whole escrow thing. Now I'm actually more intrigued about how the financials of things like this play out. Perhaps the contract money not being held in escrow in baseball is due to the fact that the guarantees of an MLB contract are much larger than an NFL contract. Honestly I don't know, I'm just speaking out my ass at this point.

I only brought up the Moneyball thing because of that one scene, wasn't really comparing the situations. It was just my mental image of Dipoto getting shot down.

Lol I think we all know that win or lose, Jerry Dipoto is a condescending prick who knows he knows more about baseball than anyone. Even if he was head and shoulders the best GM in baseball, he'd still act that way and it would still rub us all the wrong way.

The only coherent argument I've seen about the Mariners not spending more is that they want to keep payroll space to extend players in the future. If Julio and Kelenic reach their loftiest projections, you're looking at over a half a billion in payroll commitments right there. Personally I'm not a fan of that argument for all of the reasons you can think of, but it's the only rational reason to hold off on spending more.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that and wasn't sure what to make of it.
Neither was I, but I have to assume perhaps it's because Evan White got hurt? Perhaps they were planning on him being the backup 1st baseman? Toro can play first, so I don't really know tbh.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR is also reporting that he has a sports hernia. The young man is beginning to look like a bust. I don't know what if anything he can salvage from this season. Next season he'll be a 27-year-old still trying to get established in MLB. I say that because his 2020 certainly didn't establish him. Not with a 66 OPS+ and a 10.5/1 strikeout-to-homerun ratio, while playing in a position where above average offense is expected.
With France at first, I had essentially written Evan White off. I don't think it would be hyperbole to say that when on the field, he's the best defensive first baseman in baseball, but you can't justify playing him when he's one of the worst hitters in baseball. They probably should've tried to move him to a team that sees him as a reclamation project while they had the chance.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fan in me hopes that Billy Hamilton makes the team.

I don't know how he looks these days, but not long ago he was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Exciting guy to watch.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fan in me hopes that Billy Hamilton makes the team.

I don't know how he looks these days, but not long ago he was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Exciting guy to watch.
I think he is here for two reasons: (1) doing him a favor by giving him some exposure so another team might take a flyer on him, and, (2) pushing Dylan Moore. Moore has more speed, more power, better OBP, is more defensively versatile, and has about the same contract rate, (which isn't very good). But he needs some incentive to hit better.

Moore is at a crossroads in his Mariner career. He'll be eligible for his second year of arbitration next winter and if he has another season like last year, the Ms won't want to pay him second-time arbitration money. He'd probably get non-tendered.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that and wasn't sure what to make of it.
I saw it my way of roster argument in terms of Torrens has no role on the team. If Winker can play play 1B then that spot is covered and just running the logical numbers it’s Torrens or Julio, can’t carry both and if I read correctly Torrens doesn’t have options left. And I don’t think any of us thought White has a spot on the team to start the season but for sure now he isn’t going to play for the Mariners this season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very insightful comment.

I actually didn't know the whole escrow thing. Now I'm actually more intrigued about how the financials of things like this play out. Perhaps the contract money not being held in escrow in baseball is due to the fact that the guarantees of an MLB contract are much larger than an NFL contract. Honestly I don't know, I'm just speaking out my ass at this point.

I only brought up the Moneyball thing because of that one scene, wasn't really comparing the situations. It was just my mental image of Dipoto getting shot down.

Lol I think we all know that win or lose, Jerry Dipoto is a condescending prick who knows he knows more about baseball than anyone. Even if he was head and shoulders the best GM in baseball, he'd still act that way and it would still rub us all the wrong way.

The only coherent argument I've seen about the Mariners not spending more is that they want to keep payroll space to extend players in the future. If Julio and Kelenic reach their loftiest projections, you're looking at over a half a billion in payroll commitments right there. Personally I'm not a fan of that argument for all of the reasons you can think of, but it's the only rational reason to hold off on spending more.
I guess don’t quote me 100% but I recall John Clayton explaining the NFL rigged their system in order to not ever give out fully guaranteed contracts. I truly don’t know how it works in MLB but it doesn’t seem to be the exact same thing because of how much money every off-season owners spend and the little bit I heard about the Rangers situation with the owners bankruptcy with ARod’s contract.

I totally get your bringing up Moneyball. A. I don’t think it actually works but B. I wish the Mariners would pick a lane, either go Moneyball or spend. Maybe that is the quality that they like in Jerry is he has a plan unless Bavasi and Jack Z. I just hate the plan of not spending, but to be fair, the Ray deal would be bigger had there not been a lockout. Getting the reigning Cy Young winner is a big coup but we were all led to believe by Jerry he would be landing Semien or Bryant and while a Cy Young pitcher is amazing it doesn’t matter if the offense is only slightly upgraded because I can’t see anyway the bullpen will replicate last season.

Problem with wanting to save money for Kelenic, Gilbert, Julio and hopefully two other young guys who hit big though is yes they will cost a fortune if they live up to their potential (plus also resigning Crawford, France and now Winker) but with Jerry’s lack of attracting any offense players to Seattle what hope should anyone have of them wanting to resign?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it my way of roster argument in terms of Torrens has no role on the team. If Winker can play play 1B then that spot is covered and just running the logical numbers it’s Torrens or Julio, can’t carry both and if I read correctly Torrens doesn’t have options left. And I don’t think any of us thought White has a spot on the team to start the season but for sure now he isn’t going to play for the Mariners this season.
I guess I don't see it that way but then again I don't have the same distain for Torrens.

Torrens vs LHP last year .275/.311/.542
Winker vs LHP last year .177/.288/.284

That is why I don't think one replaces the other because they provide opposite needs. Of course Mariners may feel different.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is here for two reasons: (1) doing him a favor by giving him some exposure so another team might take a flyer on him, and, (2) pushing Dylan Moore. Moore has more speed, more power, better OBP, is more defensively versatile, and has about the same contract rate, (which isn't very good). But he needs some incentive to hit better.

Moore is at a crossroads in his Mariner career. He'll be eligible for his second year of arbitration next winter and if he has another season like last year, the Ms won't want to pay him second-time arbitration money. He'd probably get non-tendered.
That's actually a great point I didn't consider. I think I'm biased with Billy Hamilton because I've followed him since he was in the minor leagues and always been intrigued by his speed. I also mentally still picture him as the guy he was in 2016 when he hit .260 with 58 steals in 119 games. But you are right, he probably doesn't have a spot on the roster given that we already have Dylan Moore who can also play in the infield and a glutton of young outfielders in the organization.

I'd be surprised if Dylan Moore is on the roster next year. I think the guy we saw in 2019 and 2021 was more reflective of the player he is and the 2020 year he had was an aberration.